Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Naturally curly ladies

(102 Posts)
tanith Mon 23-Aug-21 13:13:02

I have naturally curly hair and I have been straightening it since I was a teenager. I’ve always preferred the shiny sleek look to the curly frizz, not that it didn’t curl and frizz the minute it was damp or humid out. The last few years I’ve been straightening it less and now for the last few months not at all.

I’ve also not had it cut for 18mths apart from a trim so it’s longer and in better condition but it’s fine for the first day after washing but then it starts to look dry and frizzier.
I’ve been watching videos on curly hair care but they recommend so many products I’m left confused and wonder if any of the curly ladies here could tell me what they use to keep the curl in shape. In fact I’m now reading it’s apparently all the fashion along with letting the grey come to let your curls do their thing. I’ll try and post pics to show you the difference I’d appreciate any input thanks.

Redhead56 Mon 23-Aug-21 14:34:05

My hair is naturally curly I was never happy about it also being the only redhead in the family. I was in my twenties and I went to stay with my sisters in the Channel Islands. They talked me into getting my hair straightened this was the mid 1970s. I was sat in the hairdressers for nearly three hours. My hair looked hideous straight it somehow made me look very plain. I didn’t like it at all I was delighted after a couple of hours my curls gradually returned. I was a hairdressing apprentice when in my late teens I was taught how to scrunch dry curly hair. Hairdressers don’t know the technique now all they want to do it straighten hair. I don’t bother with hairdressers anymore I just do my own hair.

J52 Mon 23-Aug-21 15:38:15

Tanith, my hair is similar to yours, same length and with the same frizz problems. Unless I’m on holiday, I prefer it straight I use an organic shampoo with no chemicals, Argan oil conditioner ( XHC paraben free, cheap as chips from Savers) and then I rub through a very small amount of Argan oil
After that I dry with a Babyliss hot air pro styler, like Lemongrove recommended.
When my hair is dry and styled I lightly spray Argan oil Hair Therapy from Superdrug. This coats the hair and stops it frizzing in a damp atmosphere.

Georgesgran Mon 23-Aug-21 15:45:18

My hair is very thin and I’ve just had it cut to try and make it appear thicker. I’d give my right arm for tanith’s crowning glory in any style!

3nanny6 Mon 23-Aug-21 16:05:31

Tanith what a lovely colour your hair is. From the pictures you posted I liked the sleeker look and your hair was so full and thick looking with also a hint of wave in it I thought it looked beautiful. The other picture was also pretty but your hair was less full and did not have the full effect I liked as the other pictures have you got a few more just to show a better look.

Unlike you I have straight hair but would have liked some curls as I am envious of curly hair.

JaneJudge Mon 23-Aug-21 16:10:01

I usually straighten mine too but I found a hairdresser who was good with curly hair. She suggested to put argon oil and scrunch it up and let it dry naturally and generally it doesn't get on my nerves until I straighten it later in the day, usually before dinner!

Jaxjacky Mon 23-Aug-21 16:48:28

I too have curly hair, I just wash it and leave it, no products and I only wash it about once a week so it retains natural oils. It is shorter than yours though.

Gwyneth Mon 23-Aug-21 16:58:01

I have curly hair too and for years straightened it. I don’t anymore. Now I wear it longer and on damp days when it can go frizzy I wear it up with just shorter curly bits around my face. I’ve always used John Frieda frizz eaze it seems to be as good as anything I’ve tried. Some beautiful hair pictures from posters just proves curly hair can look lovely.

MerylStreep Mon 23-Aug-21 16:58:11

Tanith
You might want to try a cheaper option to Clarifying shampoo.
I’ve used this for years.

www.byrdie.com/baking-soda-shampoo-1388852

Gwyneth Mon 23-Aug-21 16:59:39

Since retirement I only wash mine once a week too Jaxjacky and find it is in much better condition.

tanith Mon 23-Aug-21 17:20:42

Thanks everyone jaxjacky your hair is lovely it’s such a lovely cut.

Mishy Mon 23-Aug-21 17:28:42

I have thick long curly hair have it cut 3 times a year to keep the ends under control, the hair dresser dries it straight as he likes to 'play' with it, I couldn't care less, I wash it twice a week with John Frieda Blond shampoo and a pump of conditioner and comb/brush when towelled dry and then use a blob of Vitapoint to keep the curls in place, the frizz under control and it also conditions the dry ends and that's it, cheap and cheerful.

