Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Ashamed of myself

(139 Posts)
Luckylegs Sat 16-Mar-19 21:09:30

I got my sandals down from the loft today -28 pairs! I put as many pairs of boots back up there.

I got my t shirts out, there must be 50-60 I guess. Same number of jumpers, if not more.

I also sorted out my handbags and found 44 to sort through and decide which to keep.

Tomorrow, I want to sort my makeup out, I hardly dare!

What can I do, I’m not proud of it, I just love shopping.

glammanana Sun 17-Mar-19 09:39:38

I have two full size wardrobes and two large suitcases in the loft with summer/holiday clothes/shoes/sandals.
During these colder months I keep 3/4 pairs of boots and 2 pairs of shoes in my wardrobe along with my furry slippers,come summer Ihave a repack and swap everything around sending stuff I have fallen out with to the charity shops.
Up to now this year I bought 2 x new jeans and 4 cotton tops ready for spring time thats the most I think I will buy this year.

janieuk Sun 17-Mar-19 09:42:19

I can't bear shopping so I'll never be in that situation, but well done for finding enough things that you like, or that fit you!

sunseeker Sun 17-Mar-19 09:44:04

GG Lighten up - this is a light hearted thread.

Perhaps I can add to your ire by telling you another thing I have an excess of is underwear - well in excess of 50 pairs of knickers (perhaps I should seek therapy!)

moonbeames Sun 17-Mar-19 09:44:05

Master class from Stella1949 please. I am in the process of decluttering my wardrobe at the moment. Baby steps. One big bag for those to throw out and another big bag for charity. I have gone down one side and now a quarter up the other side (which I might add is my husbands side!!) Opps! Slowly getting there. Big bag for recycle and half of one to throw out. Still can't dispose of a cracking suit I bought 30 years ago, it is still stylish but two sizes too small. It is beautiful, cost a bomb and still brings me happiness just to look at it. That suit will stay. Does anyone else have that something so gorgeous in their wardrobe that they just can't part with?cupcake

TerryM Sun 17-Mar-19 09:45:05

Everyone has their quirks smile
Have to say I love handbags as well
I did try to have a no clothes shopping for 2019 but failed at week 5 or 6. Though I havnt bought much at all.
Also trying the one in and one out
Good luck with your cullingsmile

jaylucy Sun 17-Mar-19 09:46:11

I daren't count the pairs of shoes I have - and the ones I have never worn !
A few years ago, one of our nearby towns, renowned for shoes , had several factory shops - I rarely left with just one pair! When they closed, my treat , when we used to go to Cardiff was to visit the designer outlet shopping centre near Bridgend - and usually come out with several pairs of shoes from there, but glad to say they were usually for work so have been worn.
Good thing is that now I am unemployed, I at least have comfortable shoes to wear even though I can't afford to buy new!

Kim19 Sun 17-Mar-19 09:46:48

Ll, if this gives you pleasure, causes you no financial hardship and you can stand the clutter, why not? It certainly wouldn't do for me. I'm a boring minimalist. I suspect your need to mention it here suggests it might be something of a niggle to you. However, well done with your consistent tidying of the items.

Candelle Sun 17-Mar-19 09:49:42

Luckylegs, are we related?

My husband despairs of my clothes haul but I do need, for example:
Black trousers, winter-weight long-length, to wear with heels. Black trousers, winter-weight medium-length, to wear with flats. Black trousers very smart, long and short.
Black trousers, summer-weight (cotton) long and medium.
Black trousers, light linen long and medium.

That's ten pairs which, when written down, does seem excessive, even to me but apart from rolling up hems, a la cowgirl-style (which looks ridiculous at my age) all ten are needed. I won't go into detail about the additional black trousers for 'choice'.........

I do admire those who have a capsule wardrobe but we are all different and by now, I guess our shopping habits are hard to break, whichever they are!

Jools1953 Sun 17-Mar-19 09:52:27

Haha, I’m guilty of buying shoes and bras, but I only wear 4 pairs of shoes at the most and 6 bras. I moved 3 years ago and have far less space, so got rid of a lot of my clothes on eBay. Have lost 3st since moving and sold all my fat clothes, too, so have more wardrobe space than ever before.

Coconut Sun 17-Mar-19 09:52:44

Watch Stacey Dooleys “ Fashions Dirty Secret” and see the pollution caused by dyes and chemicals in the rivers around the clothing factories. It was a wake up call for me and I’ve stopped buying unnecessarily and taken bags and bags of “ stuff” to the Charity shops ??????

maryhoffman37 Sun 17-Mar-19 09:53:18

Hm. The OP doesn't sound ashamed.

jenpax Sun 17-Mar-19 09:54:15

Gosh! I only have two pairs of boots, a pair of black Court shoes, one pair of summer sandals and a pair of “posh” shoes for nice meals out etc. I own 3 handbags (for different occasions) and a small capsule wardrobe!?

