Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Joanna Lumley hair colour.

(87 Posts)
Allsorts Fri 14-Apr-23 21:54:08

Joanna Lumley has said more than once she cuts and dyes her own hair and just uses Astral as her face cream. I wonder what hair colour she uses, does anyone know, plus even hairdressers don’t cut their own hair so how does she do it? When I tried Astral cream I thought how thick it was, that it didn’t sink in and left my skin greasy looking.
I don’t know why I started thinking about it, but it is annoying how she looks so good with so little maintenance. Wish I did.

Oreo Fri 14-Apr-23 21:56:29

You believe her? Really?😄

FannyCornforth Sat 15-Apr-23 06:57:39

She’s said it so many times, I do believe her.
She has been a model and in the business for so long, she knows the ropes.
She comes across as extremely honest.
Looking at her hair, I can definitely believe that she cuts and dyes it herself.
I agree about the Astral, it is very greasy. I know that Shirley Bassey covers her face with Vaseline at night.
I couldn’t find anything about which dyes she uses, but she does swear by Elnette hairspray.

J52 Sat 15-Apr-23 07:12:27

As with all celebs of a certain age, airbrushing the photos helps.

Riverwalk Sat 15-Apr-23 07:27:13

Does JL say that she always cuts & colours her own hair?

She probably like many people trims her fringe and touches-up the roots in between salon visits.

Witzend Sat 15-Apr-23 07:35:58

My mother swore by Astral cream - never used anything else, and her skin was always good. Mind you, being very fair she tended to keep out of the sun, too, so I’m sure that had a lot to do with it.

Calendargirl Sat 15-Apr-23 07:39:53

I think J’s hair looks like she could easily have cut it herself.

To me, it looks a bit of a tousled mess sometimes, ok on her, but just messy on your average pensioner.

NotAGran55 Sat 15-Apr-23 07:44:39

Her hair looks like straw to me! Dry and unnatural colour.
Why do women with lovely hair ruin it by wanting to be blonde when they aren’t?
There are some beautiful photos of her in her younger days with darker hair.

Kalu Sat 15-Apr-23 07:46:09

JL has always said she cuts and colours her own hair. I think it pretty obvious!
As previously stated, being a former model, she knows the tricks of the trade and has shared a few over the years plus, she has had some work done as has Helen Mirren. Both previously saying they would never go down that route.
Anyone remember JL’s slimming tip….cabbage soup. Revolting stuff. 😄

Baggs Sat 15-Apr-23 08:21:18

I made some cabbage and lettuce soup once. It also contained various bits of leftover veg that I'd stored in the freezer. It was really nice 🥣 😜

Georgesgran Sat 15-Apr-23 08:25:49

The cabbage soup diet. I remember it well - I’m sure I have the recipe somewhere!

Kalu Sat 15-Apr-23 08:34:38

I remember a friend boiling the life out of a cabbage so I think JL pinched the soup recipe from said friend. 😫

FannyCornforth Sat 15-Apr-23 08:46:37

I remember when she was on some sort of ‘survival in the jungle’ show and she made shoes out of her bra

Kalu Sat 15-Apr-23 08:51:25

Baggs

I made some cabbage and lettuce soup once. It also contained various bits of leftover veg that I'd stored in the freezer. It was really nice 🥣 😜

Many wouldn’t but I believe you Baggs. 😜.
Just not to my taste.

Esmay Sat 15-Apr-23 08:53:47

Much as I like Joanna - I really don't like her hair .
It's too Worzel for me .
I'd like to dye it a softer colour with some subtle highlighs and put some gentle waves or curls in it .
And some much needed shine .

Astral cream is good .
But I swear by Nivea for my face and body .
I didn't know that she cabbage soups !

It's a great diet if you want to do impressions of Lambretta !

merlotgran Sat 15-Apr-23 09:16:02

I love Joanna Lumley’s style - her clothes and her hair although I don’t believe she cuts it herself.

I’m also a long time fan of cabbage soup. Great for de-toxing and getting rid of a few lbs.

According to Jennifer Saunders, JL also eats lots of bananas!

Caramme Sat 15-Apr-23 09:16:35

Can’t imagine the mess Astral cream would make of my pillow cases if I used it at night.

Sago Sat 15-Apr-23 09:19:29

My DIL has a professional relationship with JL she says she is “absolutely fabulous”.
She start her emails with My darling S……

Forsythia Sat 15-Apr-23 09:19:58

I like Joanna Lumley and think she looks great. She has fantastic bone structure, is tall and slim all of which helps. I’ve used Astral and it’s a good cream especially in the winter as it protects from wind and drying out with the heating on.

My mum and aunts all did the cabbage soup diet with mixed degrees of success and that was in the 60’s.

TerriBull Sat 15-Apr-23 09:21:20

I agree with Esmay, Joanna Absolutely Fabulous, her hair not so much. It looks dry and brittle and over processed. I'm never sure about an all over block colour which isn't which isn't natural as we age and skin tone inevitably changes. I think the famous head of hair I would most covet would be Jennifer Aniston's, albeit a couple of decades younger than Joanna I love her weave (of no doubt very expensive highlights). With Joanna's income I certainly wouldn't be doing my own hair I'd be paying for a hairdresser's expertise. I've stopped colouring my roots between hairdressing appointments for highlights , although I've upped those to every five or six weeks, and am embracing the natural greys which to my surprise are blending in far better with highlights than the darker base colour I'd previously been using. Besides colouring one's own hair is a real messy faff.

Glorianny Sat 15-Apr-23 09:36:35

I think she's probably like Hellen Mirren who also claims to cut her own hair. They probably do, but then they will go for a photoshoot where the make up and stylist will tidy it up for them, Effectively it's a free hairdo. Then they can still proudly boast that they always do their own hair.

Baggs Sat 15-Apr-23 09:42:21

Kalu

Baggs

Many wouldn’t but I believe you Baggs. 😜.
Just not to my taste.

😁

Baggs Sat 15-Apr-23 09:43:58

PS Mine wasn't a diet soup. Just soup. Really filling with a hunk of good bread or some oatcakes 😋

Callistemon21 Sat 15-Apr-23 10:22:20

Kalu

JL has always said she cuts and colours her own hair. I think it pretty obvious!
As previously stated, being a former model, she knows the tricks of the trade and has shared a few over the years plus, she has had some work done as has Helen Mirren. Both previously saying they would never go down that route.
Anyone remember JL’s slimming tip….cabbage soup. Revolting stuff. 😄

Oh yes, the cabbage soup, I think many of us tried that. Least said the better!
😁

Her hair doesn't look in very good condition, unfortunately. Too much bleaching. She needs some Argan oil.

But I do like her 🙂

Casdon Sat 15-Apr-23 10:24:39

She’s a beautiful woman, I’d put up with hair like hers to look like she does. I agree with her about Elnett too.