Gransnet forums

Technology

Wondering about a robot vacuum.

(79 Posts)
NotSpaghetti Sun 10-Jan-21 15:53:49

Hi, I'm wondering about robot vacuums for the day-to-day crumbs.

I know they have come on leaps and bounds recently but would love to hear people's actual experience of them. I don't want a super-expensive one as can still use my existing cleaner (although it's too big and heavy to get out as often as I'd like).

mumpy71 Mon 11-Jan-21 10:59:26

I don't use my robot vac very often. I do use my robot mop a lot, it's brilliant.

crossgranny Mon 11-Jan-21 11:00:46

Fabulous bit of kit. Had mine for 3 years.
Best gadget ever. I use a hand held dyson for stairs and the odd crumbs otherwise Jeeves is set free to do his work. Mine is an old model Neato.

MissAdventure Mon 11-Jan-21 11:12:40

It was less than a couple of months ago, HannahLoisLuke, so that's gone up!!

MissAdventure Mon 11-Jan-21 11:17:14

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254829505433

£105 or best offer on Ebay.

GardenofEngland Mon 11-Jan-21 11:32:17

We were gifted one, it's an eufy and we do move our coffee tables and floor ornaments. She does get into a tis and circles around sometimes but I just give her a push with my foot. Does skirting boards really good. We call ours our femme de manage, after my friend in ?? cleaning lady!

kackie Mon 11-Jan-21 11:35:57

Couldn’t live without mine! Have had Neato for 6 months, a gift from my gadget mad eldest son. When I finish breakfast every morning Neato has hoovered and gone back to bed, totally unsupervised!!! Now what shall I do this morning?

JaneD666 Mon 11-Jan-21 11:42:23

I bought a top-of-the-range iRobot Roomba several years ago, and it was an expensive mistake. I don't know if they've got any better since, but it doesn't pick up pet hair, despite the claimed 10x extra suction. I still use it sometimes upstairs (like Mullah Nasrudin eating chillies he bought by mistake, because he's "eating his money"), but by the time I've cleared the floor first and afterwards emptied the Roomba (the bin is very small) and then cleaned it up every time, I think it would be easier to use a normal vacuum cleaner - which I can then also use to do edges, narrow bits the Roomba can't get into, cobwebs up high and the grooves in the secondary glazing. Every time I empty the Roomba, I brush the filter with a toothbrush, dust off the "bin full" sensors (as I had a lot of trouble with it not reporting when the bin was full - and don't get me started on why it even has an option you can select so it keeps vacuuming when the bin is full!) and take the rollers out and clean them. In fairness, I think our house (very large with lots of carpet and hairy residents) is just the wrong application for it. My asthmatic son had one in a flat with a fair amount of laminate floor, and he programmed the Roomba to vacuum while he was out at work and it was brilliant. But, cute though it is, it doesn't work for me. Perhaps my expectations were set too high by my robot lawnmower (a Husqvarna) which is absolutely brilliant and has been positively life-changing. Anyway, I bought a Sharp corded upright just before Christmas, to replace my 10-year-old Dyson, and so far I've been very pleased with it. But it's all horses for courses.

Psalmody Mon 11-Jan-21 11:48:02

We have a Roomba, love leaving it working while I take the dogs out. One of our pooches has been known to set it off .. she doesn't like it .. made me laugh though! Can't imagine life without it.

grandtanteJE65 Mon 11-Jan-21 11:50:00

Anyone with experience of robot vacuums in a house with cats?

My cat dislikes the hoover and I wonder whether he would attack a robot or run screaming away.

ss1024 Mon 11-Jan-21 12:51:04

One of the best house cleaning investments that I ever made! I have a Shark.

NotSpaghetti Mon 11-Jan-21 13:00:03

mumpy71

I don't use my robot vac very often. I do use my robot mop a lot, it's brilliant.

Oooh! Robot MOP! ???

jocork Mon 11-Jan-21 13:05:23

Robot lawnmower sounds fantastic! I was thinking as I read the thread that that's what I'd like, then JaneD666 mentioned hers.

I'd never have a robot vacuum though as my house is much too cluttered and as I live alone hoovering isn't too onerous. My ancient Dyson still does a reasonable job when i can be bothered. I do miss having a handheld for the stairs though. They don't often get cleaned as a result!