Juliet27 Sun 17-Mar-19 09:54:41

I haven’t noticed any mention of selling on eBay on this thread. It certainly eases the pain of having to part with the virtually new, more expensive, no longer fit clothes.

Sandigold Sun 17-Mar-19 09:55:16

Perhaps start an online clothes shop. grin

Juliet27 Sun 17-Mar-19 09:56:22

Tell a lie...eBay was mentioned while I was adding my comment!

annifrance Sun 17-Mar-19 09:56:39

I have uber excess of everything but I do make most of my clothes, handbags and hats. I find it very difficult to chuck stuff out. And it's ridiculous as living in deepest rural France i wear mostly jeans, pyjamas and swimmies.

I don't NEED any more clothes, but I definitely NEED to.make them!

I have this week decided to sell some 80s vintage designer dressed and a couture wedding outfit. I will never wear them again, but I was keeping them as they are

iconic. Beginning to see sense.

Any ideas as to where I can sell them please? Not eBay, prices far too.low.

Magicmaggie Sun 17-Mar-19 10:01:22

I’m afraid I can’t pass by the local charity or designer nearly
new shops without buying something.
I do however, try to do the one in and one out method.
But my trouble is whenever I go out I can never decide
what to wear judging by weather conditions etc, so I try on several different outfits beforehand and then panic?
Lack of confidence I begin going to think as I’ve got older.

Cycorax Sun 17-Mar-19 10:05:22

The fashion industry is a major polluter en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Environmental_impact_of_fashion
And I'm not sure that it is particularly beneficial for people working for very low wages in bad conditions making our clothes.

EllanVannin Sun 17-Mar-19 10:06:12

I was the world's worst when I was working with different colour shoes to match everything I wore. It seemed to have been an obsession as I used to take garments with me to colour-match. I had every colour shoes imaginable, many with heels ( which are a no-no now ) When I moved flats I bit the bullet and filled 20 black bags with all my purchases.

I'm still getting rid of certain items bit by bit when " one of those bags " comes through the letter box, 5 last year and need another emptying session.

Now my " fetish " is beads of every hue----oh dear ! Matching colours of course, but I have some lovely necklaces courtesy of BHF online who auction them by the kg, large mixtures. I'm a keen fan of Gloria Hunniford who is also a mix and match person with her necklaces so I'm not the only one.

Carolpaint Sun 17-Mar-19 10:07:03

The posters that talk of buying clothes for their grandchildren and not themselves I feel sad for. Years ago I was professionally supporting a mother with a severe depression, she had not bought any clothes for herself for many years only buying for her children, encouraged her to buy herself a new skirt. When her daughter circa 11 saw it on her mother she flew into a rage that she had had the temerity not to continue to buy clothes just for her. Perhaps to reflect what is our status? I am guilty of loving to be smart and have good clothes to wear whatever I am doing, including wet suits.

Jzpap Sun 17-Mar-19 10:10:12

Luckylegs this is me!!! Was also up in the loft yesterday which we’ve just had boarded and lighting put in so storing stuff is easier now. I have sooo many jumpers as well as shoes and boots. My problem isn’t really shops it’s sites like eBay and debop although internet shopping in general are a problem. Now I have a grandson I’m always buying new stuff for him. I keep saying I’m not buying anything for a month (couldn’t do a year) but it never happens. Recently I lost quite a bit of weight so I had to buy loads of new clothes didn’t I?? Now I’m starting to put it back on again....
The charity shop loves me ?

newnanny Sun 17-Mar-19 10:11:23

I have 3 handbags', one for everyday, one for going out and one for wedding/funeral. I have 7 footware for everything, 4 trousers/4 skirts and 2 of each in different sizes bit about 14 dresses over 2 sizes. When i stopped teaching i ditched all except one skirt and trouser suit. I do have quite a lot of tops though.

sazz1 Sun 17-Mar-19 10:11:53

We are decluttering here pending downsizing in a few months. I am sorting into 3 piles, those I'm keeping, vgc I sell on Facebook or eBay and others go to charity shops. Doing Ok as made some money, helped charity, and now can see easily what I have. Try it.

Grandson2008 Sun 17-Mar-19 10:12:07

Well I understand with me its tops o fill 3 wardrobes plus a set of drawe rs every year I say no more. But I have now said to myself this is ridiculous so I'm going through my stuff charity shops know me very well and I have been out with friends and I haven't bought anything. I am actually saving now so I can treat my lovely hubby to a holiday. I always treat my wonderful family and I love treating my grandson but I have def got to stop . I look at them all and think I'll never wear all these. But you can do it with me its like ive finally realised how stupid I've been. Fun oh yes but hey here's hoping a new me is coming out so dont worry im sure there's lots of us out there x

newnanny Sun 17-Mar-19 10:13:36

My vice is Royal Albert bone china and i like to buy houses and decorate. Which i do recoup money on by letting and i think making a comfortable home for family.