Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Christmas Jumpers Yay or Nay

(96 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Thu 12-Dec-19 19:45:48

Do you and your family wear Christmas jumpers. Or do you think they look tacky

HurdyGurdy Fri 13-Dec-19 16:16:13

I think Christmas is the perfect time for sparkle, bling and bad taste.

I love (other people's) amazing tacky Christmas "stuff". I love over-decorated houses - especially when the owners are using them to raise money for charities (but I'd not go all out myself)

I love tacky blingy Christmas jumpers - as someone else said, they are supposed to be ironically tacky. Mine is tasteful tchwink due to my horror of being "noticed".

And I have some gorgeously tacky Christmas earrings made from, I think, FIMO, and bought at a craft fair, with naked Santas covering their embarrassment with their hats.

NanaandGrampy Fri 13-Dec-19 17:11:04

Yup! I have a selection I wear them through out December for going out shopping or whatever .

I think they’re fun and festive and I am far to old to give a stuff about whether you or anyone else thinks they’re tacky or tasteless ??

I’ve had some of them a few years as obviously they don’t get worn a huge amount. For Christmas Day I have one with a snowman on and when I get too warm after dinner I shall swap it for a t shirt covered in cheery robins.

Each to their own I say .

NanaandGrampy Fri 13-Dec-19 17:11:53

You’re my kind of jumper wearer Hurdygurdy! ?

Chimaera Fri 13-Dec-19 18:04:49

I have 4 Christmas jumpers - all with beagles on! So not too tacky......I hope!

Como2020 Fri 13-Dec-19 19:39:18

I remember a Christmas cardigan my grandmother knitted for me when I was about 5. Reindeers prancing around the bottom with red noses, and red buttons. ‘‘Twas lovely!
tchsmile

PamelaJ1 Fri 13-Dec-19 19:47:51

Homefarm, I understand where you are coming from but mine is very old, from the days before I was so concerned about the environment.
As I already have it and it will last for years to come it’s probably better for the environment than buying a new outfit every year. It is made of wool and can go on the compost heap at the end of its life.

Nanny41 Fri 13-Dec-19 21:38:55

I would love to wear a Christmas jumper, but would look ridiculous, oh I know thats the point but I am little and would be swamped in one, I am always hot too, so it wouldnt work, I admire anyone who has a Christmas jumper,and has fun. I do also have a little Christmas tree brooch put on a blouse, so a little festive!

sazz1 Fri 13-Dec-19 23:59:07

Had to buy one last year for a Xmas meal with a ladies club I belonged to. Bought from a charity shop cheaply and will keep it incase I ever have to wear it again. Really not a fan of them.

Mardler123 Sat 14-Dec-19 09:03:53

I got a nice Christmas cardigan from Amazon Gonegirl. They still have some if you are interested. Happy and a jolly Christmas. Keep that sense of humour into 2020

Margs Sat 14-Dec-19 11:30:10

They only get worn for a few hours on the one day of the year - very colourful and a million miles away from those diamond patterned golfing sweaters. Thank God!

maryhoffman37 Sat 14-Dec-19 14:40:38

Nay! They almost all contain synthetic fibres which wash into the sea and are very bad for the environment. Will not biodegrade in landfill either so you can't even throw the b-----s away.

GeorgyGirl Sat 14-Dec-19 14:50:40

We all wear them, just for the fun element. Merry Christmas!

123kitty Sat 14-Dec-19 17:20:01

They look lovely (on other people).

MenoeaClothing Sun 15-Dec-19 14:42:04

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Nannymags27 Sun 15-Dec-19 15:46:46

Specifically went to the shops a few days ago to buy a festive tunic-style top to wear to a family function. No chance! The shops were FULL of jumpers (way too warm) and the only tunics (few & far-between) were 100% acrylic (likewise way too warm) and covered in sparkles (not good with small children around!). I actually had a minor moan to the EWM shop worker about women “of a certain age” needing natural fabrics & there being nothing available. Where is the manufacturer catering for us? But ain’t that the year-round conundrum...

SirChenjin Sun 15-Dec-19 15:52:51

The DCs have them but DH and I don’t. I must rectify that - I really like those Nordic style ones. I do have a sparkly Christmas top that I wear for Christmas lunch every year before it’s put back in the wardrobe for another year - does that count?!

Oldandverygrey Sun 15-Dec-19 15:56:53

The Manager at our local Tesco is a very large gentleman with a huge stomach, he wears a Christmas jumper which says "who ate all the pies".

Vonners Sun 15-Dec-19 16:37:50

I wouldn't buy one as seems such a waste even if kept for the next year it will eventually end up in landfill. The TV ad about Save The Children Christmas jumper day seemed a bit daft to me. Why buy a jumper and donate £2? Surely if everyone donated the money they would've used to buy a jumper then a whole lot more money would've been raised? I guess thats not how marketing works though!

Callistemon Sun 15-Dec-19 16:49:42

Schools have joined in this too.
They all seem to have a Christmas jumper day at the end of term.

Nortsat46 Sun 15-Dec-19 17:38:10

I have a pair of earrings shaped as Christmas Trees (decorated with coloured crystals) and a brooch to match, courtesy of the Butler & Wilson sale. Anyone familiar with B&W’s sparkly costume jewellery, will know what I mean.

I wear them with a red jacket and sparkly scarf ...