Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Has M&S lingerie lost the plot?

(113 Posts)
CvD66 Mon 15-Aug-22 10:58:59

I've just been to M&S to top up my underwear and was horrified to find mountains of multipacks of bras - with colours that will surely end up in landfill. Not a navy bra to be had (my preferred go-to colour) Their 'new' high leg knickers - my standard for years - are made of the thinnest fabric going! I'm distraught. Where do you buy your underwear? I am in need of guidance to a new decent lingerie shop - after 69 year loyal M&S knicker wearing.

Witzend Mon 15-Aug-22 13:11:41

I must say that many of the masses of often IMO garish coloured bras I saw in M&S the other day made me think of what my father occasionally said - ‘Like something out of a tart’s boudoir.’*
Ok, probably OTT but so many didn’t look remotely tasteful - not to me, anyway.

*I never did think to ask him how he knew what he’d find in a tart’s boudoir!’ ?

Baggytrazzas Mon 15-Aug-22 13:13:52

the socks too seem to have reduced in quality, not I think about it.

Ladyleftfieldlover Mon 15-Aug-22 13:30:09

I buy knickers from John Lewis and bras from Miss Mary of Sweden. My son’s partner buys me socks from the Kew Gardens shop.

BlueBelle Mon 15-Aug-22 13:30:51

Well I rarely if ever buy from Mand S but I ve just bought a camouflage grey plunge bra non wire which they also had in navy blue cVD and Black they had lots of sizes too from 9small to bigger than me and I m not tiny and they re pretty enough that I can sit in the garden to sunbathe in them
The name is BODY and the type is plunge bra It was £20

toscalily Mon 15-Aug-22 13:31:09

Apologies, as Jaxjacky says you have to use the drop down colour filter then there are more choices in navy.

Grandmajean Mon 15-Aug-22 13:56:57

How dumb am I !! I used the drop down colour filter and only got four colours. Have discovered that you use the slider to get more options ! Yep there are 48 in navy !

Rosalyn69 Mon 15-Aug-22 14:32:49

I wonder if as we age we don’t realise what fitted us at 20 doesn’t look good at 60+
I get my underwear from M & S. It is a case of being flexible and not trying to buy the same knickers I bought 30 years ago in exactly the same shade. I have some of the “thin” full briefs. They are super light and comfy to wear.

M0nica Mon 15-Aug-22 14:41:01

Sorry, Casdon I have just looked through the M&S lingerie range. I searched on my size and no other limiters and I do not modify my judgement one jot. The vast majority of their range seem to come in black, white or other muted dull colours, including that ghastly flesh colour. When they move from this limited range their colours are garish and crude and the patterns likewise. I only saw one bra I looked at twice.

I will stick to Leclerc for my underwear.

Debbi58 Mon 15-Aug-22 14:47:15

Have you tried George at Asda , I buy my bra's from them (36E) never had a problem. I also love Next Online

DanniRae Mon 15-Aug-22 14:48:38

I followed the instructions to find navy bras and yes I found 48 and all in a lovely shade of navy!
I don't understand why every so often we have a "Lets knock M&S thread!" - It's getting a bit boring to be honest !! hmm

CvD66 Mon 15-Aug-22 15:05:13

I'm fascinated how many posters find my comments about navy bras in need of correction. On this visit to M&S
a. I was in the Derby M&S. No navy bras
b. this is not the first time (and I usually shop in London) and staff often complain few navy in my size (34E)Hence my posting
c. online navy are not all navy more cobalt
d. at this visit I was very disappointed in the move towards so many multi bras when all I wanted was a plain navy, unwired, not padded bra.
e. even on line you are encourage to multipack purchases and when you only want one or maybe two colours, I consider this a waste. (Perhaps I could send the one I don't want to Smalls for all - before someone else suggests it!)
Thanks those who recommended particular bras - I WILL look online but I DO like to see, feel and try before I buy.
Knicker quality has definitely gone down IMO.
Love the new suggestions of suppliers and intend to have fun trying out other providers!

lemsip Mon 15-Aug-22 16:11:33

the OP is obviously talking of going into the store so it's rather silly for posters to look online and post how many navy bras they've found f g sake

Rosalyn69 Mon 15-Aug-22 16:25:36

If you can’t find what you want in store surely it’s worth a look online?

Gin Mon 15-Aug-22 16:46:58

I had a drawer full of unwearable new bras bought from M&S sold in threes. After wearing one from each of the packs over time and finding them uncomfortable or unsupportive, it then made them impossible to return. Fortunately, a lady in our village arranged to send a load off to a charity, so they are not going to waste. Last week bought three more, not really what I wanted but as I did not want pull over your head sports bras or ant padding the choice was v limited. What have they done with the ones they had in cardboard boxes? Sturdy but attractive styles for mature ladies.

toscalily Mon 15-Aug-22 16:50:06

Well the very small store near me has very little choice in either size or colour so the only way is to buy online.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 15-Aug-22 16:52:51

They have so many styles, colours, sizes and matching pants also in different styles it is impossible to stock the full range.

I guess they stock what items sell best in each store.

Jaxjacky Mon 15-Aug-22 16:54:22

Sometimes there’s more choice online as others have said, I order online, pick up and try on in store, immediate return if I’m not happy.

BlueBelle Mon 15-Aug-22 16:56:15

Well if your store doesn’t stock them the only choice is online Lemsip isn’t i5 ?

M0nica Mon 15-Aug-22 17:02:08

Debbie58 No Asdas within 30 miles, that I know of.

A quite separate problem is that I am a small size, 32B, so even in my beloved Leclerc, I like the range, but sometimes struggle to find my size.

saltnshake Mon 15-Aug-22 18:08:44

Buy my knickers from Unibu. British made and very good quality. About the same price as Sloggi. Gave up on M&S long ago.

Smudgie Mon 15-Aug-22 18:55:52

Talking of M&S pants...... last night after his shower my husband stood in front of me wearing his black y fronts. He said that he would have to buy more (from Primark) because they had obviously stretched and were not "supportive". When I looked confusedI realised they were my black cotton (size 22) pants from M&S. There were two pairs in the linen basket so he had obviously been wearing them for days. I can't wait to tell my friends at our lunch meeting next week!!!

Calendargirl Mon 15-Aug-22 19:23:36

It’s when he starts wearing the M&S navy bras that you might be more concerned Smudgie.

?

Jaxjacky Mon 15-Aug-22 19:29:41

Specsavers Smudgie?

Deedaa Mon 15-Aug-22 19:33:39

I went looking for a white bra in M&S last week. Lots of multipacks with assorted colours but I wanted ONE white one, I didn't want to pay for three or four in colours I was never going to wear. I eventually found a nice little white lace one which was only £14 so reasonably happy. A while ago I found some very cheap multi packs of white shorts with a lace trim. I bought several packs and I've been very pleased with them.

Yammy Mon 15-Aug-22 19:43:42

Give John Lewis a try for Bras they have lots of makes and a wide range of styles. Not so good on all cotton pants which I prefer. My DH claimed I had had the the washing on too high a temperature .When I looked he had my pants on!! A friends husband had her socks on ,one long one shortand claimed the same. Maybe spec savers could give a discount for men of a certain age if they go in a group.