Fennel Mon 23-Aug-21 18:36:44

I've always had thick hair, not curly but wavey. And ginger/auburn.
Now my head hair is pure white but some of my facial hair is still curly and ginger

LauraNorder Mon 23-Aug-21 18:53:31

Another with thick and curly hair. I wash and condition it once a week with John Freida Frizzease products. Then towel dry and put a palmful of Tresemme conditioner through the ends and allow to dry naturally. If it gets a bit frizzy mid week I wet hands run a bit more Tresemme through.
Always looks good and I get many compliments. I did cut it very short when we went in to first lock down, looked great for a month then hard to control. Back to usual almost shoulder length now and easy peasy to control.

LauraNorder Mon 23-Aug-21 18:54:19

Meant to say great hair Tanith and Jax

dragonfly46 Mon 23-Aug-21 19:00:07

You both have lovely hair Tanith and Jax.
I used to have curly hair pre-chemo, now it is dead straight and very fine. I’d give anything to have my curls back!

geekesse Mon 23-Aug-21 19:24:51

I have grey naturally curly hair. I only wash once a week, using conditioner only - if you are accustomed to washing more frequently, stretch the gap between washes a day each time. Wash once with an ordinary shampoo to remove the residue of silicone from your hair. From then on, wash with silicone-free conditioner. I use Garnier Ultimate Blends coconut water conditioner, but I know Sainsbury’s own brand coconut conditioner is silicone-free. Quite a few brands now put ‘silicone-free’ on the label.

I just wrap it in a towel while I dress, then shake my head and let it dry naturally without heat. I have a good cut every 8 weeks. I can’t persuade my hairdresser to use silicone-free and conditioner only, so for the first wash after a haircut I use baby shampoo to remove the silicone.

I don’t even need to brush it each morning. I can get away with running my fingers through it when I get up.

LadyStardust Mon 23-Aug-21 21:31:57

I found the Curly Girl Method a couple of years ago and it transformed my hair. It can be as simple or as complicated as you like! Loads of information online. I rarely use shampoo, I conditioner wash and never use products with harsh sulphates, silicone or heavy oils and waxes. It worked for me anyway! Here are before and after photos!

3dognight Mon 23-Aug-21 21:53:56

Loving all the gorgeous hair pictures!

I wonder if having a good diet with the correct oil supplements helps hair condition long term?

I’m a curly/ big wavy girl. Having gone from a short crop before lockdown it’s almost like having another pet. All this hair! All the care involved, very interesting thread…

BigBertha1 Mon 23-Aug-21 21:55:57

My hair is curly and likes to frizz up at the slightest lightest hint of rain or most sure i.e.sweat. I have spent thousands on it and tried everything and its still frizzy, dowdy and depressing.

Jaxjacky Mon 23-Aug-21 22:00:59

Thank you

Landlubber Mon 23-Aug-21 22:47:37

I shampoo with this

herbalessences.co.uk/en-gb/products/white-strawberry-sweet-mint/white-strawberry-sweet-mint-shampoo/

Add a dollop of this having wrapped my hair for 10-15 mins

www.boots.com/boots-essentials-curl-creme-250ml-10088417

Finally spritz
Tresemme Botanique Air Dry Smoothing Spray 200ml g.co/kgs/GPiZky

It gives me lovely waves

tanith Mon 23-Aug-21 23:13:31

So interesting hearing about all the different ways we treat our curly locks. I’m looking at all the different products and methods you’ve suggested.

JackyB Tue 24-Aug-21 07:11:02

I have always had wavy hair (goes curly under damp conditions). It would never have occurred to me to straighten it.

To answer the OP: use as few products as possible. Get a good cut. Never use a hairdryer. My hair regime is the same as Jaxjacky. Just wash out and leave.

Kate1949 Tue 24-Aug-21 10:03:17

Me too Georgesgran As someone with alopecia totalis, I'd given anything for the lovely hair these ladies have.

FannyCornforth Tue 24-Aug-21 10:05:44

Kate flowers