Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

All dressed up and nowhere to go

(71 Posts)
Teetime Thu 14-May-20 15:25:10

During lockdown I have done a bit of retail shopping and find that I have put quite a few new things in the wardrobe - (not telling how much). Most are too nice to wear around the house although I do try to look Ok and dont wear lounge wear all the time. Anyone else done some clothes shopping but not worn their new things yet? Will you wear them at home?

grannysue05 Thu 14-May-20 15:36:01

I haven't yet but my dearest friend retrieved her summer clothing from winter storage last week and couldn't find any t-shirts.
She had fun ordering seven new ones from M & S which arrived yesterday. Then she discovered the ones missing from last year.
smile

AGAA4 Thu 14-May-20 15:36:48

Now the nicer weather is here I plan to buy some new things in the hope I may be able to go out at some time this summer.

janeainsworth Thu 14-May-20 16:39:22

I’ve done some clothes shopping and worn my new things.
A black patterned chiffon blouse from &OtherStories, a denim knee length skirt from Arket and a red gingham shirt from Crew Clothing.
Very pleased with them all smile
Teetime I’ve decided that in present circumstances, nothing is too nice to wear round the house! Nice clothes are to be enjoyedsmile

gillybob Thu 14-May-20 16:54:14

I’m ashamed to say blush that I have been dressed like an absolute tramp since the start of this . I’m always clean though.

MerylStreep Thu 14-May-20 17:07:42

I bought 4 new frocks and some M&S snake print skinny ankle grazer. I've worn them all.

kittylester Thu 14-May-20 17:22:23

I've just taken delivery of a blouse, 3 t shirts and 2 pairs of pyjamas.

I am not dressing up much at all.

Callistemon Thu 14-May-20 17:41:46

Nothing.
I thought I'd wear my old stuff and treat myself to new when I can go out again.

I have some newish old stuff that seems a tad snug so it obviously shrank when I washed it before packing it away for the winter.
Running round the garden doesn't work.

MerylStreep Thu 14-May-20 17:49:30

Callistamon
The frocks etc were for the Spanish family holiday that never was ?

Callistemon Thu 14-May-20 17:57:03

Oh dear, you might as well wear them and enjoy them.
I hope you got your money back.

My family were going to come over here this year too, no chance now. sad

Callistemon Thu 14-May-20 17:58:39

I bought two summer macs to take away with me last autumn and so far it's been sunny here.
I'm not going anywhere anyway.

Pittcity Thu 14-May-20 21:54:59

I bought a pair of black joggers and black linen wide legs. Both to wear now depending on weather. Elasticated waists essential.

MayBee70 Thu 14-May-20 22:35:17

For some reason I bought lots of pairs of pyjamas before lockdown and they've come in very handy. I do sometimes put on a pair of leggings when I do the garden. I do often wonder why I've got so many clothes in the wardrobe; many of which I've never worn. I think tomorrow though I might put on some make up; I can't remember the last time I wore some. And I put my earrings in the other night because I suddenly panicked and thought the holes might have grown over [does that happen?]. I revert to slobbery far too easily I'm afraid.

SirChenjin Thu 14-May-20 22:39:58

I bought some dresses from Boden for work just before the lockdown - I’m dying to wear them but I’d feel silly wearing them working from home. Also bought a load of summer clothes for our holiday that will probably not happen now.

OTOH the stretchy joggers I bought from M&S’s Covid Kilos range recently have got a lot of wear.

CanadianGran Thu 14-May-20 23:12:02

I am still working, so have ordered a few things on-line, but am in transportation so very casual clothing. I do miss dressing up a bit but have no occasion to do so. I did put on a more casual dress last Saturday for my outing to the grocery shop.

Had a nice natter with my daughter on the phone and were both groaning about missing shopping. Wandering the main street, window-shopping, stopping for a latte to discuss the shoes we tried on..... ah, one day ladies!

helgawills Fri 15-May-20 09:05:45

Tidied wardrobe and found lots of things I'd forgotten about, no need to buy new for years, I hope.

krazykat Fri 15-May-20 09:10:11

I bought new clothes at the beggining of last summer and then spent most of it in hospital.
Am enjoying wearing them now and luckily the styles seem to cover the amount of weight I lost

Beechnut Fri 15-May-20 09:13:26

I made a new skirt and have worn it a lot. Now I’m making a top from the material that was left.
It cheers me up to wear my nicer clothes.

Teetime Fri 15-May-20 09:16:22

I think I will wear one of the new dresses intended for our holiday if its nice this weekend. Hopefully by late summer we will be able to go somewhere. smile

Dillyduck Fri 15-May-20 09:19:14

My new stuff is aged for my holidays with friends in Crete, then family gatherings, then meetings with friends, then everyday and shopping,then around home and big garden for housework, then decorating, ending up as polishing rag to the family steam roller and traction engine!! Currently I'm not going anywhere so in my "bag lady" clothes, the ancient T shirts that have very nearly worn out. At least three have now been torn up for rag this month. It's the best way of sensibly clearing out stuff that is past it's best. I already have my eye on some lovely new LandsEnd T shirts!

GrammaH Fri 15-May-20 09:23:50

I bought a lovely new wrap dress from Boden as they had a very good sale on but I chose one more suitable for Autumn when hopefully I'll be out & about ! I've got far too many summer clothes which I never get round to wearing under normal circumstances so I certainly don't need any more....not that "need" comes into it when you see something you want and just must have! Yesterday the delivery man brought me a beautiful new Bombshell dress. I'd been coveting a particular one for some time and it went into the sale so I bought it. I worked out it cost me the 3 hair cuts I've missed since lockdown started & I'm going to wear it for my husband's birthday next week when we've ordered a "Fine dining experience " from a local catering company who are now delivering. It's the perfect excuse for us to get dressed up even if we're only going as far as the dining room!

caramel Fri 15-May-20 09:28:25

I have bought a pair of shoes that I wanted but was waiting for them to go on sale which they did - half price. Apart from that I haven't bought anything in the last few months. I have been looking in my wardrobe and realise I have sooo much stuff I feel a bit ashamed and vow not to spend in the future like I did in the past.

Jenken Fri 15-May-20 09:34:07

I bought new tops for a cruise that was cancelled and joked that I was going to wear them when I went to asda to collect and walk around the nearly empty car park having changed several times in the back of the car. When. I got there system had changed and you did not get out of car, items were put in the boot for you.

Alexa Fri 15-May-20 09:35:16

"Tidied wardrobe and found lots of things I'd forgotten about, no need to buy new for years, I hope."

Helgawills, me too.

Also had time and energy to throw away the unwearables.
I did buy warm fluffy insoles for my trainers.

rowanflower0 Fri 15-May-20 09:46:03

My friend and I decided quite some time ago - way before lockdown, that we would keep no clothing for 'best'! What is the point of keeping, good clothing at the back of the wardrobe, for it to be packed into black bags and taken to the charity shops when we die?
Wear them now.
Wear them for yourself and not anyone else!
Feel good and glamorous in them!