Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Ponytail at my age?

(72 Posts)
sarahcyn Sun 02-Feb-20 17:03:54

Being very broke at the moment and long overdue a visit to my usual very expensive hair stylist, I am wondering if it’s ever acceptable for someone in their sixties with very fine dark blonde hair to put it in a high ponytail?

Oopsadaisy3 Sun 02-Feb-20 17:08:05

Mine is, as we speak, although I have thick auburnish hair, if it looks too scruffy I wind it around into a high bun.

Septimia Sun 02-Feb-20 17:08:47

Why not? I'm in my 60s with long - grey - hair and wear it in various styles, sometimes in a low ponytail, sometimes up, sometimes down and clipped back, depending on how clean it is!

You should look tidy and elegant with your hair in a high ponytail. You could also plait the ponytail or wrap it around into a bun.

Go for it!

Oopsadaisy3 Sun 02-Feb-20 17:09:18

PS, I do have a fringe though and strands are loose, which softens it, I don’t and wouldn’t scrape it all back into a tight pony tail

Ellianne Sun 02-Feb-20 17:12:09

I twist my pony tail just above the nape of the neck, scoop it up and put a big clip across the fold. Quite acceptable.

merlotgran Sun 02-Feb-20 17:15:38

A friend of mine wears her hair in a 'messy bun' or ponytail. It suits her and makes her look younger than her 72 years. If I could be bothered to grow mine that long I'd have a go at the same style.

Esspee Sun 02-Feb-20 17:44:41

Do you need a very expensive hairdresser?
I use my local one and he is wonderful.

Oopsminty Sun 02-Feb-20 17:45:38

Absolutely

aprilrose Sun 02-Feb-20 17:50:13

I never wear my hair any other way than a pony tail for work. Whats wrong with a pony tail? I have fine blonde hair ( light blonde as it happens). I never go to the hairdressers. I cut the split ends myself. I see no point in expensive hairdressers.

curvygran950 Sun 02-Feb-20 18:01:03

sarahcyn ,Wear your hair exactly as you like! Take no notice of what is ‘acceptable’- we go through life caring too much about what other people think.Time to break free !

whywhywhy Sun 02-Feb-20 18:03:28

It’s your hair so do as you want with it! I always wear mine in a pony tail if I cannot get to the hairdressers. What does it matter? Just be yourself. X

paddyanne Sun 02-Feb-20 18:04:34

I have fine hair and rather than scape it back I use heated rollers in it,makes it look much thicker .A ponytail doesn't suit me it makes me look bald,My hair is about 5 inches past my shoulders .

kircubbin2000 Sun 02-Feb-20 18:21:58

I think you know the answer. You should be able to get a trim for under £12 if you look around. Wash it at home later.

BBbevan Sun 02-Feb-20 18:26:09

My DH always says, when our hairdresser asks him what he wants’ At ponytail please’. As he is very short of hair, that would be a miracle.

Mommawolf Sun 02-Feb-20 18:44:36

Ware your hair the way you like it. I am 74 and have waist length white hair. I have a pony tail for everyday work, if going out sides combed into a half ponytail rest left loose. No hairdresser I put it into a braid then chop off the end to trim. Wash in the shower and just leave to dry naturally. If you are happy with a ponytail go for it! .

WOODMOUSE49 Sun 02-Feb-20 18:50:35

Constantly in a ponytail to aid work.

Cheapest dry cut for me is £27. No - cheapest is when my daughter visits. She can cut my layers in, which I do like.

I'm 70. Grey, shoulder length.

lemongrove Sun 02-Feb-20 19:12:55

Do a low ponytail rather than a high one? Not a tight ponytail
( a Croyden face lift) or even better try a messy up do?

Tangerine Sun 02-Feb-20 19:20:47

Why not? It's up to you so why not try it for a day or two?

Perhaps go to a cheaper hairdresser if your current one is too expensive.

M0nica Sun 02-Feb-20 19:23:34

Why not? age has nothing to do with it. The only question to ask is: Does it suit you? If it makes you look like horse forget it, if it looks elegant on you and enhances your features, go with it.

lucywinter Sun 02-Feb-20 21:43:56

I think a high ponytail would look awful on a grey haired older woman. Get it cut at a cheaper place.

lucywinter Sun 02-Feb-20 21:45:48

Sorry! OP's hair is dark blonde,not grey.

Still get it cut.

sarahcyn Mon 03-Feb-20 11:20:47

Hmm thanks all...Still not sure what to do, The very expensive stylist is a friend by now after doing me for over 20 years, and I suspect he always gives me mates rates but still more than I can really afford...oh how I would love “waist length white hair” like yours, @Mommawolf! My hair would break off long before it got to my waist!

lucywinter Mon 03-Feb-20 11:30:53

I pay 15 quid for a dry trim, pensioners' rates, and it's fine. (Could do with going pretty soon tbh)

silverlining48 Mon 03-Feb-20 13:36:38

Nothing wrong with a pony tail, kept loose- ish, but why not find a hairdresser who visits you at home , there seem to be plenty around, and would be the cheapest option. I pay £15 for a cut and about £50 for the works including colour and blow dry. Have no idea what salons charge these days.

merlotgran Mon 03-Feb-20 14:24:45

My dry trim costs £18. I dash straight home and wash and blow dry it because it looks awful until 'fluffed up' a bit.

Much cheaper than having a cut and blow dry though.