Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Archers Addicts.

(870 Posts)
merlotgran Mon 25-Mar-19 19:47:18

I'm starting this new thread as apparently our other one was over a year old!! shock

We'll have to do more gossiping to prevent this happening again.

Here's a link to the old one.

www.gransnet.com/forums/tv_radio_film_arts/1241862-The-Archers?msgid=27150464#27150464

merlotgran Sun 28-Jul-19 15:23:02

This storyline has a lot of possibilities. I do hope Ed can manage to turn the tables somehow.

I'm fed up with the constant 'doom and gloom for the Grundys' bandwagon.

lmm6 Sun 28-Jul-19 15:30:43

I haven't listened for over a year as I got fed up with Roy and some woman who was going back home to another country and then 2 men having a baby. Found it really boring. But after reading all your comments I must start listening again.

LullyDully Sun 28-Jul-19 16:19:25

I for one want to see some " happy ever after" for the Grundy family. Please not going back to Meadow Rise, I couldn't bear it. They work hard all of them.

I am never sure why Neil and Susan aren't prepared to help financially, as they are both in 'managerial' roles' and built their own house. They could spare a few thousand maybe.

I realise that Chris and Alice may be due less help since Jennifer and Brian have crashed and burned but they don't have any children yet.

I suppose they could try to get a job in Worcester, Redditch or Birmingham.

LullyDully Sun 28-Jul-19 16:21:22

P.S. I do know it's only a drama , but did Emma get any qualifications.?

Overthehills Sun 28-Jul-19 17:32:54

Oh no, poor Ed. I know it’s not real but I can’t help feeling sorry for poor Clarrie who works so hard for her family. And Joe will have to die sometime soon as well. And Emmer and her new coffee table. sad. And Keirer and her new bedroom. sad. Will it never end?

LullyDully Sun 28-Jul-19 19:17:04

Poor Emma .

Sara65 Sun 28-Jul-19 19:27:58

Well when you think about it, I don’t suppose the scriptwriters were ever going to let a Grundy have a happy ending, I like the Grundys ( except Will ) decent salt of the earth folks!

AyjayF Sun 28-Jul-19 19:59:52

I know Ed is right that the mortgage company should be told but I am so with Emma on this one. She simply cannot lose this house. ?

phoenix Tue 30-Jul-19 19:15:49

Sorry, this storyline with Emma, Ed and the new house doesn't ring true!

They have the mortgage in place, surely they don't have to provide proof of earnings at this stage?

Luckygirl Tue 30-Jul-19 19:53:23

Ed now becomes easy prey for Tim and his cronies.

merlotgran Tue 30-Jul-19 20:32:48

I suppose they may have to declare a change in circumstances but I think I'd keep schtum and get another job ASAP.

I'm wondering if we're all going to be kept on the edges of our seats until Joe dies and there will be a miraculous inheritance from an insurance policy he'd forgotten all about.

Emmur's behaviour is appalling.

Lazigirl Tue 30-Jul-19 20:39:45

It doesn't really fit with her character that Emma would go around begging for money. Too shameful. The mortgage company wouldn't know unless they couldn't meet their mortgage payments, surely that would be the time to ask parents with help to tide them over until Ed could get another job? If they lose this house they will have to rent, which isnt cheap anyway. Ah ha - or move in with Will grin

NotSpaghetti Wed 31-Jul-19 07:54:48

I don't want them to be homeless - but am concerned that Emma did know Ed was doing dodgy stuff and continued to push him in that direction.

As for Adam, I think Ed had to go - given this was exactly what poisoned the river in the first place. Brian was quite conciliatory in the end but I don't think Ed can go back there at the moment.

What I'm bothered about now is what will they do with the chemicals still in the pole barn? I don't think I've missed anything and they are still there?

Sara65 Wed 31-Jul-19 08:11:49

I missed a couple of episodes this week, so I’m not quite up to speed. Why would Emmer ask Jim for money? They aren’t even friends are they ?

Lazigirl Wed 31-Jul-19 13:01:35

Why indeed Sara65?

starbird Wed 31-Jul-19 13:36:14

I used to enjoy The Archers as an escape, accepting a certain amount of unhappiness and wrong doing (like Freddie deserving to be caught out) as part of life, but the story line about Emma and Ed has been unbelievable for a long time. I just don’t see how, even with all their several jobs (unskilled probably minimum wage) they would ever have got a mortgage for a new house, even if they took advantage of the government scheme to help with the deposit. It’s very understandable how Ed got involved with Tim’s scheme then couldn’t get out, but I find it totally depressing to think of yet another scam that our poor farmers are up against (even though it’s fiction no doubt it’s based on RL) - on top of competing against, in RL, cheaper imports, machinery theft, livestock theft/ disease and, as happened round here recently, cruel and senseless butchering of lambs. No wonder we are beginning to see fields of green turning into swathes of grey solar panels.

Franbern Wed 31-Jul-19 19:54:33

As they obviously have been given a mortgage, then they should just go along with it.. Provided they, somehow, manage to meet their monthly payment, the Mortgage company need never know that he is not in regular employment at present.
Eventually, when he gets another job, they just then need to inform the mortgage company - but do not think they will be particularly interested provided they receive the money each month.
I can remember,many years back, of something similar happening to me and my hubbie,- but he lost his job BEFORE the mortgage offer was made. I can really, even now - nearly 50 years later, remember my feelings of total desperation and asking people to help. In the end hubbie did get another job in time for us to make proper application, etc.
Do hope we get a happy ending for this

merlotgran Wed 31-Jul-19 20:07:26

Kate was horrible. She's not above a bit of scrounging herself.

Tracey was so right when she said the well off in Ambridge have either inherited money or married it and talking of money, why can't we hear a bit more about the Gills at Home Farm?

eGJ Thu 01-Aug-19 17:35:42

Good one Merlot Looked on TA website and no mention of them at all...…………………….and Jennifer's been a bit quiet recently too!!
Can anyone recall why the Grundys are leaving Grange Farm again? Is it that they can't afford the rent without Emma & Ed or is Oliver moving back in?

NfkDumpling Thu 01-Aug-19 18:13:43

Can we start a crowd fund for Emma and Ed to raise the money for them?

LullyDully Fri 02-Aug-19 19:17:20

No, horribly sad episode. .

LullyDully Fri 02-Aug-19 19:17:57

Will he kill himself and she get together with Will?

phoenix Fri 02-Aug-19 19:21:18

Oh I hope not Lully but it is all a bit grim, and Joe hasn't even died yet!

merlotgran Fri 02-Aug-19 19:35:04

I just can't feel sorry for Ed. He's a spineless t**t.

Nanoo15 Fri 02-Aug-19 20:16:27

Well maybe not so spineless Merlot, at least he has taken the initiative and ended their relationship. So sad but maybe Emma will realise she has lost a lot more than a house. Guess she could go back to Will .....