Gransnet forums

Technology

Windows 10 free download

(68 Posts)
opsimath Sun 16-Aug-15 09:29:19

Has anyone here also been offered a free download of this new Microsoft system? Have you or would you accept it? I would like to think all the glitches have been ironed out but not being sure makes me hesitate. They say the download will cost almost £100 later so has anyone taken the plunge and are they happy? I would be so grateful for advice.

AlieOxon Sat 04-Jun-16 10:40:31

It isn't back. Thanks GandTea.

honeypot43 Mon 20-Jun-16 16:24:03

I also get Windows 10 advice to download it, but was advised not to do it, as I have Windows 7 at the moment. Not sure whats best to do

Charleygirl Mon 20-Jun-16 16:31:09

honeypot43 as I said earlier I was advised by my computer fellow not to switch as there are still problems. Some people have managed without a hitch but I am not taking that chance, even if I end up paying for it next year.

Badenkate Mon 20-Jun-16 16:32:55

I think if you have reasonably new computers without a lot of stuff on them, then Windows 10 is worth downloading, but if your computer is more than 3 years old I don't think it's worth the time or aggro. You do have to accept that Microsoft will eventually remove backup for older systems.

grannylyn65 Mon 20-Jun-16 16:34:27

No No No !!
And, make sure you do not have automatic updates; it installed itself on my pc !!!angry

felice Mon 20-Jun-16 17:08:49

Same here grannylyn, and it immediately removed my online banking (had to take the laptop to the bank to get it sorted) and BBC radio app.
It took a friend 4 hours to re-install it.
It is a nightmare.

Marmight Mon 20-Jun-16 18:10:28

After months of being offered an upgrade to W10 amd consistently refusing, I was in the middle of an important letter recently, when everything shut down and I was upgraded without a by your leave. Bloody cheek. Anyway, it's not as bad as I had feared and I suppose I will eventually get used to it.

grannylyn65 Mon 20-Jun-16 19:46:32

Not whilst there's breath in my decaying body!!!

GandTea Wed 22-Jun-16 08:46:14

Marmight. Go into Windows update settings and change from automatic to Notify to schedule restart.

Elegran Wed 29-Jun-16 11:01:20

Windows have had to change their automatic upgrade after complaints www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36657890

crun Wed 29-Jun-16 15:56:07

"Windows have had to change their automatic upgrade after complaints being sued." I had been feeling tempted to try reporting them for hacking.

GandTea Wed 03-Aug-16 21:49:43

I have just installed the Windows 10 anniversary update. This is a large update and does take a while (about an hour total).

No problems whatsoever, although I haven't explored all the new and changed features yet. Edge looks a lot better so far, and Sticky notes are back in a useful format.

GandTea Wed 03-Aug-16 22:21:45

The Google calendar now integrates well smile Reminders now pop up.

phoenix Wed 03-Aug-16 22:34:59

On our village message board Facebook page today, one desperate person who had updated and had all sorts of problems, not least losing her broadband!

Think I will stick with what I have.

GandTea Thu 04-Aug-16 04:13:06

This is an update to existing Windows 10 systems, not an update from previous versions. Free Windows 10 has now lapsed.

NfkDumpling Thu 04-Aug-16 06:00:45

Oh good, hopefully that means our old Windows 7 which DH uses is safe! My laptop still has problems - refusing to shut down and going into a loop if I forget and right click. I really must take it in to be fixed - again!

Coolgran65 Thu 04-Aug-16 06:53:23

Dss installed Windows 10 two weeks ago onto our 5 year old desktop.all would appear good. A few differences I.e. uploading photos is slightly different but I eventually got there.

No problems with on line banking etc it was all just the same.