Gransnet forums

Travel

Where in the world?

(81 Posts)
Imperfect27 Mon 09-Oct-17 19:58:52

If you could visit anywhere in the world (and you are allowed to fantasise about getting there in a blink of an eye), where would you go to and why?

I would like to go to Rome - but not in the heat of the summer. I would love to drink in the history, artwork and golden architecture, cast a coin in the Trevi fountain when all the tourist (except me!) have gone home, get neck ache looking at the Sistine chapel ceiling and dawdle across St Peter's square eating gelato ...

GrandmasueUK Tue 10-Oct-17 11:07:43

I was a nanny in Toronto for a year when I was 21 and went to Niagara Falls in three different seasons and each was spectacular.
I'd love to go across Canada on a train and see some of my friends who live there. We've been friends for over 40 years now and had children and now grandchildren at around the same time.
But I'd love to go to New Zealand as well - business class of course. Just need a lottery win!

knspol Tue 10-Oct-17 11:14:17

Bethlehem/Jerusalem/Pyramids - booked a cruise which included all three but had to cancel when DH was ill, unlikely to make it now.

Bluecat Tue 10-Oct-17 11:27:06

Wisconsin to visit my DD and her kids, though that's the only reason for going - I've never been very interested in the idea of visiting the USA. We did visit Canada, years ago, but I don't know how I'm going to cope with a long flight across the Atlantic these days.

I've been to Prague three times and would return in a heartbeat. Such a beautiful city. I'd also like to visit Vienna and Budapest. European cities interest me more than faraway exotic locations. (Also, I'm terrified of spiders, and I suspect that they'd be huge in tropical paradises....)

jane999 Tue 10-Oct-17 11:28:43

I would love a return visit to Alaska and a trip on the Rocky Mountaineer train. Most beautiful scenery and so peaceful.

radicalnan Tue 10-Oct-17 11:33:57

Fiji.....................

Nanny27 Tue 10-Oct-17 11:38:19

I would absolutely love to visit Alaska. In my dream I would stay a whole year so that I could experience all the seasons.

MissAdventure Tue 10-Oct-17 11:44:23

I'd love to see the northern lights.

GadaboutGran Tue 10-Oct-17 11:45:55

I always wanted to see where my Dad was born in a remote part of NW S Africa and where his father served invthe Cape Police and where he was killed & buried by CWGC in south (now) Namibia. No on from the family had been there and I never dreamed I would. But this summer we did for our 70th birthdays treat. We organised it on-line ourselves and I even drove a massive 4x4 for the first time (no other traffic helped). We even survived a virulent flu outbreak in one plave we stayed. It was more than I ever dreamed of and more than I dreamed we could do. Hasn't stopped the dreaming though. Other 2 places I want to visit are where a GGAunt was a missionaty teacher from 1895 in (now) Botswana and where First Fleeter Convict ancestors landed in Norfolk Island, a long way off NSW in 1788.

newnanny Tue 10-Oct-17 11:53:27

I would love to see the Boxing Day Ashes in Australia but would feel mean leaving 2 boys who are adults but still living at home to own devises over Christmas and they say they don't want to come. I will have to make do watching on TV again.

TellNo1Ok Tue 10-Oct-17 11:58:57

The Grand Canyon....we went on "Millennium Eve" and over night the snow started... we woke on New Years Day to 2 foot of snow and the "park" would be closed to all except 4 wheel drive vehicles... so we had to leave ... you literally could not see 3 foot in front of you...
The landscape was phenomenal, haunting, awe inspiring ... absolutely wonderful, in my mind forever ... and I'd love to just find my self on the "rim" without the hassle of the journey ...

Lilyflower Tue 10-Oct-17 12:01:32

Love Rome, Florence and Venice. Have been to the first two once and Venice twelve times now. Wish I was there now 'in the blink of an eye'. The weather, which is on my BBC 'Favourites', is perfect.

Irenelily Tue 10-Oct-17 12:06:39

I achieved my dream visit to Australia, a few years back, spending 7 weeks visiting family, friends and sightseeing. It lived up to expectation! Now I wish we had visited New Zealand too, awhile we were on the other side of the world. Never shall - as we are now in our eighties and husband is quite disabled, but heigh-ho, I’ve got happy memories!

