Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Tanning tips/recommendations for "old" white legs!

(52 Posts)
Kiwiqueen123 Fri 06-May-22 18:56:13

I've bought a really nice dress which is described as midi. I would have liked it slightly longer but hey ho. I have very white/bluey legs (not my best feature). I'm going to need to put something on them so that they don't look so pale. So many different products in Boots that I'm totally confused. Has anyone got any recommendations that are easy to apply and cover up mistakes please. Quite happy with "wash off".

EVHead Fri 06-May-22 19:31:02

Clarins tanning drops are excellent. You add them to your usual moisturiser so you can experiment with the number of drops you need to achieve the desired shade.

Visgir1 Fri 06-May-22 19:49:05

EVHead

Clarins tanning drops are excellent. You add them to your usual moisturiser so you can experiment with the number of drops you need to achieve the desired shade.

Big fan of these too

J52 Fri 06-May-22 20:02:56

For legs and arms I use Dove gradual tan moisturiser. I use the Clarins tanning drops for my face and agree they’re very good to give you a glow.

Callistemon21 Fri 06-May-22 20:25:06

J52

For legs and arms I use Dove gradual tan moisturiser. I use the Clarins tanning drops for my face and agree they’re very good to give you a glow.

I'd recommend a slow method too, such as Dove gradual tan moisturiser.

Perhaps I didn't use the Clarins drops properly but I thought they seemed to make my face a strange colour!!

J52 Fri 06-May-22 20:45:26

The Clarins drops are strong, I only use a couple of drops every few days until I think its enough.

CanadianGran Fri 06-May-22 20:59:24

I have used l'Oreal Sublime Bronze tinted lotion. Because it is tinted you see where it's going, and how even the application.

Elizabeth27 Fri 06-May-22 21:50:03

Another vote for the Dove gradual tan, my legs looked great after 5 days, I used the fair to medium. When I say legs I mean knee to ankle, looks very odd when seeing my whole leg.

Florencelady Sun 08-May-22 00:15:01

I put a small squirt of Doves gradual tan into my usual body lotion and do the whole leg. Its very gradual that way so no danger of overdoing it. Just gives a nice healthy look ..not fake .

Esmay Sun 08-May-22 02:58:54

Dove gradual tan is great.
My daughter ,who does not tan uses it all the time.
I use Sally Hansen airbrush legs on my pale blotchy extremely prone to bruising legs .
I can bath with it on and as long as I don't use soap just water - it stays on very well .
Then I scrub off and start again .
I've used it for years in the summer .

DillytheGardener Sun 08-May-22 05:21:24

Esmay do you think the sally Hansen product would cover up spider veins?

Esmay Sun 08-May-22 09:28:54

Hi Dilly ,
Yes definitely.
I'm really ashamed of my awful blotchy legs .
I have abnormal bruising. I develop bruises without any trauma .It's been a problem for years.
There's a post on it and I mean to reply.
I'm so embarrassed by them that I have Muslim swimwear should I go swimming !
Good luck and take care .

Esmay Sun 08-May-22 09:32:16

Just looked .
It's an old post !

Esspee Sun 08-May-22 09:53:58

I’m not sure what you mean about an old post Esmay the OP is dated Friday.

Why not let your legs get a real tan Kiwiqueen?

We can all do with allowing our bodies to produce natural vitamin D.
Just get your shorts on and go for a regular walk unless you are in NZ where you are heading into winter.

glammanana Sun 08-May-22 10:01:09

I have used Dove gradual tan mousse for a long time with great results in fair to medium,at the moment it is buy one get one half price at Boots I've just stocked up before my holiday.

Pittcity Sun 08-May-22 10:54:13

I can't use these tanning products because I react to some of the ingredients.
I agree with Espee, just bare them in the garden for a natural look.
I have learned to embrace my white, veiny legs and not to worry what I think that others think.

Elizabeth27 Sun 08-May-22 11:51:10

Esmay

Just looked .
It's an old post !

Friday is not an old post. If someone does want to restart an old post it means the subject is relevant to them now so it is okay to do that, tanning will come up every year as there will be those that have not read the old posts about it.

Esmay Sun 08-May-22 12:49:50

Hi Elisabeth and Espee ,

Remembering that I'd seen a post about bruising -I typed in bruised legs in search and saw posts dating back to 2020 .
If I'd typed in purpura I would have seen that it's a recent post .

Esmay Sun 08-May-22 12:52:49

Sorry Elizabeth not Elisabeth and Esspee not Espee !

Blossoming Sun 08-May-22 12:55:27

Those who use tanning products, is it easy to avoid streaks and do they stain clothes at all?

Calendargirl Sun 08-May-22 14:06:29

Why not let your legs get a real tan?

Well, a walk every day in the sunshine wearing shorts still wouldn’t result in lovely tanned legs for some of us.

For some reason, my legs are the worst part of my body to get a tan.

Kate1949 Sun 08-May-22 15:34:30

My legs would never tan naturally in a million years!

Serendipity22 Sun 08-May-22 16:11:12

Ohhh I wear a lot of leggings with the bottoms folded up a little bit ( above my ankles ) so its a must to have that 3" of flesh looking tanned ( despite the rest of me is un-tanned !!)

So I use Dove.... moisture lotion with tanning lotion mixed in ..... brilliant.....

smile

FannyCornforth Sun 08-May-22 16:24:19

Blossoming

Those who use tanning products, is it easy to avoid streaks and do they stain clothes at all?

They are the devil’s work Blossoming
A complete waste of money. That’s my experience anyway. Streaky, messy stuff.
It absolutely stinks to boot.
I’m with Kate, if you really are pale there isn’t much that you can do about it.
Around 20 years ago I went to Goa for three weeks and came back looking like I’d had a pleasant long weekend in Cornwall.
I’ve been embracing my paleness for a while now

DillytheGardener Mon 09-May-22 18:17:17

Esmay I have terrible spider veins and also to add to that delight I developed what’s called ‘hot water bottle rash’ from over using my hot water bottle on my sciatic leg, I’ve literally cooked my legs and will have this ugly marks for some months years. (Attached a stock picture of what I have to warn others about the dangers of hot water bottles)
I’m hoping this product will cover this mess up. Thank you for your recommendation, it’s really dented my confidence and I’m so hot in bloody trousers instead of linen dresses.