Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Matching sets of lingerie

(119 Posts)
CanadianGran Thu 24-Oct-19 04:40:55

I follow a fashion blog authored by a middle aged woman, and the topic came up regarding a new line of bras that she had heard were comfortable, but she hadn't tried them because they did not offer matching panties. She only wore matching sets.

Not being of the matching set crowd, this made me curious.

What ratio of bras to panties would one purchase? I don't wash my bra with every wear, so one would either need many sets to make it through the week, or purchase 1 bra to every 5 panties. Is this what is done?

What if you are wearing light trousers and a dark top? Do you break rank?

What about cost? I know I pay quite a bit for a nice bra, but the matching panties tend to be extraordinarily expensive.

I have a few favourite bras, and do my best to colour match with my fav cotton undies. You may, however, find me unmatched if I end up hit by a bus and end up in the hospital.

Thoughts?

BlueBelle Thu 24-Oct-19 05:18:24

Life’s too busy for matching undies I just sling on what is next in the clean drawer my bum and boobs have never complained

Scentia Thu 24-Oct-19 07:06:09

I bought my first set of matching white underwear last year. Wore them once washed the pants now the lovely white underwear is a mismatching grey pants and white bra. It cost a fortune as well.?

Nannarose Thu 24-Oct-19 07:39:30

I buy some matching sets, but I also make my own knickers, and choose 'complementary' colours. For instance, a white bra with blue knickers trimmed with white lace. I got a lovely black and white print remnant, and have 2 pairs that can go with black or white. I also have some made in remnants of taupe charmeuse and brown lace and they go with beige or brown bras.
But I am very fussy - my white underwear gets washed on its own - if need be rinsed through in the shower!
We all have our little quirks!

annsixty Thu 24-Oct-19 07:39:47

I was once given matching pants ,half slip and bra ,as a gift after doing someone a favour.
It was the only set I ever had.
Money was too short in the early days and after that it didn't seem to matter.
My H never noticed what I wore anyway.

MawB Thu 24-Oct-19 07:51:51

I do wish I could think of my undercrackers as “lingerie”. The only rule I observe is that I wear light under light if there is any danger of anything showing through or if wearing a wide necked summer top I wear a matching bra in case of a glimpse of bra strap.

DanniRae Thu 24-Oct-19 07:55:59

I am very interested in comfortable bras and don't give a fig for them matching my knickers - please not p**ties - I really dislike that word.
Scentia - one wash and knickers were grey? Wow!
Nannarose - You make your own knickers? I have never heard of 'home made' knickers before. Please tell us more confused

Mamissimo Thu 24-Oct-19 08:08:03

Danni - we were taught how to make our own knickers at school as part of basic sewing classes.......in the 1970’s ? We learned French seams and how to apply elastic. My DM thought I’d probably never wear them and gave me a remnant of bright yellow crinkle cotton to make mine from - and I never did wear them! ?

aggie Thu 24-Oct-19 08:12:33

My youngeast makes hers , says they are most comfortable

Sarahmob Thu 24-Oct-19 08:13:24

The only matching set I’ve ever owned I wore for my wedding. When I was younger I couldn’t afford matching sets and now I can’t be bothered ?

Auntieflo Thu 24-Oct-19 08:30:45

I don't usually bother with matching undies.
All my pants are white, as are most of my bras, but I do have a few different colours, just in case.
At the moment I am not wearing any bra, because of my sore cracked ribs shock

Septimia Thu 24-Oct-19 08:46:01

I buy skintone bras so they don't show under light coloured tops. Knickers are whatever combination of colours come in the multipack.

I don't think I've ever bought matching sets. I buy for comfort, not for anyone else to see!! As long as they're clean in case of an accident......

crystaltipps Thu 24-Oct-19 08:51:10

I have been taught lingerie making as part of a couture course, making pants is quite straightforward and you can get all sorts of fancy lingerie elastic and small piece of silk etc can make a pretty pair of pants. We did make bras which was more of a challenge and hugely time consuming - I think there were something like 30 different pattern pieces in a silk lined bra plus all the bits n pieces of hardware- I always cut those off old bras and keep them in my haberdashery, but haven’t made a bra since my class. I have made matching pants and camisoles which is quite straightforward. I have made corsets as well but not for myself.

MawB Thu 24-Oct-19 08:55:46

Wow crystaltipps -have you ever been on The Great British Sewing Bee? I am impressed.
PS I agree about “panties” Dannirae , there’s always a sort of lascivious undertone to the word for me.

crystaltipps Thu 24-Oct-19 08:56:13

Home made lingerie

GrannyGravy13 Thu 24-Oct-19 08:56:52

I could not leave the house if my "lingerie" did not match.

As for bra to pant ratio......I buy one bra with three pairs of matching pants.

BlueSapphire Thu 24-Oct-19 09:02:55

I have quite a few matching sets, and try to, like MawB, wear light under light, etc. I find the skintone ones the most useful. But as I now need, let us say, 'more comfortable' (big!) knickers I am slowly replacing all the little lacy ones with matching colour full briefs to go with my bras. Sainsbury's do multipacks in a variety of colours; I have just bought a pack of 5 black.

Calendargirl Thu 24-Oct-19 09:04:35

Wear white pants always, and white bras, but they don’t match.
Unless the dreaded accident that our mums always warned us about, does it matter?
(By accidents, I mean being rushed into hospital. Have always felt if things were so serious, would you care if your underwear matched?)
☹️

Teetime Thu 24-Oct-19 09:11:23

I take my hat off to anyone making their own lingerie!

I wear all matching and have about 30 sets as I have a clean pair at least every day. I usually buy M & S but some nice things on Fig Leaves too. I have a pile of plain white and plain black cotton knickers too. I try to match what I am wearing underneath to what I am wearing on top but it doesn't always work out. My mother and MIL only ever wore white they thought coloured underwear decadent and possibly un hygienic!!

Coolgran65 Thu 24-Oct-19 09:31:23

I have black, white and skin tone (otherwise known as yuk). I do break rank all the time for wearing dark and light together. Comfort is the main goal.

JackyB Thu 24-Oct-19 09:43:59

I have everything (bras and pants) in skin colour (why am I called a "white" woman when my skin colour is really beige) and definitely no scratchy lace. And no matching sets for the reasons given above.

- too expensive,
- you'd need more pants than bras

and

-the bottoms and tops from a set probably wouldn't both fit well anyway

MawB Thu 24-Oct-19 09:44:47

I had a German aunt who was glamorous (to me) in a sort of Marlene Dietrich way, who always only wore black underwear which she once said to me was slimming! I suspect I was too young for her to say “sexy”
I do remember staying with her one very hot summer when I was perhaps 7, and she and mum walked around her flat in their petticoats- Mum’s was white, Tante Erna’s was black.
Of course.

NotSpaghetti Thu 24-Oct-19 09:57:46

Because my bras are super-expensive I don't buy the knickers to match.
Also, I do like cotton knickers and the pretty ones matching my bras are always synthetic. I like Prima Donna bras, the briefs for the last bra I bought were £65. I think I can do without!

dragonfly46 Thu 24-Oct-19 10:25:34

Wow I am impressed by matching underwear. I grab what I can. Since my mastectomy though I have found the prettiest and most comfortable bras are the cheapest from Asda. Their PJ's are very good too.

Paperbackwriter Thu 24-Oct-19 10:30:33

Most of my underwear is black so it matches by default. I do also like to wear a slip as I think it gives a better 'line' to dresses (I'm absolutely not a trouser woman - bum too close to the floor). Wandering around in a slip makes me feel quite Saturday Night and Sunday Morning-ish.