Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Help! My hair has the texture of Candy Floss!

(57 Posts)
Nannyliz Sat 28-Sep-19 14:45:20

As I've got older my hair has become very dry as opposed to being quite greasy in my younger days. It is quite fine but lots of it. Can anyone recommend a serum or any thing that would give it a smoother look? Hairspray doesn't help much either. I use a coconut oil shampoo and rich conditioner but neither seem to help.

lemongrove Sat 28-Sep-19 14:46:26

Have you tried the Aussie range of haircare?

paddyann Sat 28-Sep-19 14:51:04

I use Philip Kingsley Elasticiser ,put onto damp hair and leave for half an hour or as long as you have
.My friend keeps it on overnight and her very overprocessed hair has gone from frizz to really silky .Buy it from QVC on a 30 day trial and if it doesn't work for you ,just send it back,Even if you've used quite a lot of it as its fine to return whats left .

J52 Sat 28-Sep-19 14:55:00

Argan oil is sold by a variety of hair product manufacturers and they all have a smoothing affect. Try a few different ones and find out which suits you best. Superdrug and Savers are the best places to buy.

Alexa Sat 28-Sep-19 15:32:39

My hair is like candyfloss too. Argan oil smoothed through it while wet after I wash it suits my hair best.

cornergran Sat 28-Sep-19 15:55:19

I'm another using Elasticiser, my hair seems not to cope with a final conditioner or Argan Oil products but this works incredibly well.

Cherrytree59 Sat 28-Sep-19 16:34:34

Argon oil.
Argon oil shampoo
Argon oil conditioner
( although would say be careful not to over condition)

NotSpaghetti Sat 28-Sep-19 17:08:14

L'Oreal Elvive "Extraordinary Oil" cream.
It's a leave-in product for use on wet or dry hair.
Might be worth a go - also easy to find.

MawB Sat 28-Sep-19 17:19:26

Argan oil or Moroccan oil.
A good cut and lay off any sort of colouring .

Nannyliz Sat 28-Sep-19 21:08:21

Thanks ladies for all your help. I do use the Aussie Coconut oil shampoo. I will try the Argon oil. NotSpaghetti, I have the L'Oreal Elvive "Extraordinary Oil" cream but don't use it it every day. I will try all your suggestions and report back on the outcome! smile

Treebee Sat 28-Sep-19 21:40:33

Aussie Three Minute Miracle conditioner is good. After rinsing off my shampoo I apply it, then wrap my hair in a towel while I make the bed. That takes long enough for it to make a difference. You could leave it on longer if you like.

SirChenjin Sat 28-Sep-19 23:10:29

TIGI Bed Head After Party Smoothing Cream is brilliant - my hairdresser introduced me to it and I wouldn’t be without it now. You just need a tiny bit so it lasts for ages.

Samaromo Sun 29-Sep-19 09:32:28

I tried argan oil but found my hair got greasy very quickly after use.

Rosina Sun 29-Sep-19 09:42:53

Sympathies, Nannyliz. I have a mop of fine, formerly quite greasy hair too. It's always been so difficult to manage, with a will of its own, but of late has become dry, and quite frighteningly started to thin a bit last year. My hairdresser recommended Moroccan Hair Oil, one tiny spot applied after washing. It is absolutely amazing, and not greasy. It's important to buy the genuine article as it is a fine oil, and cheaper versions are in heavier carrier oils which evidently don't do the job and leave you looking like an oil slick. It's in a dark brown bottle with a green label, and is about £35.00. Mine has lasted over eighteen months, even with OH having a couple of treatments a week, and a visiting friend who helps herself!

TrendyNannie6 Sun 29-Sep-19 09:45:05

I have the same problem I found ultimate blends was the best shampoo I’ve tried loads, Aragon oil makes my hair greasy

Dillyduck Sun 29-Sep-19 10:05:20

My hair is permed and coloured. When it feels extra dry, I have a conditioning treatment at the hairdressers. I too am a fan of the Aussie shampoo range, just bought 2 bottles of hair their hair oil in Costco for £9. How do you dry your hair. Mine goes frizzy if I let it dry naturally, so I let it get about half dry (it's fairly short but very thick) and then finish it off with a hot brush. I've recently bought a BaByliss hot brush that rotates by itself, it's magic. My hair is bouncy and shiny in next to no time.

