Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

'Bigs' or 'smalls'?

(108 Posts)
mamaa Sun 05-May-19 11:03:07

For years, I have worn high leg briefs from M and S. Just recently they have started to annoy me so I decided to try full briefs. I wish I'd done it years ago- they are sooo comfy. Not exactly sexy to look at but frankly who cares? Not me!
Has anyone else done similar? Just wondering.
I remember when my MIL was about my age( early 60's) and she stayed with us as we lived away (hence why I did her washing) and she laughed about her 'bigs' next to my 'smalls'- how the years roll round and now its me with the 'bigs' and my DIL with the (skimpy) 'smalls'!

glammanana Sun 05-May-19 11:15:31

mamaa A girl has got to be comfy hasn't she,I wear a full brief during the day and when I am not going out anywhere special then I like to feel "girly" with high legged lacy pairs with matching bra.
My mum was a firm believer in comfort and always bought Ethel Austin double gusset full briefs she would never wear any other brand they where like wind socks when they where drying on the line.

Scribbles Sun 05-May-19 11:33:10

I've been a full brief woman for years, mamaa. Comfort before style every time! However, I have abandoned M&S in favour of Sloggi whose garments generally have a neater finish with side seams that don't rub the skin when worn under close fitting trousers.

EllanVannin Sun 05-May-19 11:44:43

Although not a large person, I do like the full briefs for overall comfort. I call them my " Harvest Festival " knickers---------all is safely gathered in !

SalsaQueen Sun 05-May-19 11:53:10

I like to be comfortable. I've been married for 39 years, so Him Indoors is used to seeing me in "big" knickers...(I did all the stockings, suspenders, frilly sets, every day, up until my late 40s.)

I love Sloggi knickers, as they don't lose their shape, no matter how many times they're washed. They don't ride up, either.

Shirleyw Sun 05-May-19 11:53:45

Full these days....

glammanana ...'wind socks when they where drying on the line' ....that did make me chuckle

whywhywhy Sun 05-May-19 12:07:11

I wear the high legs pants now but you are right they are starting to get a bit uncomfortable. So are your big pants from M&S? I need to review the situation as I like comfort way too much now that I am in my 60's.

EllanVannin Sun 05-May-19 12:14:32

Glam, dad and I often said one day a plane would land in the garden guided by mum's bloomers blowing in the breeze.

sodapop Sun 05-May-19 12:24:59

I go for the 'midi' style of knickers, almost big pants but not quite. My daughter said that wearing a thong was like flossing your bottom.
Like Glammananna I have the fancy sets for special occasions.

mamaa Sun 05-May-19 13:15:08

Yes why big pants are from M and S multi pack of 5 for £7, (bought online as they've just shut our local M and S) so I got a pack of white and a pack of black!

gillybob Sun 05-May-19 13:34:32

I’m like sodapop kinda big but not huge iyswim. I once took my elder DGD’s swimming and while I was getting changed they started whispering and giggling between them . I asked what was so funny and the pointed to my knickers “ grandma why have you started to wear hooj old lady knickers?” grin

GillT57 Sun 05-May-19 13:39:03

Sloggi here, bit pricy but last for years, do not rub, do not show through trousers. I too had to laugh at my Sloggis blowing in the wind next to my daughter's wispy pieces of lace

Cherrytree59 Sun 05-May-19 14:00:50

Day to day, I wear M&S black 'shorts' brief
Comfortable and no vpl

shysal Sun 05-May-19 14:15:37

I am another fan of M&S full briefs, the NoVPL variety which have a nice silky feel making jeans easier to pull up over them. I also buy a size or two larger than my dress size for extra comfort. For this reason I don't hang mine on the line in view of the neighbours! Most are in black plus a few skin coloured ones for wearing under pale colours.

BBbevan Sun 05-May-19 16:15:29

Never worn big knickers. Bikini pants for me

M0nica Sun 05-May-19 16:24:37

Accidentally bought a thong once - only wore it once as well, and never again, but apart from that once pants are on I really do not notice them, I have no idea no idea how far the leg comes up on each pair. All I know is that the main part come up about halfway between crotch and waist - probably best described as bikini level.

I do however know I will never wear waist height pants. I am quite short between crotch and waist and waist height pants, like so many fit-to-waist trousers end up being a comfortable fit under the armpits.

GabriellaG54 Sun 05-May-19 16:38:07

An acquaintance who lived opposite me years ago, had a lover. She was a large woman, very large and, at one time showed me a pair of shocking pink furry handcuffs and matching thong ?
I was telling a male friend about her buying habits and he remarked that her wearing a thong would be like cheesewire cutting blancmange ???

GillT57 Sun 05-May-19 16:47:26

Oh GabriellaG I won't be able to get that vision out of my mind ! ??

Fennel Sun 05-May-19 18:16:35

Nor me grin
I have about 15 pairs of these:
www.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-partners-5-pack-pima-cotton-full-briefs/white/p359791
I see they're a bit more expensive than the others, didn't know that.

rascal Sun 05-May-19 18:33:16

I'm a Sloggi girl, high leg. blush

Witzend Sun 05-May-19 18:37:54

Re thongs and other uncomfortable mini-knickers, a dd was once delighted to,learn from her German exchange opposite number, the German for 'My pants are up my crack.'

German girl had been wondering why dd was wriggling so uncomfortably - dd did her best to explain, and light dawned.
'Ah! Meine Unterhose klampft im Arsch!'
(There should be an umlaut on 'klampft' but I couldn't be arsched to try to find how to add one on the iPad.)

Gonegirl Sun 05-May-19 18:42:04

Most of the time I wear M and S bikini pants, which I know look ridiculous, but I can't see them once they're on. In extremely cold weather I get out my big knickers.

Gonegirl Sun 05-May-19 18:43:19

Why am I telling the world that? confused

crystaltipps Sun 05-May-19 18:55:00

This thread reminds me of a time when I saw a young man wearing white ( see through) jogging bottoms with a black thong underneath. Talk about an eyeful! He did get plenty of female attention though. Again another image I would like to forget.

MiniMoon Sun 05-May-19 19:06:07

I wear the "shorts" type knickers. Last ones I bought were from M&S, but the previous set came from Tesco.
I'm not particular where the come from as long as they are comfortable.