Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

are we all gonna be neanderthal women and men

(126 Posts)
travelsafar Tue 24-Mar-20 14:52:16

After twelve weeks of no haircuts, beauty treatment, nails, eyelashes and eyebrow treatments what are we all going to look like. Men wont be able to get to the barbers for hair and beard trims either!!!!

Nanna58 Tue 24-Mar-20 14:57:49

The young will look fine, but I’m firmly in the ‘ patch, patch patch’ bracket of Norah Ephron’s great book, so will look a bl**dy fright. But....I shall be able to see my DGS who always says I look beautiful- and I shan’t care a jot!??

GagaJo Tue 24-Mar-20 14:59:49

I'll need flame thrower on my chin. And my teeth wired together to lose weight.

Feelingmyage55 Tue 24-Mar-20 15:02:43

Annie The musical ‘You are never fully dressed without a smile’. Trimming my own hair, clean clothes daily. Have never had any treatments.

Curlywhirly Tue 24-Mar-20 15:06:16

I know, I'm going to look like a badger with my grey roots showing. Luckily, I have root touch up powder, so will be using that, and will trim my own fringe. Thankfully I have dark eyebrows and eyelashes, so nothing a bit of mascara won't sort out. Fortunately, I already cut husband's hair, so ok there. Both sons though, go to barbers every 4/5 weeks, so they'll look a pair of buggers!

SueDonim Tue 24-Mar-20 15:11:32

My hair will get rather out of control so I might resort to pigtails. My own tweezers will be doing overtime on my face, luckily my legs don’t grow hair.

Most of the hair and nail salons, barbers and tanning shops were open in town yesterday! Imagine booking a last minute emergency tanning session? grin

EllanVannin Tue 24-Mar-20 15:17:13

It's going to be a changed world that's for sure.

I'll still remain the same as I've always been. No " touching up " necessary, as long as I'm clean well presented and smiley.

MiniMoon Tue 24-Mar-20 15:23:55

I had my hair cut a couple of days before the mass closures. I'll be all right for about twelve weeks. After that, I shall be using hair grips and don't know what I'll look like!
I never wear make up as I'm allergic to most of it.
I pluck my chin (ouch), and have a little shaver for my upper lip.
Fortunately I can still manage my own toenails.

vampirequeen Tue 24-Mar-20 15:35:01

I've often wondered what I'd look like with long hair. Now I'm going to find out grin

ninathenana Tue 24-Mar-20 17:20:11

I buzz cut what's left of DH's hair and he shaves himself. Do many men get shaved at the barbers these days ?
My hair is completely grey so no roots to worry about. My eyebrows are non existent. I pluck a few stray hairs. Only thing is my gel nails which are due to be done next week
They will be interesting.

dahlia Tue 24-Mar-20 17:28:20

Have grey hair and can't afford treatments these days, so the only problem will be my short hair style growing out. I may end up with enough hair for a sophisticated French pleat, but I doubt it - had long hair in the 1960's, but had it cut in 1967 and never looked back. At least apart from DH, no-one will see me! wine

MawB Tue 24-Mar-20 17:46:25

I haven’t had hair colour, gel nails/manicure, a beauty treatment, anything done to my eyelashes or eyebrows for years
There is such a thing as lily, also foundation, bmascara if you need it, likewise “wunderbrow”
Men can presumably still shave?
Neanderthal?
Speak for yourself! hmm

MawB Tue 24-Mar-20 17:47:21

Lippy not lily! blush

GrannySomerset Tue 24-Mar-20 17:50:23

Very lovely, Maw but what will your hair be like in 12 weeks? Mine is thick, wavy and with a mind of its own and tends to the haystack when left to its own devices. The rest I can’t worry about, though now DH has had his cataract done I may get some unhelpful comments.

Kittye Tue 24-Mar-20 17:52:02

And very lovely you look too MawB?

GrannyGravy13 Tue 24-Mar-20 18:45:29

Looking good MawB ??

TwiceAsNice Tue 24-Mar-20 18:51:12

As I have my hair regularly cut and coloured and was due to go before I cancelled last week, I’m dreading what I’ll look like with untidy grey hair. However it can’t be helped I’d rather stay alive !

MamaCaz Tue 24-Mar-20 18:52:55

As hope to spend most of my time in the garden, the neighbours will probably just assume that I have made a scarecrow!

NotAGran55 Tue 24-Mar-20 18:59:24

DIY hair- do anyone ?

Charleygirl5 Tue 24-Mar-20 19:20:34

I have fine, short straight hair but a lot of it. It will be sticking out at right angles in a couple of weeks. I am partially sighted so there will be a blood bath when I do my toenails. The podiatrist normally comes to my house. Joy of joys.

MawB Tue 24-Mar-20 19:32:53

I like to think we are all more than the sum of our parts or the result of beauty treatments, manicures, eyelash or eyebrow treatments!
Is OP very young?

Callistemon Tue 24-Mar-20 20:25:22

I shall be so glad when this rather disastrous haircut grows out!
My usual hairdresser was not there.

fatgran57 Wed 25-Mar-20 03:44:10

Mamacaz grin

My hairdresser has messaged me she won't be able to do any clients for the foreseeable future. She works from her home.

Luckily I had mine cut very short last week, but as mine is thick and wavy and grows like a weed I have to have it cut every 3 weeks.

May have to borrow daughter's hair clippers and get OH to have a go at it.

As it grows so fast he won't be able to do much harmsmile

BBbevan Wed 25-Mar-20 06:00:43

I quite fancy a long plait and DH wants a pony tail.

BlueSapphire Wed 25-Mar-20 07:42:07

My hairdressers is now closed and I was due to go in a couple of weeks. I wake up every morning with it sticking out all over the place so have to wash it every day. I have already hacked at my fringe as I was in danger of not being able to see, and the overall length will have to take care of itself. What colour it will be is anyone's guess!
Maw, you look very smart as usual!