Gransnet forums

Technology

Wondering about a robot vacuum.

(78 Posts)
NotSpaghetti Sun 10-Jan-21 15:53:49

Hi, I'm wondering about robot vacuums for the day-to-day crumbs.

I know they have come on leaps and bounds recently but would love to hear people's actual experience of them. I don't want a super-expensive one as can still use my existing cleaner (although it's too big and heavy to get out as often as I'd like).

MissAdventure Sun 10-Jan-21 16:24:56

I bought this one around 6 weeks ago, and I've been very pleased with it.

www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08747D12N/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_5MY-FbS6AKJ2R?psc=1&_encoding=UTF8&tag=gransnetforum-21

MissAdventure Sun 10-Jan-21 16:31:53

It's easy to work out, does a good job, and is robust.

I'm a terrible skinflint, so researched for a long time before deciding on this one.

It's right at the bottom end of the budget, but independent reviews, as well as the customer ones on Amazon it performs as well as the top range ones in most functions.

I've not had to use my proper vac since I bought it.
I paid £87 for it. smile

Cabbie21 Sun 10-Jan-21 16:48:11

I have often wondered how it gets into corners and hard to reach places.

sharon103 Sun 10-Jan-21 16:54:44

I was about to ask that Cabbie21.
Does it bump into the furniture and does it miss bits?

Pittcity Sun 10-Jan-21 16:55:21

Mine is a Eufy and I love him.
They have rotating brushes for corners and get under beds, sofas etc where I would never hoover.
I use a broom to knock dust from skirtings etc and set him loose. He has a remote and a timer so I don't have to get up or even be in to clean up....fantastic!
I have a hand held for the stairs.

Pittcity Sun 10-Jan-21 16:57:04

It has a bumper for the furniture. No damage done and a sensor so it doesn't fall downstairs.
It seems haphazard but it does clean everywhere.

MissAdventure Sun 10-Jan-21 16:59:06

It has just one rotating brush (well mine has) which sticks out a bit and goes right into the gap between skirting and floor and digs out all the grit and grot.

I'm amazed one brush can do that.

Cabbie21 Sun 10-Jan-21 18:17:43

That sounds amazing, but I guess it can’t reach into the gap between the bed and the bedside table? Or under the bed which is only an inch off the floor?

NotSpaghetti Sun 10-Jan-21 20:25:20

Thanks for the info MissAdventure - is your Eufy a newish one Pittcity?

NotSpaghetti Sun 10-Jan-21 20:39:30

Do they tend to get "stuck" in say, chair legs I wonder? Do you find you have to "organise" the room first?

Elegran Sun 10-Jan-21 21:03:21

It doesn't like rugs with fringes, NotSpaghetti - they catch and pull, and make the motor shriek. I solved this by removing the fringe on mine. No-one has ever noticed. If you leave a thin scarf trailing onto the floor where it can get tangled in it, the same happens.

It does like chair and tablelegs. Every time the robot bumps up against one it goes carefully right round it. The carpet is probably twice as clean around chairlegs. If I remember I upend dining chairs onto the table.

If you programme it to clean when you are not around (still in bed?) you need to leave the doors open in the rooms it is to clean. Wide open, not half shut. Mine pushed open a nearly closed door just enough to get in, then when it returned it bumped it closed from the other side. I found it sulking in a corner of the room when I eventually went in there. It had been unable to get out and back to its charging station, and had kept vacuuming until its battery ran down.

A plus - every time she was here, my teenage granddaughter begged to be allowed to get the Roomba to hoover the carpets.

Elegran Sun 10-Jan-21 21:08:01

Cabbie an inch is rather low. They are only a couple of inches high so they can vacuum under most beds and sofas, but I don't think they'd manage that. Have a look online at the spec - maybe some models are extra thin.

Pittcity Sun 10-Jan-21 21:19:31

I've had it about a year and paid about £120.

MissAdventure Sun 10-Jan-21 21:23:01

Mine is fine with my fringed carpet so far, and it manages to make it over some quite high thresholds between rooms.

As long as it has a fraction of space, it will manoeuvre itself our of tight gaps.

Charleygirl5 Sun 10-Jan-21 23:11:57

I have two bedroom rugs on laminate upstairs and the rug stops it so I have to be around to lift it on to the rug. Also every wire and cable has to be lifted or it will get entangled.

