Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Sick of stripes!

(65 Posts)
Foxygloves Wed 23-Aug-23 11:18:13

One reason I am looking forward to autumn and winter will be that I can consign all my stripey t shirts and tops to the bags destined for the loft!
Yes I know there are alternatives- but I find most florals “mumsy” and abstracts tend to feature only in the more expensive ranges. And a t shirt is a t shirt is a t shirt!
So bye bye Bretons, and so long stripes.

25Avalon Wed 23-Aug-23 11:24:09

You can get just plain ones in all sorts of colours.M&S have loads. Or is that too boring? You can jazz them up with a scarf or pretty necklace.

Foxygloves Wed 23-Aug-23 11:27:45

Good point, but the quality of the cotton gets poorer each year- no doubt to keep prices down - and a pattern (default -stripes) is a good way to disguise thin fabric.

shysal Wed 23-Aug-23 11:45:34

A lot of my winter tops are striped as well as the summer ones, but I like them!

Aveline Wed 23-Aug-23 11:46:58

I do like stripes and seem to have accidentally accrued lots of stripy items both summer and winter.

Dottydots Wed 23-Aug-23 11:53:09

I'm also a sucker for stripes. Told myself not to buy anymore this year but naughty myself didn't listen and I bought three more.

Theexwife Wed 23-Aug-23 12:00:38

I stopped wearing stripes, including with added flowers from Joules, several years ago. I was sitting in a M&S cafe next to a mother and child, to keep the child occupied she was counting ladies with striped tops, and she very quickly got to 20. I noticed most were wearing Skechers too.

BigBertha1 Wed 23-Aug-23 12:07:18

I gave up on stripy tops once everyone was wearing them. I have couple left for doing housework in but I am really bored that's all I seem to see in the shops.

Callistemon21 Wed 23-Aug-23 12:20:16

Theexwife

I stopped wearing stripes, including with added flowers from Joules, several years ago. I was sitting in a M&S cafe next to a mother and child, to keep the child occupied she was counting ladies with striped tops, and she very quickly got to 20. I noticed most were wearing Skechers too.

😂😂😂

Like counting cars of a certain colour on a motorway journey.
Different colour for each child to see who scored the highest!

Callistemon21 Wed 23-Aug-23 12:21:56

I've got just one, rather old, White Stuff top with faint stripes and flowers and if I wear it DH says "Oh, you look nice" in surprise.

I do have other stripey Breton style tops though.

HelterSkelter1 Wed 23-Aug-23 12:27:25

Oh dear. We have got to the stage where we will have to wave to someone wearing one...like you did years ago if someone drove the same car. Or to the AA or RAC man on his motorbike.

I am wearing a lovely old one from Uniqlo in very good quality thick cotton. Love it.

DanniRae Wed 23-Aug-23 12:32:22

We all like stripes in my family. Its not unusual to turn up at a gathering and we will all be in striped tops. If anyone isn't in stripes they claim that they 'didn't get the memo'

Bella23 Wed 23-Aug-23 12:35:54

I like my Brettons ,Summer and Winter are my go-to top under a cardigan, jumper or Jacket. I change the season's colours but still like my navy and cream ones best.
Old ladies in flowered tops can look as if they are wearing their granny's curtains according to DH.

sodapop Wed 23-Aug-23 12:47:42

Rude Bella23 I have some floral tops which are not like curtains at all. Just don't want to go along with the stripey herd. smile

dogsmother Wed 23-Aug-23 13:35:52

All my life I’ve been a stripes……..I’m currently trying very, very hard to go for plain tops and it’s really difficult as they are turning into all white tops!
We are all creatures of habit and that’s a fact.

Casdon Wed 23-Aug-23 14:13:24

I don’t mind stripes, or spots, but usually I go for plain tops, ideally with a collar or scoop neck. Flowers, never. I don’t think I have a single flowery thing in my wardrobe.

kittylester Wed 23-Aug-23 14:16:16

I love brecon stripes. And I have seen fewer this year, I thought.

Foxygloves Wed 23-Aug-23 14:17:17

Is that the Welsh branch of Joules? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

kittylester Wed 23-Aug-23 14:18:08

Beeping phone!!!!

Patsy70 Wed 23-Aug-23 14:57:14

I still have a couple of striped tops, Seasalt, but grew tired of my Joules ones and took them to the charity shop. I rather like spots or plain, jazzed up with a scarf or necklace.

MrsKen33 Wed 23-Aug-23 15:40:02

I rarely wear a pattern, on T-shirts or dresses. Most of my T-shirts are white also. I do have one striped Seasalt shirt but I can’t remember when I last wore it.

ImogenMac Wed 23-Aug-23 16:55:42

I’m in complete agreement with Foxy and Bertha. Utterly fed up with stripes, inspite of some being good quality cotton and comfortable to wear.
I’ve reverted to plain and agree M&S aren’t the best.
I did get some lovely Boden ones recently in the sale which I’m pleased with.

LovelyCuppa Wed 23-Aug-23 17:07:19

I love stripes! They don’t date as much as other patterns do. Nothing wrong with a good stripe!

NotSpaghetti Wed 23-Aug-23 17:15:06

I love stripes - particularly loved the old Clothkits ones in (maybe) late 70s - but certainly the very early 1980s which came in lots of slightly "off-beat" colours. 😍

shysal Wed 23-Aug-23 17:20:32

This thread puts me in mind of this video of a wives' prank on their T-shirt wearing husbands.
www.bing.com/videos/search?q=youtube+video+men+wearing+same+striped+top&docid=603520115751662979&mid=87CA1D697616714C21D087CA1D697616714C21D0&view=detail&FORM=VIRE