Gransnet forums

Technology

Help - I'm hit with failure notices

(30 Posts)
AlieOxon Tue 07-Aug-12 18:34:35

I've suddenly started getting dozens of failure notices for emails I haven't sent!
I've deleted about 4 dozen and they keep coming!
What do I do?

AlieOxon Thu 09-Aug-12 07:04:41

I put the follow-on post on the wrong thread I think - anyway it is sorted and quite quickly.

They didn't seem interested in what kind of suspicious stuff was going on. Seemed like it was everyday stuff and the point was to sort it out for the customer as quickly as possible - good for me, but what was the point of this apparent phishing? If I had put myself onto the 'Guest List' what would it be used for?

Is someone just collecting email addresses? For a future scam?

glammanana Thu 09-Aug-12 07:24:10

My yahoo mail has been playing up for a few weeks now I am having days when I can't open mail or get access to write a new e-mail,spam box still has 30+ every morning when I switch on and I have been down the road of clearing all my browser history and spoken to the man at the end of the phone who must think I am daft !! I had an urgent e-mail to reply to yesterday and couldn't reply and the air was blue after an hour of messing about trying to access low and behold we are back to normal.....very strange DDs friend is coming to-morrow he works in IT so is going to find problem for me I hope.

whenim64 Thu 09-Aug-12 08:08:17

Alie some phishing is done in order to show organisations like banks and Yahoo that their systems have flaws and need to be improved. The recent news about millions of passwords being obtained from Yahoo came from hackers whose motivation was to demonstrate security could be breached, but it was said not to be malicious. It's still a pain in the neck when these things happen, but you probably aren't being targeted for negative reasons on this occasion.

petra Thu 09-Aug-12 17:58:10

Hi everyone.
Is there anyone out there who can help with this request.
I will start by saying that i am a bit of a ludite [spelling] with the internet so please reply in words of one sylable.
I have bought the ipad 2.I travel a lot in France and Spain. I want to know the easiest/ cheapest way to use the internet when i dont have wifi access.
My husband does not want a contract. He wants a pay as you go.
We want to know what sim or card ? we can buy in France.
Thank you for reading this. Petra