Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Cry

(116 Posts)
trisher Mon 01-Oct-18 11:06:22

Did anyone watch this? I only got half way through and had to turn it off. I didn't care what the story was. I didn't care about any of the characters. All I cared about was the poor baby who for the sake of filming seemed to be left to cry when it suited. I wanted his mum to pick him up and cuddle him. I wanted someone to take him away from all of them. I just couldn't stand it.

travelsafar Mon 15-Oct-18 08:44:59

Great TV on a Sunday night, well done the BBC can't wait for next weeks episode, so many twists and turns!!!

Brunette10 Mon 15-Oct-18 09:12:09

Good drama, quite a twist last night, although I did wonder why when we first saw her a Scottish court when the baby went missing/killed in Austrialia, it's beginning to make sense now. Looking forward to next Sunday.

merlotgran Mon 15-Oct-18 09:52:21

Whenever they have a scene in the mother's house I find myself distracted by her lovely garden. grin

humptydumpty Mon 15-Oct-18 10:38:01

Agree merlot - beautiful!

I was sorry that I anticipated halfway through the episode what the twist was!

lemongrove Mon 15-Oct-18 13:39:12

I think it’s an excellent drama, good acting, plot and dialogue.
Got used to the flipping about in time, so didn’t mind that, or the crying baby.

Bellanonna Sun 21-Oct-18 23:09:10

So Noah was under the floorboards (was he?)

merlotgran Sun 21-Oct-18 23:11:49

Loved all the twists and turns even though the flashbacks could be confusing.

cornergran Sun 21-Oct-18 23:36:03

I thought so bella, can’t be sure though hmm.

Polly48 Mon 22-Oct-18 06:49:28

After Noah “disappeared” there was a scene where Alistair was sitting in his car outside a building site.....

Jenna Coleman was superb in this I thought.

J52 Mon 22-Oct-18 07:16:37

Loved the twist in the last episode.

Bellanonna Mon 22-Oct-18 07:48:38

What did she undo on or near his car seat before the accident? I’m a bit hazy about that bit. What was the medicine that he added to the feed? Mistakenly?

Iam64 Mon 22-Oct-18 07:58:25

Bellanonna - she unclipped his seat belt so that when the car crashed, he died.
Whether he deliberately overdosed Noah with medicine, or was so tired he got confused wasn't made clear. He intentionally allowed the mother to believe she'd been responsible for Noah's death.
Great drama and Jenna Coleman can act can't she.

Bellanonna Mon 22-Oct-18 08:06:31

Thanks Iam64

Brunette10 Mon 22-Oct-18 08:30:31

I have to say I was a tad disappointed with ending. However thought the acting was very good and enjoy the whole drama, twists etc. She got home to be with her baby though which was lovely.

BlueBelle Mon 22-Oct-18 08:36:08

Ahh thanks Iam I was struggling with what she did just before the car crashed, makes sense now I also didn’t pick up on the floorboard bit (I m a rotten detective)
Thoroughly enjoyed it though and superb believable acting

Sparklefizz Mon 22-Oct-18 08:55:39

The book is better .... the TV series changed the plot as they often do. The book makes it all very clear.

Polly48 Mon 22-Oct-18 09:05:24

Sparklefizz how did the book end?

Sparklefizz Mon 22-Oct-18 09:21:30

Polly48 I don't want to say and spoil it for anyone who might read it.

GrandmaKT Mon 22-Oct-18 09:50:30

The medicine thing was that he mistakenly gave the baby the mother's anti depression medicine. That's why she asked him if he'd tasted it to check it was the right one. That they had two medicines in identical bottles with pippettes takes a bit of a stretch of imagination!

Sparklefizz Mon 22-Oct-18 09:55:41

GrandmaKT The mother had an ear infection and was taking antibiotics. They decanted the medicines at the airport because of security and had to go off and buy the acceptable plastic bottles to check in with. He gave the baby the antibiotic by mistake because he hadn't tasted it, and the baby was allergic to penicillin.

humptydumpty Mon 22-Oct-18 10:01:43

I wasam totally confused by the ending, which seems to completely contradict the rest of the story i.e. she wasn't in on it - what about the bit where he took her to 'where the baby was buried' - was that a set-up between them if she already knew??

merlotgran Mon 22-Oct-18 10:06:13

If the police were watching their every move, how on earth did he manage to bury the baby under the newbuild floorboards? Don't they have CCTV on building sites?

oldbatty Mon 22-Oct-18 10:32:09

Why didn't they just put a label on the bottles and why didn't they say "oh no the baby has died, tragic accident"

POGS Mon 22-Oct-18 10:44:38

I wasn't sure about The Cry to be honest after the 1st program but I am glad I kept going.

I honestly thought it was a good story and whilst I disliked the acting to start with I understood the reason for her aloofness by the second.

I thought it was a reasonably clever story and I was happy it was covered in 4 programs and not spun out to 6, just about right.

Sparklefizz Mon 22-Oct-18 10:49:00

oldbatty Labels on the bottles? Well, I suppose no one has labels to hand in an airport checkout queue, but bear in mind that the mother was totally exhausted because the baby never slept and her husband didn't help.

They should have said "Oh no, the baby has died" , as you say, but he was always thinking that it would go against him getting custody of his daughter Chloe. Plus they were in the middle of nowhere with bush fires raging and the baby was cold so had clearly been dead for a little while.