Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Seasalt and others

(27 Posts)
Auntieflo Mon 12-Oct-20 14:31:28

I have just been looking at the new Seasalt catalogue.

They are featuring some nice jumpers/ sweaters, so why, when we are going into the colder season, are most of the necklines still very wide?

I would have to wear something underneath, but don't always want another layer.

suziewoozie Mon 12-Oct-20 14:56:58

I’ve had very bad experience with a Seasalt jumper bobbling - I was so disappointed. Have moved to Celtic and Co and Part Two (Danish, thick cotton). No wide neckline problems either.

Callistemon Mon 12-Oct-20 15:05:12

I thought it was jumper weather yesterday when I went out, but nothing too thick and wintry.
So I wore long knitted sweater (cotton) from White Stuff and my neck was really cold. I should have worn a light scarf too.

I don't like polo necks though (too hot!).

Whingingmom Mon 12-Oct-20 15:11:20

I agree - I love some of the colours and styles, but the necklines are very exposed.

Jane10 Mon 12-Oct-20 15:44:10

I have several polo neck thermal vests from M&S. They are very thin and soft and ideal for filling up low necked jumpers or open necked shirts when it's cold.

GrandmaMoira Mon 12-Oct-20 15:54:27

It's not just Seasalt. Most clothes these days seem to have wide necklines. Some are wide enough to show my bra straps, most are low at the back which makes me feel really cold. I find polo necks really confining and uncomfortable. I just want a simple round, crew neck.

sparklingsilver28 Mon 12-Oct-20 15:54:57

Always buy crew necks. Cannot bear my neck bare even in summer always too cold.

Puzzler61 Mon 12-Oct-20 15:56:34

It is a a problem, and no one wants a draughty neck in cold weather. If you buy one of the jumpers Auntieflo maybe get a Seasalt circular scarf - a nice way to fill the gap around the neck keeping it warm. I have 3 of theirs to do just that.

suziewoozie Mon 12-Oct-20 16:30:18

This is one of the C and C jumpers I bought - called a funnel neck. I got the one in moss
www.celticandco.com/womens/clothing/jumpers/flecked-funnel-neck

Bluebellwould Mon 12-Oct-20 16:32:23

I prefer pink Himalayan salt myself.
ROFLMSO !

Auntieflo Mon 12-Oct-20 16:33:46

Thanks for the replies, I'm glad I'm not the only one, and I will have a look at the ones Sooziwoozie recommended.

I do have lots of scarves, more than I realised when sorting out this morning.

I'm knitting one of my own at the moment ?, so can make the neckline as high as I choose. ?

Callistemon Mon 12-Oct-20 16:34:47

That's a lovely jumper, suziewoozie.

MissChateline Mon 12-Oct-20 16:46:38

Sadly I won’t be shopping at Seasalt again until they allow customers to try on clothes in the store. I have never and will never buy clothes online and I’m not prepared to buy without trying on first. Stores that do make the effort to make shopping an as near to normal experience and don’t expect me to have to spend hours travelling by train to return items will get my custom.

It is as many stores have demonstrated perfectly possible to wipe down a changing room and steam rejected items.

Seasalt are, I believe allowing customers to book a private browsing slot when it is possible to try on. I suspect that they will expect the customer to generously spend to make this worthwhile.

suziewoozie Mon 12-Oct-20 17:10:11

I buy online and find any returns increasingly easy - some you can arrange a courier to collect, others use one of the various parcel shop systems - both mean you can avoid the Post Office. But I do generally only buy online with brands I’ve used before and therefore know their sizing. However recently when buying my first C and C I read reviews on their page re sizing and also consulted the great MN oracle. My jumpers fit perfectly. BTW if anyone wants to buy a C and C , I can let you have. £20 off code I was sent with my order.

annodomini Mon 12-Oct-20 17:27:59

I'm wearing one of my Woolovers jumpers - deep purple - today. It's cosy but light. I have a teeshirt under it as a liner - turquoise but it doesn't show!

Riverwalk Mon 12-Oct-20 18:24:58

Oh, I love that funnel neck Suzie - it's very Hygge!

I'm just perusing the C&C website.

Oldbat1 Mon 12-Oct-20 18:32:38

Celtic and Co far far too expensive for me!

Auntieflo Mon 12-Oct-20 18:39:17

Suziewoozie, apologies for misspelling your name earlier.

I had a look at the site you mentioned. Lovely jumpers, rather expensive, but unfortunately I do not like 100% wool.
Makes me itch.
But, the patterns are really nice, and make me wonder whether I could try and emulate one.

Riverwalk Mon 12-Oct-20 18:45:28

Don't think I've worn Donegal wool before - is it rough?

I've become a bit sensitive in my old age! I find synthetics, cotton, or cashmere suit me better.

Oh, but they do look lovely.

WOODMOUSE49 Mon 12-Oct-20 19:03:17

Oldbat1

Celtic and Co far far too expensive for me!

Agree. Look at that site before, Beautiful jumper suzie but £99 is very expensive.

I've just sent a Seasalt tunic top back. It was from their Tall range and sleeves were still too short. It was an extravagant buy for me at £55.

Callistemon Mon 12-Oct-20 19:37:30

Don't think I've worn Donegal wool before - is it rough?

I was going to ask the same

suziewoozie Mon 12-Oct-20 19:43:39

No really soft and light to wear but warm. I’d wondered about that as well

kittylester Mon 12-Oct-20 19:44:05

I'd rather layer up than wear a high neck - I would scratch myself raw.

Kettlewell have some lovely infinity scarves. I have 3 .... bought in the sale honest. blush

suziewoozie Mon 12-Oct-20 19:45:03

I did get £20 via a code from a MNer?

suziewoozie Mon 12-Oct-20 19:45:27

£20 off I meant