Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Poliakoff

(81 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Sat 18-May-19 19:31:02

Starts Wednesday. Summer of Rockets.

I love his stuff.

Happiyogi Sun 02-Jun-19 10:54:25

I somehow ended up watching the last episode last night, despite my best intentions to watch the series s l o w l y. And now it's over!

Thanks again for the recommendation on here.

Jane10 Sun 02-Jun-19 12:31:59

Me too Happiyogi. I wondered how on earth it would all come together but it did. Not that I was bothered I was just enjoying it all as it went along.
Wish there was more of this sort of drama on the Beeb. Beautifully done and no adverts.

MawBroonsback Sun 02-Jun-19 12:36:15

I do find it hard to believe how Timothy Spall has lost so much weight.
His whole face and manner seem almost unrecognisable.
I have read that it is not due to illness, which is great, but also that he was diagnosed maybe 20 years ago with Acute Myeloid Leukaemia.
Sadly my sister in law died early this year just 6 months after her diagnosis of AML

Callistemon Sun 02-Jun-19 13:01:12

I have recorded these so perhaps I shouldn't have read this thread!

trisher yes, I thought furs went into cold storage in the summer months

katie1 I do remember the fashions then, far more elegant than nowadays but probably uncomfortable as women wore corsets.
In fact, living through the Cold War era was, at times, rather nerve-wracking and not always lovely with the threat of nuclear war always casting a dark shadow.
However, on the whole 'we'd never had it so good' ( apparently)

lemongrove Sun 02-Jun-19 14:46:12

Both men and women ( of all social classes) seemed to wear more clothes than now! Even at the seaside.
Hats were worn at virtually all times, and gloves too.
Women seemed to have a better shape and posture, and that was probably due to corsets.
People were (mainly) slimmer too.
My Mother had a mink coat kept in the wardrobe, from her first marriage ( one with more money!) but never wore it that I can remember anyway.
All the adults I knew were very polite to each other and always called neighbours Mrs So and So rather than use first names.Apart from family, I never knew my neighbours first names or the parents of my friends either.It was a more buttoned up age ( in every way) some of which was good and others not so good.

Jane10 Sun 02-Jun-19 15:07:30

Timothy Spall has always been a favourite of ours. He was good in this. So smarmily sinister.
He doesn't look well though. I hope he stays in really good health despite previous nasty illness.

MawBroonsback Sun 02-Jun-19 15:12:29

It does look as if furs were not entirely packed away before Royal Ascot.
I have read though that pale coloured furs as well as stoles and jackets were considered more suitable for summer.
Anyway I found these pics of the Royals - who I assume would have been the ultimate arbiters of what was correct!

MawBroonsback Sun 02-Jun-19 15:14:11

PS what on earth does Princess Margaret have on her head? gringrin

merlotgran Sun 02-Jun-19 15:37:56

Princess Margaret must have been rummaging in the dressing up box.

A nurse's cap and a shower cap were all she could find.

MawBroonsback Sun 02-Jun-19 15:43:11

grin
Maybe a Pixie hood nicked from Andy Pandy?

Jane10 Sun 02-Jun-19 17:02:11

Wearing it for a bet? Maybe her and the Queen Mother did daft bets for a laugh to get them through boring events? A family practice that's carried through to Eugenie and Beatrice. Remember their hats at William's wedding?!

trisher Sun 02-Jun-19 21:23:05

I think furs were definitely needed in those open carriages but removed at the races, sometimes carried gracefully draped over one arm. But they were stoles and boleros not coats.

Overthehills Sun 02-Jun-19 21:30:29

I’ve only watched one episode of this but but absolutely loved it and the acting is superb. That’s a lovely memory Trisher, I can remember a beautiful navy “costume” my mother had in the late fifties, she was so elegant always but, looking back at photos, although she always bought a size 12 I’m sure she was nearer an 8 in today’s sizing.

Grannyknot Fri 07-Jun-19 20:10:18

Husband is away so my knitting and I have just finished binge watching this. What a superb series. Loved it.

What a cast!

Labaik Fri 07-Jun-19 21:36:24

Yes; I've binge watched it also; was Mary played by Claire Bloom? I kept thinking what a beautiful face she had and then I saw Claire Bloome's name on the credits but didn't catch who she'd played. I loved that pink coat....

Gonegirl Fri 07-Jun-19 21:57:30

I don't understand about Anthony/David.

Not sure I understand much about any of it tbh.

Nice to watch though.

Labaik Fri 07-Jun-19 22:08:16

No; a lot of it didn't make sense, did it....still loved it, though. Thought the little boy was adorable. Probably need to rewatch it to look out for clued [but then again I've got Years and Years to watch, along with The Virtues and Killing Eve is starting tomorrow. So many box sets..so little time...[sigh]..]

Jane10 Sat 08-Jun-19 08:10:52

Yes that little boy was just adorable! Sweet wee thing. Fancy sending him away to boarding school. Different times. Mum's must have suffered agonies though.

trisher Sat 08-Jun-19 15:17:33

Loved it. Sure there were some inexplicable things but you simply went along with it. Brilliant acting .Thought Mark Bonnar was scary and totally unlike his Shetland character.

seacliff Sun 09-Jun-19 08:18:41

I loved this, thanks for the recommendation Whitewave. I would never have seen it otherwise. Love Gransnet for finding interesting programmes. I will now watch his other works.

As well as the beauty of the production, it was interesting to feel the mood of the British at that particular time. And I read that that link that the little boy was based on Poliakoffs' own experiences at school, but he toned it down a bit for the programme. Very barbaric, sending such young children away to who knows what treatment.

TerriBull Wed 12-Jun-19 22:29:09

Thought it was good tonight, very atmospheric. Poor little Sascha sad I'm really only following this and Years and Years.

TerriBull Wed 12-Jun-19 22:29:39

Oh and Killing Eve of course.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 12-Jun-19 22:35:24

It is cruel sending children away so young. A neighbour sent her boys away from about 7 or 8 I was horrified.

merlotgran Thu 20-Jun-19 10:10:15

Drat! I thought I'd solved it last night when the passing train caused the knobs at the bottom of the bed to shake so violently I thought, One of them is going to fall off and there will be a rolled up message from Anthony inside!

Wrong again! grin

Poor Kathleen seems to be losing it.

Do we trust the private detective?

Has Petrukhin's wife got something to do with it all? It's often the quiet ones. grin

merlotgran Wed 26-Jun-19 23:30:27

I was wrong on all the above points grin

I did like the twist about who was responsible for the Pythonesque comedy programme.

Glad Kathleen got her happy ending.