Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Uniform or wear soemthing different everyday?

(59 Posts)
annab275 Sat 23-Nov-19 12:16:43

I have been reading about the idea of taking away the decision about what to wear and just wearing the same thing everyday (like Steve Jobs etc). I cannot decide what I would like to wear everyday, and have come to the conclusion that it's more fun to wear a new outfit everyday, mixing up what I already have and wearing what hasn't seen the light of day for a while. I have been getting into a rut of just wearing jeans and a jumper. What works for you?

rosenoir Sun 24-Nov-19 17:08:17

Lavalava is a rectangular cloth worn as a skirt, mainly by Polynesians, according to google.

omega1 Sun 24-Nov-19 18:31:19

I wear a different outfit everyday, so that all my clothes get worn and I would be bored wearing the same thing all the time. The colourful the better together with jewellery, make up, perfume, hair done, nails done All makes me feel better.

Nanna58 Sun 24-Nov-19 18:49:39

My ‘uniform’ during the week , looking after DGS and running him back and forth to nursery is like a time warp, jeans and a sweatshirt, exactly that same as I wore to look after his mother! In between her and him I had to wear smart for work, so this full circle is a nice change!?

jocork Mon 25-Nov-19 06:05:41

I work in a school and we have a dress code. I am due to retire next year and one of the things I look forward to most is being able to wear whatever I like every day. We are not allowed jeans or leggings, sandals, sleeveless tops or anything low-cut. They only brought in the 'no sandal' rule last summer and I had to buy a new pair of summer shoes that could be worn with bare feet as all my other closed fronted shoes are too tight in hot weather as my feet swell. I wasn't best pleased as I've worn sandals in summer for 6 years in the job and then they choose to change things in my last working year!

TwiceAsNice Mon 25-Nov-19 06:19:01

I wear a smart dress and cardigan or skirt and top to work 2 days a week otherwise it’s skinny jeans/cords and top or T shirt and cardigan on please my self days, usually with a scarf in winter

M0nica Mon 25-Nov-19 10:26:04

omega1 I so agree.

FC61 Mon 25-Nov-19 11:35:17

I used to stress so much about clothes but no more ! Now I travel a lot with a 10 kg suitcase so for summer, usually white & beige trousers and 6/7 sleeveless tops, two light jackets , lots of scarves, two pairs summer sandals . Winter is thermal underwear, black trousers , same tops, cardigan, v neck long jumper , few posh scarves, two jackets, one pair of shoes , two pairs boots. I can pack in 10 minutes. i do have a few clothes / shoes parked in different homes though. Lately I am beginning to think of settling down in one place lol. Maybe when I’m 70. Or God willing 80.

jaylucy Mon 25-Nov-19 11:43:19

Having been in both camps, so to speak, I'd opt for the uniform!
Only drawback really is that it may not necessarily be to your taste and is usually made out of polyester! In fact with one lot of uniform, the blouses, though a quite nice colour of lilac, were quite see through so you either had to choose your bra carefully or, like I did, wear a t shirt vest underneath! In fact, in the summer it was more comfortable to do that because we had no air con!
Subsequent uniforms - there was a choice of tops and they were made out of a nice stretchy jersey (thanks Jeff Banks!) .
Added to the lack of hassle of not having to choose each day, you can claim tax back for laundering your uniform!