Mine cannot be programmed to stop it from committing suicide by falling downstairs. They are useful but I still need a cylinder. I would not like to rely on this one all of the time.

NotSpaghetti Mon 11-Jan-21 01:12:28

Thank you, this is really helpful.

MissAdventure Mon 11-Jan-21 01:16:48

I just put something in the way if I don't want my robot (her name is gloria) to go near wires.

I tend to shut her in one room that I've prepared, and let her wear herself out doing just that room.
Charge lasts a bit more than an hour, but the process is quite long winded.

Also, mine has never yet found the charger.

esgt1967 Mon 11-Jan-21 10:05:26

I bought one a couple of months ago to vacuum all round while I'm working from home. I loved it - it does vacuum in a strange way and sometimes I have to reset it as it finishes before everything is done but it's great to be able to set it up and just leave it.

Sadly my husband has not been able to work at various times due to lockdown so he is doing vacuuming at the moment so it isn't being used much but that will change when he eventually goes back to work!

HannahLoisLuke Mon 11-Jan-21 10:12:04

My daughter told me about her friends robot that switched itself on during the night and vacuumed up the dog's accident and spread it all over the ground floor ?
They had to have professional cleaners in and dump the robot which was unuseable, although I understand it still worked.
No help in your search OP but just a cautionary tale.

Helen657 Mon 11-Jan-21 10:18:48

I love my Eufy C30 (she’s called Dusty), she’s set to hoover 4 times a week at 8:30am, plus I set her off at other times as I don’t always remember to leave the downstairs doors open. She picks up dust/debris really well. She obviously can’t get at some parts of the floor (under low units etc) but neither can my old and extremely heavy Dyson which I now use rarely. She gets stuck on trailing wires so I’ve learnt to not leave any out. She also has an unfortunate habit of “humping” my kitchen barstools and needs rescuing as she (he?) can’t dismount by herself - lol. Seriously considering buying another cheaper version for upstairs. Current one is 2 years old and only time DH got away with buying me a hoover for Christmas!!

jaylucy Mon 11-Jan-21 10:47:02

We have one - DS won it from Amazon I think. Actually haven't used it for a while, but found that we could set it off while we went shopping but was just as entertaining to watch !
I thought it did a great job - we had a cat at the time and it picked up all the fluffy downy fur you don't see on your carpet and an added bonus was that it did an even better job on our kitchen floor as it got right up to the kick boards under the cupboards where my usual upright vacuum didn't fit.
Never managed to train the cat to have a ride on it though - as soon as it started off, she was up on the back of a chair or windowsill !

sundowngirl Mon 11-Jan-21 10:56:02

We love our Ecovacs Robotics N79S (we call him Beebop). I bought him in the black Friday sale on Amazon but he is £169 now
www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07F3Q25LJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?psc=1&tag=gransnetforum-21&ie=UTF8
Ours did start to auto clean at midnight every night (apparently a pre-programmed thing) but we cleared the memory easily by just holding down the program button for 3 seconds as advised by others on the Amazon site.
He is great on carpets or hard floors and it's amazing just how much dust etc he picks up. He has a sensor so doesn't fall down the stairs or bump into furniture. I do make sure there are no trailing wires but other than that he cleans everywhere without a problem. He can do just a room, edges or a spot clean if you have dropped something and he always manages to find his way back to the docking station as long as he is not locked in another room.
Just wish he did the stairs too but is not too much of a hardship.

HannahLoisLuke Mon 11-Jan-21 10:56:24

MissAdventure

It's easy to work out, does a good job, and is robust.

I'm a terrible skinflint, so researched for a long time before deciding on this one.

It's right at the bottom end of the budget, but independent reviews, as well as the customer ones on Amazon it performs as well as the top range ones in most functions.

I've not had to use my proper vac since I bought it.
I paid £87 for it. smile

Thanks Miss A.
Don’t know when you bought yours but cheapest on Amazon is now £140 so I’ll have to think again. Was considering it for going under the bed.

Alioop Mon 11-Jan-21 10:59:00

I would dread to think what my dog would think of one. She attacks my Dyson as I push it, teeth baring, in a real temper, it wouldn't stand a chance.