Tessa101 Tue 10-Oct-17 12:06:48

Imperfect we’ve just come back from Rome... oh wow. It’s never been on my tick list but it was a surprise treat.
I’ve visited many places but this is truly beautiful, the buildings are breathtaking and wherever you are you are surrounded by so many stunning buildings and so much history.We stayed 5 minutes from Vatican so we were central to most places. We were there 5 days and saw Vatican and colleseum on guided tours. Trevi fountain, Spanish steps, Pantheon, River Of four fountains St. Peter’s square the list is endless because as you go for a wonder you come across another piece of history. And tucked in next to them are quant little coffee shops on cobbled streets just to add to the beauty. I definitely recommend a visit, yes it obviously is a tourist spot but it never ruined any of our ventures. Oh forgot to mention many hotels have roof top cafes and the views are spectacular. Oh yes to answer your post my place I’d like to see is Hawaii. And travel on orient express.

lefthanded Tue 10-Oct-17 12:14:04

When my wife was fitter, we travelled over most of Europe, and a few far-flung places as well. But the one city I yearn to return to is Madrid. For history, for art galleries, for cafe culture - Madrid beats all the other European capitol cities. Try it.

Imperfect27 Tue 10-Oct-17 12:17:20

Feel I have been taken around the world with all these replies!

DH's, children, LOVERS ...whoever you want can come with you by the by grin.

Tessa101 and others, I want to go to Rome more than ever now! Having recently left teaching, I am not tied to pricy school holiday booking times anymore so this is more of a possibility. But I have got to do update my passport first!

KatyK Tue 10-Oct-17 12:38:04

Oo yes whale watching would be wonderful.

Jane43 Tue 10-Oct-17 12:49:57

Another vote for New Zealand.

Christalbee Tue 10-Oct-17 12:56:39

Go to Rome if you can, it is magical, but go in the early Spring (avoiding Easter) or Autumn to avoid the crush. It is truly inspiring, but so is Vienna I think, which happens to be my very favourite city.

Coconut Tue 10-Oct-17 13:15:52

Glassortwo ! Do go to Bellagio, it’s just amazing, and Italy is my favourite place on earth. We stayed in Menagio, and had day trips on the water bus to all the villages, but Bellagio is def the best. My dream has always been the Carnival in Rio and now am retired, that’s where I am off to in February. I won’t be in a bikini these days with feathers in my hair, but I will be doing the salsa in style !!

Marmight Tue 10-Oct-17 14:08:53

I'd like to do the trans Siberian rail journey. I want to see Lake Baikal having read Consolations of the Forest by Sylvain Tesson.

Applegran Tue 10-Oct-17 14:26:34

How about the Galapagos Islands? DH and I were lucky enough to visit them a few years ago and absolutely loved it - birds and animals with no fear of humans, and beautiful sea and the islands themselves. I know it is now more full of visitors than when we visited, so not sure what it is like now. And though it is so near the equator, there are some times of year better than others - so if you plan to visit, check the likely weather in different seasons, especially for high winds. I'd cheerfully go back! But DH is not keen - there are so many other places to visit.And it tests your budget.

Cagsy Tue 10-Oct-17 14:37:33

We had our 'trip of a lifetime' 6 years ago when we went to Kenya, safaris on the wonderful Masai Mara, hot air balloon ride over it, champagne breakfast overlooking the hippos wallowing in the river. Followed by utter luxury on the coast and swimming in the Indian Ocean. We also loved the Amalfi coast and beautiful Positano, would like to go back and I also long to see Florence. We're hoping to go to Canada next year with one of my sisters and her DH on one of those glass topped trains through the Rockies. Just realising we're running short of time to fit some of these journeys in!!

grandMattie Tue 10-Oct-17 15:02:01

My journey of choice would be to "do" the Silk Road from start to finish - ideally on horseback. [i am terrified of horses!] But the idea of seeing places like Isfahan, and Tashkent thrills me.
DH wouldn't go anywhere like that, so unless he drops dead in the next few months, I am very unlike to go - anno domini and all that

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 10-Oct-17 15:43:43

I loved Paris but I wouldn't go there now. Maybe St Michel-en-Greve in Brittany - there's a lovely camp site atop the cliffs.
For some reason Finland has always fascinated me - the forests, lakes and mountains.

Sheilasue Tue 10-Oct-17 15:46:42

I went to Rome a few years ago with my d we went in October half term, I worked in a school then
It was lovely and warm and we did all the things you spoke about. Please go you will love it.
I would love to visit Florence next.