Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Christmas party dress recommendations

(86 Posts)
LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 25-Oct-19 15:17:46

Yes, we mentioned the C word. But only because we're updating our page of Christmas party dresses and wondered if you could help us? Could you post a link to any particular dresses you have your eye on? Are there particular styles, colours or fabrics you look for? Or stay away from? Any brands that you know will always deliver a winner? Because of the length/quality/price tag/fit? Thanks smile

paintingthetownred Fri 25-Oct-19 15:20:17

How about a black jumpsuit. This would be my 'dress' of choice for a special occasion.

The Asquith one is brilliant. Bamboo, ultra comfortable, with heels and jewellery very comfy and stylish. After Christmas you won't want to take it off and can be worn around the house, or even as pyjamas.

painting

paintingthetownred Fri 25-Oct-19 15:21:38

www.asquithlondon.com/rhythm-jumpsuit-black/

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Fri 25-Oct-19 16:49:47

Very stylish, thanks paintingthetownred

petitpois Fri 25-Oct-19 16:57:17

Boden is usually my go-to for good dresses. I'm quite tall so they do decent lengths and if there is ever a quibble with the quality they do a year's returns (or they did the one time I had an issue). I must admit I try stay away from black near my face because I think it ages me. So I'll either go for black trousers and a skirt with a sparkly blouse. When it comes to Christmas though I tend to look for a festive red! This Boden dress looks quite lovely. Now all I need is an invite to somewhere worth wearing it to!

GrammaH Sat 26-Oct-19 09:19:10

www.bombshellhq.com/
I absolutely love Bombshell! Their dresses look beautiful and are superbly well made and fit beautifully . There are designs for all occasions and most definitely a great range of options for Christmas parties. My favourite style is the Grace, which comes in a range of plain colours as well as pretty printed designs. There are some jolly tartan options which are very Christmassy. Not cheap but you certainly get what you pay for.

NannyC1 Sat 26-Oct-19 09:48:04

Who do you work for. Maybe we could buy from you. X. Personally I'm an ASOS browser.

polnan Sat 26-Oct-19 09:51:05

gosh , good to see that some people have money! not jealous, just saying...

HootyMcOwlface Sat 26-Oct-19 09:56:15

Flipping heck, I can’t afford paying those prices for a dress! Back to Bonmarche for me - if they’re still going! ?

rizlett Sat 26-Oct-19 09:57:39

I recently bought this one - it's so flattering for a curvy figure & an amazing price.

www.lindybop.co.uk/carole-navy-heart-tea-dress.html

kittylester Sat 26-Oct-19 10:14:11

I'd be more interested in party type separates than dresses. Especially tops.

Davida1968 Sat 26-Oct-19 10:18:29

If you want beautifully made and understated dresses, then Seasalt may be worth a look. Lovely tops too, and and all "ethically"made and traded. (And no, I have no connection with the company!)
www.seasaltcornwall.co.uk/

Poppyred Sat 26-Oct-19 10:27:45

Have Seasalt started selling Party Dresses?? Can’t see any on their website.

Sewell61 Sat 26-Oct-19 10:36:55

I've just ordered mine from Bonmarche, it's a black shift dress, it's got sparkles on the neckline & sleeves....And it's only £20 Boom

Jillybird Sat 26-Oct-19 10:39:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

paintingthetownred Sat 26-Oct-19 10:42:03

see what you mean about black looking ageing possibly pp. I like the Boden dress. With black jumpsuit how about the right colour scarf to lighten the whole thing.

I don't work for them btw. Just honestly once I started wearing bamboo I never wanted to wear anything else as so comfy and versatile. Yes, jumpsuit expensive, but such companies often do a sale - I think there are others for 30 quid ish. Plus I look out for coupons and vouchers.

petra Sat 26-Oct-19 10:43:50

David
They are asking for recommendations for Party Dresses
Not, " What are your grandchildrens teachers wearing"

janeainsworth Sat 26-Oct-19 10:46:57

GrammaH
I’m a Bombshell fan too. Yes they’re expensive but it’s cost per wear that’s important.
I don’t waste money on things I don’t really like and will only get worn once or twice before they get thrown out.

Nortsat46 Sat 26-Oct-19 10:52:28

I am with kittylester on this. I would prefer separates, with a sparkly/party jacket.
These offer more opportunity to coordinate with other items and therefore to wear more often.

seacliff Sat 26-Oct-19 10:54:52

Polnan and Hooty …… yes me too, sadly. If I looked good in the black jumpsuit. I can see it is a comfortable but stylish versatile item, you can dress it up or down, belts, necklace etc, so good value for the wears you'd get from it. I have only ever tried bamboo socks and they were lovely and cool and comfortable.

Apart from my bulges, there is always the "getting to the loo quickly" problem with jumpsuits! Some of those bombshell dresses would be lovely for a wedding.

For those on a budget, but with good legs, this is nice, and hides the arms direct.asda.com/george/women/dresses/black-layered-flock-diamond-dress/GEM729447,default,pd.html?
cgid=D1M1G20C1

I am more likely to buy a Christmas top for casual wear, and not too warm. www.bonmarche.co.uk/all-partywear/soft-touch-sparkle-neck-top-061971.html?cgid=christmas-partywear-all-partywear&dwvar_061971_color=69

GreenGran78 Sat 26-Oct-19 11:24:41

Roman Originals have a sale on, right now, and also discounts on party clothes.

Teetime Sat 26-Oct-19 11:49:31

M & S have some nice wide leg velvet trousers which look great with a sparkly jumper- some nice ones in Monsoon.

Margs Sat 26-Oct-19 11:52:42

Oh, the usual. Pink ballet tutu, miles of sparkly net, loads of sequins, diamante tiara, silver ballet pumps and - of course - the obligatory wand.

lizzypopbottle Sat 26-Oct-19 12:05:45

Nobody seems to share my antipathy towards jumpsuits but you have to get down to bra and pants to use the toilet! Cold weather and the suspicious state of public bathroom floors put me right off, though I do agree they look good. With two grandchildren and four dogs on Christmas day, I'll be sticking to casual festive clothes this year.

PS I haven't read all the posts so apologies if anyone does share my jumpsuit reservations and has said so.

Davida1968 Sat 26-Oct-19 12:20:56

Petra, I think that's a rather un-called for and unkind comment. I did say "understated" and I've seen women weating certain Seasalt dresses, looking fabulous, with the right jewellery, etc. Sometimes less is more!