Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Cry

(116 Posts)
trisher Mon 01-Oct-18 11:06:22

Did anyone watch this? I only got half way through and had to turn it off. I didn't care what the story was. I didn't care about any of the characters. All I cared about was the poor baby who for the sake of filming seemed to be left to cry when it suited. I wanted his mum to pick him up and cuddle him. I wanted someone to take him away from all of them. I just couldn't stand it.

BlueBelle Tue 23-Oct-18 16:23:01

Still find it a bit of a fairy tale that he knew exactly which house and which room the baby was under etc but hey ho it’s fiction and it was good I ll miss it bu5 I think there’s a few more good ones coming up

Jalima1108 Tue 23-Oct-18 18:05:10

Regarding cash for flights, etc. she said she'd been left some money by her parents. She had a house of her own.
I think he probably earned a very good salary (before he was sacked) and she had a teacher's salary too - flights in economy would not be out of reach.
Although he did ask how he could pay the mortgage and bills at one point.

As for buying a house in Australia, perhaps he left the Glasgow house to her and she also had her own house to sell.

Sparklefizz you could post but put SPOILER ALERT on top of your post.

I kept trying to skim past this thread as I hadn't seen all the episodes, but inevitably I caught a glimpse of some posts.

Jane43 Tue 23-Oct-18 18:10:01

I have started the book and some of the questions on here have been answered already. I won’t say any more in case some people still haven’t seen all the episodes. It is a good read.

Sparklefizz Tue 23-Oct-18 18:57:00

Glad you're enjoying it Jane43

Jalima1108 Tue 23-Oct-18 19:31:48

Sorry, perhaps I should have put Spoiler Alert on my posts.

lemongrove Tue 23-Oct-18 20:50:56

Thought the last episode was too far fetched by half and spoilt the series.
In court, she looked as emotionless as a psychopath.
She would never have been in court in the first place, there could have been no charges!

Iam64 Tue 23-Oct-18 20:55:22

lemon, she was charged with murdering him (at least that's what I took from the trial). Presumably the SCO's and forensics would have confirmed she didn't skid off the road but drove off it.
I confess to having been rather pleased that his mother and ex wife suspected as much but supported her because they knew what a bar steward he was.
Anyway, I'm not sure I've watched any decent drama in recent times that hasn't been far fetched. Plus, if we watch the drama that is our Brexit process and then look across the water to the USA, how can we ever say anything other than "nah, can't believe it, its much too far fetched". smile

lemongrove Tue 23-Oct-18 21:00:45

Yes Iam I know, but there could have been no charges for murder or anything else as there was no evidence.
Easily written off as driving too fast and not paying enough attention to the road. Anyone can, in stress, then hit the wrong pedal.
I doubt there could even have been a manslaughter charge.

lemongrove Tue 23-Oct-18 21:02:25

Only a fiction of course, but I thought it a weak ending.

lemongrove Tue 23-Oct-18 21:03:19

.....and I can only think of her as Queen Victoria ?

Iam64 Wed 24-Oct-18 08:17:59

Nope, I've reached the conclusion Jenna is a good actor and I swiftly got beyond seeing her as Queen Victoria. She's tiny though, isn't she!
I'm also still relieved she 'got away with it' - shocking but I am.

Bellanonna Wed 24-Oct-18 08:55:30

It’s a bit tenuous. I know she undid his seatbelt but how could she know he would die and that she wouldn’t by driving off the edge of the road? She was risking serious injury to herself wasn’t she? Also puzzling is that he buried Noah before the houses were built and was (presumably) able to remember the exact spot when he took the photo.

Jalima1108 Wed 24-Oct-18 10:14:56

She was risking serious injury to herself wasn’t she?
I don't think she cared if she survived or not.

Perhaps the plots were numbered already, ours were.

Jalima1108 Wed 24-Oct-18 10:15:59

Presumably the SCO's and forensics would have confirmed she didn't skid off the road but drove off it.
They said at the trial that there were no skid marks.

Iam64 Thu 25-Oct-18 08:34:14

There wouldn't be skid marks given the fact it was a deliberate action. I agree with Jalima, at that stage, she didn't care whether she survived or not.