Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Mascara

(58 Posts)
PinkCosmos Wed 16-Aug-23 15:51:37

As I have got older my eyelashes have become much shorter and much more sparse.

I am looking for a mascara that will accentuate my eyelashes but not make me look like I have those ridiculous fake lashes that the young ones wear. I don't wear much makeup anyway and have worn it even less since Covid.

I used to use Rimmel and prefer a thinner brush than a thick bushy one. I am not sure about the mascara with fibres in it as they always seem to shed

I was looking at the Be Fabulous Forever mascara - which is for us older ladies - but the reviews were not that good and the brush was really thick.

I don't want to pay a fortune and would prefer brown black to black.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

BigBertha1 Wed 16-Aug-23 15:53:31

Lancome seems to come out the best in surveys and it is very lovely but it is a bit pricier - nearly £30 I think. I like it but only need to be one every year. I have my eyelashes dyed- have you thought of that it does make quite a difference.

SachaMac Wed 16-Aug-23 16:08:03

I’ve tried many but my current favourite is Clinique Lash Power in black. I assume they it in brown.

Barleysugar Wed 16-Aug-23 16:14:28

Lancôme every time.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 16-Aug-23 16:18:00

Lancôme Hypnoise or Doll Eyes

dogsmother Wed 16-Aug-23 16:23:43

You should try the eyelash serums, they do work, mine at least are greatly improved.

Marydoll Wed 16-Aug-23 16:42:04

SachaMac

I’ve tried many but my current favourite is Clinique Lash Power in black. I assume they it in brown.

They do and brown black, which I use.

Try the Look Fantastic or Feel Unique sites for good prices.

silverlining48 Wed 16-Aug-23 17:12:26

Poundland does brown/ black . It isn’t a thick brush and doesn’t make my eyes sore.

HowVeryDareYou2 Wed 16-Aug-23 21:50:38

I use one by KIKO Milano, from Amazon. I like the Burgundy one. It flatters my green eyes

Marydoll Wed 16-Aug-23 22:13:50

HowVeryDareYou2

I use one by KIKO Milano, from Amazon. I like the Burgundy one. It flatters my green eyes

Kiko used to deliver to the UK.
I don't know if they still do.

Callistemon21 Wed 16-Aug-23 22:21:03

I've used Clinique for years but I have the same problem as you PinkCosmos, my eyelashes seem to be getting shorter and sparse, strange as my hair is still thick and my eyebrows need frequent plucking as does my chin hair.

I bought a Boots own make mascara (gold case) and it's ok, as good as but no better than the Clinique brand.

Perhaps I'll try Lancôme for a change.

hollysteers Wed 16-Aug-23 22:56:12

A primer is the answer. I now have short thin eyelashes and could not get a good effect without a white primer base. If I used mascara alone, the effect would be pretty pathetic.
With both, the results are good.
L’Oreal do a good one and not costly.

Theexwife Wed 16-Aug-23 23:01:04

I use No7 age defying, a good mascara with serum in it.

MayBee70 Wed 16-Aug-23 23:02:57

I bought some Prime mascara that I saw advertised on the internet. It was supposed to be for sparse lashes but doesn’t really lengthen them. But I found a sample of Clinique high impact mascara in my make up bag, tried it and was rather impressed so am going to buy some of that.

henetha Wed 16-Aug-23 23:14:36

You're my sort of gal, silverlings. All these expensive makes and then you throw Poundland into the mix.
Wonderful! smile

Callistemon21 Wed 16-Aug-23 23:22:15

I have o idea where there is a Poundland!

Callistemon21 Wed 16-Aug-23 23:22:28

No idea, sorry.

shysal Thu 17-Aug-23 07:54:17

Another fan of eyelash lengthening serum here. It really works. Within a month my lashes have become almost too long!
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/394711634844

For mascara I currently use Charlotte Tilbury Pillow Talk in Dream Pop colour, which is a natural looking dark brown. It gives length and volume and doesn't give me panda eyes!

glammanana Thu 17-Aug-23 08:03:13

Serum & Primer really works well on my now thin lashes makes all the difference

GrannyGravy13 Thu 17-Aug-23 08:21:28

Marydoll

HowVeryDareYou2

Kiko used to deliver to the UK.
I don't know if they still do.

Kiko has got a few stand alone stores in U.K. and deliver to the U.K.

They did have some outlets in large department stores, not sure if they still do.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 17-Aug-23 08:23:39

Oops posted to soon, we have a Kiko outlet in my closest shopping mall (Lakeside, Essex)

Marydoll Thu 17-Aug-23 08:47:15

I first discovered Kiko in Milan Airport many moons ago. The nail polish was €1,50. I thought I had died and gone to heaven.
I read that all the fashion reporters used to flock there in Milan fashion week.

On our annual visit to Rome, I would stock up, spent a fortune. Much to the amusement of the assistants, this wee, Scottish woman handed over her loyalty card and asked for the points to be added! They were!

GrannyGravy13 Thu 17-Aug-23 08:50:41

MaryDoll my first Kiko products were a gift from DH (back in the day when he would actually go out and buy my gifts 🤣)

aonk Thu 17-Aug-23 11:34:46

I’m really interested in getting eyelash and also eyebrow serum. I really need to do something! Recommendations welcome please.

Gillycats Thu 17-Aug-23 13:29:14

M and S for sure. Reasonably priced, very good and not tested on animals.