Gransnet forums

Technology

Any suggestions?

(29 Posts)
Luckygirl Thu 15-Jul-21 10:27:15

I have an Epson combined scanner/printer which is connected to the wi-fi. After my move I put in the wi-fi code and the printer is going fine - connects to the laptop and prints away merrily.

But the scanner aspect does not work - laptop tells me that there is no connection when I try and use it.

I am deeply puzzled as they are both part of the same unit.

All suggestions gratefully received!

Infinity2 Thu 15-Jul-21 11:17:19

I’m crap with technology Luckygirl but my niece always tells me if something glitches to uninstall it and start again.
Can you do that with the printer/ scanner ?
Presumably it’s loaded it’s own software when it’s connected via wi fi?
Otherwise try connecting it with an old fashioned cable and see if the scanner works then ?
Good luck ?

Tizliz Thu 15-Jul-21 14:37:05

My scanner only works if it connected via cable and controlled from pc not via the printer

Oopsadaisy1 Thu 15-Jul-21 16:47:41

My Epsons scanner only works if connected by cable to my PC too.

Missedout Thu 15-Jul-21 18:51:39

I've just checked mine. My Epson is wireless only. In order to scan, I use the native software on my computer (I searched for 'Scan'). I opened the Scanner app that was available on my desktop and selected my Epson printer model and then the 'Scan' tab. I was then able to scan a document/photo and send the scan to the computer's filing system.

If you think about it, scan is different to copying or printing because the printer 'needs' to know where the scan will be stored rather than just printing it, so this process has to be managed by the computer.

Tizliz Thu 15-Jul-21 22:15:45

Luckygirl - can I suggest a large glass of wine and an early night as you have not been having a good week

Luckygirl Thu 15-Jul-21 22:23:37

smile!

I have gone into the Epson scanner items in my laptop and none of these give the option to connect to the actual printer/scanner that I have - I have tried putting it in and this does nothing either.

Marydoll Thu 15-Jul-21 22:31:33

Luckygirl, a bit convoluted, but may help.

epson.com/faq/SPT_C11CB33201~faq-201436

Missedout Thu 15-Jul-21 23:30:51

Did you search for a scanner utility (nothing to do with Epson) on your computer? I found that when opening the utility built into my computer, the 'scan' option came up and I was asked if I wanted to use the Epson printer (your computer knows about your printer or else it wouldn't print). I found the Epson applications to be useless for scanning.

Luckygirl, what computer do you have and what operating system is it running?

GraceQuirrel Fri 16-Jul-21 10:50:38

Maybe???
apps.apple.com/gb/app/printer-app-print-scan-pdf/id1504437272

Pearlsaminger Fri 16-Jul-21 11:20:32

Have you tried scanning something?

Mine says exactly the same - but scans anyway ??‍♀️

Pearlsaminger Fri 16-Jul-21 11:33:51

Whoops… see you’ve already tried. ?

nipsmum Fri 16-Jul-21 11:40:21

Shout for my Son in law. He's my go to Tech person. Sorry that's not helping you.

rowyn Fri 16-Jul-21 11:57:10

Try searching on YouTube stating your problem. It's amazed me how many times it comes to my rescue! Don't be conned by anyone who wants you to pay for help though!!

grandtanteJE65 Fri 16-Jul-21 12:18:56

I have had the precise same problem previously with a HP printer.

Try reinstalling the printer program. I am not absolutely certain that this will solve your problem, but it worked for me.

Unfortunately the newest version of Microsoft word no longer has a scanning option that I can find, but if you download OpenOffice it does have one and it usually works.

Riggie Fri 16-Jul-21 12:19:38

It may be that your driver is corrupted or needs updating. Google for "Driver for ^printer make and model^", install that and see if it helps.

Buttonjugs Fri 16-Jul-21 13:35:36

I have an HP printer/scanner and use the app HP Smart. Does Epsom have a similar app perhaps?

Luckygirl Fri 16-Jul-21 13:58:11

Thanks for all these suggestions - I am working through them all - except the son in law option.

Marydoll Fri 16-Jul-21 14:08:19

Lucky, I know you have probably already uninstalled the printer software, but if you haven't try that and then reinstall using the Wifi option. That way you will have the latest drivers. It usually worked when I had the same problem with my school's hardware.

Notright Fri 16-Jul-21 15:03:29

Phone Epson, they are really helpful/

Kaggi60 Fri 16-Jul-21 15:58:18

You would have to reload printer driver on the Epson Web site with your code and down load the new driver. We have that one sometimes we have to download the new driver before it works.

oodles Fri 16-Jul-21 16:09:20

have a similar problem, with Epson all in one, and if all else fails I try and scan to email and email it to myself
It's always worse if you are desperate to use the machine, it seems to know, so approach it with an attitude of not panicking

Jeanieallergy21 Fri 16-Jul-21 17:30:56

What program are you using on your laptop when you try to scan?

RustyBear Fri 16-Jul-21 19:08:06

Missedout

I've just checked mine. My Epson is wireless only. In order to scan, I use the native software on my computer (I searched for 'Scan'). I opened the Scanner app that was available on my desktop and selected my Epson printer model and then the 'Scan' tab. I was then able to scan a document/photo and send the scan to the computer's filing system.

If you think about it, scan is different to copying or printing because the printer 'needs' to know where the scan will be stored rather than just printing it, so this process has to be managed by the computer.

Not really, @MissedOut - my Epson scanner works perfectly over Wi-fi using the Epson app. Your method is a work around, but it shouldn’t be needed.

Keffie12 Fri 16-Jul-21 22:25:04

Luckygirl

I have an Epson combined scanner/printer which is connected to the wi-fi. After my move I put in the wi-fi code and the printer is going fine - connects to the laptop and prints away merrily.

But the scanner aspect does not work - laptop tells me that there is no connection when I try and use it.

I am deeply puzzled as they are both part of the same unit.

All suggestions gratefully received!

Google the issue. If all else fails uninstall the printer from your pc/laptop and reinstall. Google will help with that too