NotSpaghetti Mon 11-Jan-21 13:09:49

I think I'm pretty sold on this idea for the "easy but boring" stuff. Thank you everyone. And luckily JaneD666 I don't have dogs etc shedding and my carpet areas are berber type so on the flat side. I watched a video last year about the Husqvarna lawn mower... My father would really have loved that one!

I think I'll still need to get the "real" hoover out for the tricky areas and where I have lots of junk (!) - also, old house with lots of dust and cobwebs so for those too...

TwinLolly Mon 11-Jan-21 13:10:43

We have Roomba, model 965, vacuum robot. We find it delightful and call it 'Robo'.

We wish that we had got the upgraded version that sends itself to its cleaning station when full!

We sometimes switch it on remotely so that the floor is clean when we get home. We even use Google Assistant to get Robo going

We do take it upstairs to clean as well. There is a gadget that is positioned at the top of the stairs which gives a signal to let Robo know not to go there otherwise..... thud...

If we want a thorough clean we lift chairs or items out of the way.

Highly recommend one!

NotSpaghetti Mon 11-Jan-21 13:19:18

It seems there's lots to think about in terms of models.
I suppose they are all quite small capacity wise - but am pleased that most people only bother to move/block cables. I did think I'd have to lift all the dining chairs.

GoldenLady Mon 11-Jan-21 13:22:54

I've had one for a couple of years and love it. It does a perfectly adequate job of vacuuming, and is fun to watch, besides. Of course, it doesn't work on stairs and doesn't vacuum the cracks between the seats in the upholstery, so its uses are limited to one-level floors only.

4allweknow Mon 11-Jan-21 13:39:39

Found the comments interesting as I noticed adverts for robotic vacuums last week and I was intriqued. Not sure I would go for the leaving it to do its job unattended or at night leaving all room doors open. Old habits die hard and I close all doors as fire prevention measure. Going to do some research but as DH does the vacuuming this little gadget would put him out of his job!

Grandmanotnan Mon 11-Jan-21 13:41:08

We have a slate floor in the kitchen/living area , which is uneven how do robot vacuum cleaners do on this sort of floor,

micky987 Mon 11-Jan-21 13:47:33

My friend had one about 10 years ago. She programmed it to hoover downstairs when they were all in bed at night. One morning she came down and was horrified to find the dog had had diarrhoea, the robot swiped it across the whole of the newly tiled floor (a huge area of over 200m sq) then the under floor heating had come on and baked it all in. It took days of scrubbing and different products to clean all the white grouting !!!

Gwenisgreat1 Mon 11-Jan-21 14:31:33

Mine is a Roomba, my husband won it. Think it was at the cheaper end of the scale. I love it. It trundles around it has a brush which can reach into corners. I do try to clear the floors of leads (wires) but it can get quite hungry. It is capable of nudging doors open, so if you don't want it to do that room, shut the door!! It does a pretty decent job, but does need emptied after most cleaning spells.

Skweek1 Mon 11-Jan-21 14:59:52

I love gadgets of all kinds and I really want a robotic vacuum - possibly called Robbie, although that may be a bit predictable - at present I've got a top of the range Dyson, which is far too big for my house and I hate having to drag it out, mess around with electric plugs, various attachments etc; and I can't carry it upstairs, so the bedrooms and landing never get hoovered - well, that's my excuse.

LadyGracie Mon 11-Jan-21 15:07:24

I bought a Roomba a few months ago and love it, He vacuums 3 times a week and picks up everything, I wonder where all that fluff and dust comes from.
I have a gadget that stops it going near the cats water bowl.
The only room it doesn’t go in is the bathroom, it’s taken against the large bathmat in front of the whb, tries to eat it.

alice7soul Mon 11-Jan-21 15:58:58

My mother (85) who is not really into gadgets has one and loves it.

Notagranny44 Mon 11-Jan-21 16:07:19

grandtanteJE65 We have an Eufy and I love it. It's very quiet, and whereas our cat was terrified when our ordinary vacuum came out, he is quite happy to stay in the same room with the Eufy. He will sit on the back of a chair and watch it warily - just in case it does something unexpected, I think. I do a tiny bit of prep when I use it - pick up wires, make sure there is nothing trailing etc. but I love that I can set him off and let him get on with a job I used to find extremely painful and tiring, and that he can easily get under the wardrobes, beds and chests that otherwise would be difficult to do.

Lizbethann55 Mon 11-Jan-21 16:33:47

Wish this had been on here before Christmas!!??