Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

How many pairs? (Ankle boots again)

(71 Posts)
MawB2 Mon 05-Oct-20 12:46:06

I’ve done it again, that well known comfortable shoe firm whose name is the opposite of colder have offered me £20 off!

Well it would be a shame to waste that wouldn’t it so I have ordered a new pair of the very very comfy chocolate brown suede Pixie which I wear every day. That way when they get really knackered I have a smart pair (for the unlikely event of actually going anywhere) and after too many abortive attempts with ankle boots from other sources, I know these are as comfortable as slippers!
BTW not answering my own question, that’s between me and my confessor!

Parsley3 Mon 05-Oct-20 13:00:12

A lady never tells her age or how many pairs of boots she owns. This morning,I took delivery of another pair. To be fair though, I have put an old pair of boots into the recycle bag. Unfortunately, I now have it in mind to replace them. I will stay on GN until the notion to browse footwear sites passes.

Calendargirl Mon 05-Oct-20 13:01:24

I seem to recall you have mentioned before about your Imelda Marcos collection of boots/shoes MawB2, so it’s no surprise you have succumbed to temptation!

??????

MawB2 Mon 05-Oct-20 13:04:50

Parsley - a woman after my own heart! ??

J52 Mon 05-Oct-20 13:23:49

A couple of weeks ago I bought a pair of sandals half price from that well known site. Before they arrived they sent me an email showing the said sandals a further £20 off!!
Not risking it with boots.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 05-Oct-20 13:46:39

I spied some must have ankle boots last week, I shall order them later after school run...........and there is no way I am going to count ownup to the pairs of boots I currently have.

janeainsworth Mon 05-Oct-20 13:50:13

3....ordinary black ankle boots, black biker boots, and some grey suede ones.
I presume my hiking boots and my gardening boots (former hiking boots) don’t count!

TerriBull Mon 05-Oct-20 14:26:24

My husband is always moaning about my boot collection, I always acquire at least one new pair of ankle boots every winter, and I rarely get rid of the backlog, building up for years. Some are now accommodated in the garage. Every so often he comes out with "are you ever going to wear these again?, otherwise why don't you get rid of them" "huh! a garage isn't just for a car you know" I'm prone to respond "otherwise we wouldn't have all this unnecessary golf paraphernalia out here as well" one woman/man's treasured possessions are another's old tat!

phoenix Mon 05-Oct-20 14:33:04

janeainsworth

3....ordinary black ankle boots, black biker boots, and some grey suede ones.
I presume my hiking boots and my gardening boots (former hiking boots) don’t count!

Of course they don't jane they are purely functional, you are merely repurposing them, very commendable.

maddyone Mon 05-Oct-20 14:43:02

I just bought a pair of Moda in Pelle boots from QVC and they are very nice. I’ve also bought four lovely tops (not from QVC) including a beautiful alpaca jumper, which was rather expensive, but it will keep me beautifully cosy in the winter. My mother gave me a sum of money for my birthday and I normally put it towards a holiday, but not this year, so I decided to treat myself. My husband’s response? ‘Do you need them?’ I asked what I should have done with money, he didn’t know, apart from that I should save it for a holiday.
There are times when I could cheerfully throttle him!

Do I need them indeed!

kittylester Mon 05-Oct-20 14:50:30

Not many blush

How many do you wear is a different matter mostly just the brown leather (really disreputable but really comfy) ones and the maroon suede ones (which are nearly as comfy but smarter)

I dont wear the fancy black high heels or the new brown leather ones bought as a replacement for the old brown leather ones or any of the others that often at all.

kittylester Mon 05-Oct-20 14:56:06

Er, which ones Maw. just out of interest!

Lucca Mon 05-Oct-20 15:03:47

I feel seriously inadequate. I have one pair of ankle boots and one pair of knee high boots. Perhaps I should browse that site? Our local branch has disappeared along with H and M (the shop not the subject of many a thread on GN!), Gap, cath Kidson, Topshop, Early Learning Centre ....... and others I can’t recall at the moment.
By the way can you only buy Skechers in Skechers shops?

MawB2 Mon 05-Oct-20 15:48:40

This Kittylester
I have them in black, chocolate, blue and now grey!
I have tried Moshulu - love their styles, Rieker (likewise) but wide feet, high insteps (and sshh “sturdy”ankles) often make them too tight round the legs.

sodapop Mon 05-Oct-20 17:18:40

I wear ankle boots all the time in winter but more of a Chelsea boot. Love the Reiker ones, they look good and are so comfortable.
During the summer and indoors I always wear Scholl toe post sandals. My days of high heels sadly are long gone now.

Marelli Mon 05-Oct-20 19:09:33

I have those pixie boots in dark green, MawB2. So comfy! I do need another pair of ankle boots, though. I'll search for the 'opposite of colder' 20% off discount ?!

LadyBella Mon 05-Oct-20 19:12:53

I don't have many. But the sad thing is that no matter what I wear these days hardly anyone comments. And, think about it, can you actually remember what someone wore when you last saw them? Maybe we are all wasting our money. Or do we buy clothes and shoes just to please ourselves?

Marydoll Mon 05-Oct-20 19:21:48

I'm too embarrassed to say how many, I mean seriously embarrassed!! blush However, I have spotted a purple pair in Moshulu. ?
I used to collect buy them at the markets in Rome. I bought a pair of black leather knee length ones for €20, the price on the sole was €165.

Maddyone, ? I lust after some of the Moda in Pelle items on QVC.

Spangler Mon 05-Oct-20 19:40:26

My wife could give Imelda Marcos a run for her money:

Marydoll Mon 05-Oct-20 19:52:51

Sorry, Spangler , I could give your wife a run for her money!
This is the woman who bought seven pairs of shoes in a Spanish factory outlet in ten minutes DH was pacing up and down outside many moons ago. They averaged about £3 pair and were the softest of Spanish leather.

Happy Golden Wedding anniversary for yesterday. ??
I hope I picked that up correctly.

Urmstongran Mon 05-Oct-20 20:49:36

I own one pair of ankle boots. Bought them 2 winters ago.
?

MawB2 Mon 05-Oct-20 21:13:04

As I live in trousers, knee high boots would be a waste of money, but I find ankle boots particularly tempting, especially suede !

Marydoll Mon 05-Oct-20 21:18:15

The knee highs were good when I was working and wore dresses. Our school was always freezing in winter. ❄️?
I only wear ankle boots now, but I can't bring myself to get rid of the knee high ones..?

Jaxjacky Mon 05-Oct-20 21:28:09

Lucca and Urmstongran with you, one pair of ankle boots, one pair of knee high, both 2/3 years old. I wouldn’t wear any more, never claimed to be a style icon! ?

annodomini Mon 05-Oct-20 21:35:04

Lucca, I have bought Skechers on line and in a discount shoe shop in Stockport. The shop is a bit hit or miss - they happened to have my size in a style I wanted on the day I wandered in. They are also available, inevitably on Amazon.