Kerenhappuch Sun 29-Sep-19 10:08:48

My hair became very dry and flyaway after several illnesses. I started getting it cut and coloured regularly and using salon shampoo, conditioner and leave-in products. I found these lasted for ages compared with shop-bought, so the cost overall isn't excessive. I found a lot of oil-based conditioners just made it very lank and greasy looking.

I don't know why dyeing makes my hair behave better, but it does.

geekesse Sun 29-Sep-19 10:24:45

I’ve taken to conditioner-only washing. Do a final wash with ordinary shampoo to remove traces of silicone and then use a silicone free conditioner (I use Garner Blends Coconut Water and Aloe Vera). From then onwards wash with conditioner instead of shampoo. Dry by ‘plopping’ - wrapping your hair for a few minutes in a microfibre cloth (I use an old T-shirt). Facebook have a group called ‘Curly Girls’ where there’s lots of advice on co-washing. It has hugely improved the texture and look of my ageing hair.

mernice Sun 29-Sep-19 10:25:47

Revlon Uniq one. Very good leave in conditioner. Use only a small amount on my hair but you can use more if needed. Available at Amazon. I use the conditioner not all in one shampoo and conditioner as that’s too much for my fine hair but yours might love it. Good luck, hair can be such a pain sometimes.

Daisymae Sun 29-Sep-19 10:27:43

My hairdresser sells cure by Chiara. It's a leave in product that's excellent. You can buy it on the web, around the £20 mark but you don't need much so lasts ages.

Nanabilly Sun 29-Sep-19 10:47:29

a few things to try here...Firstly the thing to look at is how you dry your hair . The best way is to just squeeze excess water out and to never rub with a towel. Then to blow dry using using heat protection products . I agree that salon products are much better than store bought ones and it does work out around the same cost wide because you have to use a lot less of it each time. I have a bottle of matrix heat protector that I spray on before blow dry or straighteners and it's still going a year later and I have fairly long hair. Use a good brush to blow dry not plastic bristles as it causes static hence frizziness.
The afro Caribbean community use coconut oil on their hair and then wrap it in a warm towel to stop dryness and frizzy hair ( my niece has 2 children with afro hair) so try that before you buy expensive products . Around £3 for huge tubs of it and you will find it with olive oil in stores.
Does your hair go frizzy from sleeping on a pillow. Try sleeping in a silk cap it stops this.

aonk Sun 29-Sep-19 11:52:57

Hi. I’ve been trying to cope with this problem for years. Like in a previous post I let it part dry (usually while eating breakfast) and then use a Babyliss rotating hot brush. There’s been a big improvement in mine lately as I’m using a new John Frieda range called Weightless Wonder. There’s a shampoo, conditioner and serum. It’s really made a difference!

Willow10 Sun 29-Sep-19 11:56:45

Another fan of conditioner-only washing. It's the shampoo that strips all the oils and leaves fly away cotton wool hair. I was sceptical at first but it really works.

Joyfulnanna Sun 29-Sep-19 12:00:57

It's a pain isn't it! Get your hairdresser to have a look. You might be surprised to find a build up of plasticisers on your hair from all the products we use these days. The hairdresser can scrape it off safely. It looks like white powder. This scum dulls your hair and makes it dry and frizzy. Invest in a good sulphate and parabon free shampoo, not the commercial brands in supermarkets, these are the worst. Use a moisturising shampoo and leave in conditioner, only use a tiny amount. Give your hair time to "breathe" so to speak. Treat it gently and don't overload with products and don't use straighteners. Hope that helps.

shysal Sun 29-Sep-19 13:52:17

The only product which tames my greying brown, wavy hair is Mixed Chicks leave-in conditioner. It is not cheap but a little goes a long way, I only use a 1.5 cm blob spread between my palms, smeared on, then combed through. I use a standard bar shampoo, but they do a bottled shampoo and ordinary conditioner too.
www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=mixed+chicks+leave+in+conditioner&_sacat=0&_sop=15