Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Archers Addicts.

(870 Posts)
merlotgran Mon 25-Mar-19 19:47:18

I'm starting this new thread as apparently our other one was over a year old!! shock

We'll have to do more gossiping to prevent this happening again.

Here's a link to the old one.

www.gransnet.com/forums/tv_radio_film_arts/1241862-The-Archers?msgid=27150464#27150464

merlotgran Mon 02-Sep-19 11:49:55

I don't like Peggy's so called sense of humour. She has a cruel streak IMO and likes to call her family to heel by making them aware of how much they want her money rely on her.

Kate is embarking on a new relationship. If Peggy was miffed about the 'carer' porkie she should have taken her to task in private.

I felt sorry for Kate. I wouldn't want to have to live with such a self centred old biddy but she doesn't seem to have much choice.

Maybe the Aldridges will eventually move into Grange Farm.

Lazigirl Mon 02-Sep-19 13:23:01

I agree Peggy is a control freak Merlot but Kate is not portrayed as a very sympathetic character either. She is self centred, and pursues her own activities with little regard for others, especially her own children, who were readily abandoned when it no longer suited her. I think she is a user and she and Peggy don't spoil one another.

LullyDully Mon 02-Sep-19 15:09:18

Jakob is surely on the autistic spectrum. I can't imagine he will put up with Kate for long , though she is on her best behaviour.

I am interested to see what will happen when Lexie comes back. Will she be able to hand the baby over, will Roy invite her back or will she go home?

LullyDully Mon 02-Sep-19 15:10:53

By the way, where is Roy? In the Ambridge cupboard with all the other missing characters

Daddima Mon 02-Sep-19 15:27:59

I am still horrified that when Tom & Kirsty were getting married she only gave them a set of wine glasses!

Iam64 Mon 02-Sep-19 18:52:58

One of my grandsons is diagnosed as on the ASD.He would probably meet the criteria for Aspergers. I remains unconvinced that Jakob is within a mile of such a diagnosis.

merlotgran Mon 02-Sep-19 22:49:06

How long before David and Ruth discover the re-wilding plans for Hollowtree?

It's the only bit of land (one field?) that Rex already rents so who else is going to contribute?

A daft idea if ever there was one but Phoebe now has a reason to stay in Ambridge.

Is she living with Roy? I can't remember.

LullyDully Tue 03-Sep-19 07:50:52

I will have to Google rewilding, I am not sure what it entails. It must be good to win all that money!! Still like the idea of an orchard village.

Ambridge doesn't seem to be hit by the massive building around every other village. There is only the two small new estates as far as I can see. No Taylor Whimpey to contend with as yet.

merlotgran Tue 03-Sep-19 10:28:41

www.rewildingbritain.org.uk/rewilding/rewilding-projects/knepp-estate

I think they've a long way to go. grin

Most rewilding projects are as a result of farmland being unproductive and uneconomical to run. Are there any farms in Ambridge that fit this description and would the owners be willing to let or sell the land?

Lower Loxley might be a good bet though. We haven't heard how their finances are going now and David, in his infinite wisdom, has set up a rival wedding venue business hmm

I just don't see the three amigos having enough knowledge and experience to carry it off though.

Lazigirl Tue 03-Sep-19 10:47:41

I have read your link Merlot and whilst rewilding is very innovative, and in tune with present eco thinking it seems quite an idealistic idea for somewhere like fictional Ambridge. It appears to be a long term project covering large areas of, as you have said, unproductive farmland. What do farmers live on in the meantime I wonder, but an interesting topic for TA to introduce. Has anyone heard of Robert Harris' new book which seems to be set in a future where our present destructive civilisation is a thing of the past?

phoenix Tue 03-Sep-19 19:22:17

Well! I think this evening's episode is definitely a contender for the "most double negatives in one episode" award!

merlotgran Wed 04-Sep-19 20:43:37

Well done, Ruth but how long before David gives in?

AyjayF Thu 05-Sep-19 06:55:03

Go Ruth!!
Rewilding might be great for the planet but how did this daft bunch get their half-baked idea through?

LullyDully Thu 05-Sep-19 07:42:56

Looks like a non starter for the three. Pip is the only one with any practical experience. No land, no money so what will happen now?
Rex has little farming experience and Phoebe hasn't been brought up in a farm. Perhaps her mother will help out.

The rewilding I saw on the TV was run by an experienced farmer with money, stock and plenty of land. It was very impressive.

I can't think why the judges didn't choose a more practical idea. I suppose it makes for better radio.

I have heard it is only a drama but I think this is a conspiracy theory.

merlotgran Thu 05-Sep-19 09:15:53

Many farms are already rewilding small strips of land around their farms for the benefit of wildlife. Unploughed headlands, small copses, shelter belts of trees etc., etc.

When whole fields were left unploughed in the eighties and nineties it was called Set Aside and was put in place to avoid the over production of wheat.

This is all that Pip could hope to achieve at Brookfield because they're a profitable farm. I don't think any of them have the slightest idea and how or why the judges chose them is beyond belief.

Maybe Peggy wants to hang on to the dosh after all so chose the project most likely to fail.

Adam's soil academy and aquaponics would have got my vote.

merlotgran Tue 10-Sep-19 19:38:12

Loved Tracey's 'Sprog Watch!' for maternity leave. grin Jennifer would not approve.

Hope Freddie gets the job.

phoenix Wed 11-Sep-19 11:36:06

Another great example of the Snell Sniff last night! grin

mumofmadboys Tue 17-Sep-19 23:55:46

What has happened to Russ? Are Lily and him still together?

merlotgran Wed 18-Sep-19 09:01:22

I was wondering about Russ and Lily's obviously not going back to uni. She would have had to go up to Manchester to sort out accommodation and there's been no mention of that.

I'm also puzzled about the deposit money that Ed and Emma saved for the house that didn't happen. They didn't actually pay the deposit did they?

merlotgran Wed 18-Sep-19 09:20:54

Nice one, Kate! What better way to stick one on bossy old Peggy than force her to spend an evening with Joy Whatsername. grin

LondonGranny Wed 18-Sep-19 15:26:23

I'd been an Archers listener since God was in short trousers but I stopped listening during the Helen & Rob storyline. Too much like my first marriage (although thankfully in my case without the complication of a baby). I think it was great they did it and as usual a slowly building storyline rather than flash bang short sensational storyline but still too much for me to cope with. Perhaps I'll wean myself back slowly.

AyjayF Fri 20-Sep-19 12:11:48

You are going to be a snitch Freddy? Did you learn nothing in prison????

phoenix Tue 24-Sep-19 19:05:44

Oooh, nasty, interfering Jennifer last night!

mcem Tue 24-Sep-19 19:18:24

Overbearing woman but so sure she's right! If she started a GN thread about being excluded I wonder how much sympathy she'd get!

phoenix Thu 26-Sep-19 22:36:05

Rather telling, that throwaway remark of Adams "Oh that was mum on the phone again"

(bold type mine, to emphasise, not Adam stressing the word!)