Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Return of Strictly.

(560 Posts)
Calendargirl Sun 08-Sep-19 07:52:03

Started this thread as a diversion from all the political ones.
Only watched the first half hour as I wasn’t that bothered who was partnered with who really. Find the launch show a bit drawn out TBH.
Realised I only knew 5 of the 15 contestants, but that will change as the weeks go on.
Liked Tess’s gown, thought Claudia’s outfit looked similar to the PVC macs we wore in the early 70’s.

Shazmo24 Sun 08-Sep-19 11:04:07

The BBC have announced that Kelvin Fletcher from Emmerdale will be taking Jamie's place and partnering Oti Think that partnership will be great !

grannybuy Sun 08-Sep-19 11:08:35

DS and I always watch Strictly, complete with a Magnum in hand. We were really disappointed at Jamie not being able to continue. DS has Downs Syndrome, and can be quite witty. When I said that Oti would need a new partner, he announced, ' I'm right here '. He and Oti would be highly entertaining!

ninathenana Sun 08-Sep-19 11:12:49

Calendargirl I wouldn't have known the name Kelvin Fletcher but I do know his character Andy Sugden

Aepgirl Sun 08-Sep-19 11:13:24

I have always been (and will probably continue to be) a fan of SCD, but the screeching and cheering of the audience at every lift and spin is worse than ever.

jeberdes83 Sun 08-Sep-19 11:16:33

Don't watch, can't stand the shrieking studio audience.

Craftycat Sun 08-Sep-19 11:19:44

I love SCD but who the heck are those 'celebrities'?? I only knew 4- maybe 5 by sight. Whoever thought that unknown American woman was a good idea needs to get the sack!
I think this trend of getting Bloggers etc. is to try & get younger generation interested but they are all out on a Saturday night anyway.
Rylan very bad choice for Takes Two although he is a really nice chap ( lives next door to my DiL's father)
DH will be in the study on Saturday evenings watching his TV for the next 12 weeks.

Jane10 Sun 08-Sep-19 11:25:26

I do like Rylan but probably for all the wrong reasons!

jenni123 Sun 08-Sep-19 11:26:47

Never watch it, I used to love Dancing on Ice, now that one I never wanted to miss.

grannyscott Sun 08-Sep-19 11:28:50

Oh I usually love Strictly but maybe we need a break from it’s predictability. Launch show was tedious with celebrities only the young and tech savvy ones know. The judges should not dance! It was like “dad dancing” and professionally embarrassing. You don’t have to be able to do it anymore to be able to judge it. The partnerships were so predictable by punishing the ones who embarrassed the show last year - even Kevin and rewarding those who towed the line. They need a couple of years break before re launching with something new and refreshing. I always believe a show has reached its end when those presenting, judging etc. Have more fun than the viewers.

4allweknow Sun 08-Sep-19 11:34:07

Find the first show tedious and Tess and Claudia are definitely beginning to irritate, they are so 'plastic' to look and listen to. Did like Tess' dress apart from the cut off leg. What was the point!

TashHag Sun 08-Sep-19 11:34:31

I like Neil Jones (apart from the visible tattoos, which I just don’t like on anyone generally) and very glad he’s finally been given a partner.... the football girl who’s definitely one to watch.

Launch show was OTT and overlong as usual, but what does it matter; Strictly’s back! (Well almost)

TrendyNannie6 Sun 08-Sep-19 11:36:58

Ooh love strictly although only recognised 9 of the celebrities, I did think the launch show went on a bit, shame we have to wait two weeks before the next one, but really looking forward to it and backing Chris Ramsey and Catherine Tyldesley,Claudias outfit reminded me of Britney Spears one, love to take the scissors to that fringe of hers but that’s another story haha

annifrance Sun 08-Sep-19 11:39:57

I didn't see the programme, but will watch the series. I am routing for WILL BAILLIE. He's the Paralympic table tennis champion. I knew him as a little boy as his lovely family live in our English village. I really, really hope he does well. He deserves to, and his mum will be so excited.

BlueBelle Sun 08-Sep-19 11:45:32

Why are there three threads about Strictly I m getting very muddled
return of strictly with 37 comments
Strictly come dancing with 50 comments
And now this one
Well I ll repeat what I said on one of the other threads
I find all the hysterical screaming the mocked joy the complete fakeness of it all increases year on
No I don’t watch it but every now and then if your waiting for another programme or accidentally scan over you do see parts I did watch in the early days but I think it’s become a complete caricature of itself it’s as fake as Katie Prices face now

squirrel5 Sun 08-Sep-19 11:47:46

Best thing about "launch night"was Kylie?

tiggers Sun 08-Sep-19 11:50:50

The launch show is always OTT (so, why oh why do I still watch it every year?)

Same reason I wait in anticipation every year for my free tickets to be in the audience to arrive I guess - which they never do!

Habit - one I definitely cannot break.

So to all other addicts - Keeeeep dancing!!!!

Marilla Sun 08-Sep-19 11:53:56

I agree with many of you. I enjoy the dancing, but for me it is spoiled by the endless shrieking by the audience. I’m also a bit tired of hearing the word ‘journey’. Surely winning an Olympic gold medal or playing for England is more of journey and life changing achievement than learning the cha cha!
I usually record the programme and skip through all the guff.

petra Sun 08-Sep-19 12:00:31

Craftycat
Younger people won't be going out at the time strictly is on, far too early.

Calendargirl Sun 08-Sep-19 12:02:32

Sorry Bluebelle to have started another Strictly thread. I should have looked back and tacked on to an old one, but TBH this morning I counted about eight threads all on a variation of you-know-what, and I just felt s.. it, I am going to post something frivolous and gossipy and light hearted!
?

pamdixon Sun 08-Sep-19 12:06:32

was totally OTT and went on for too long - but watched it nevertheless!! Am I the only one who thinks most of the men had the same hair cut (if you can call it that). Not a very flattering one either!

Pagzy Sun 08-Sep-19 12:24:07

Ryan and Zoe will be sharing Take 2 .I think they each present 2 days separately and then together on Friday.

CarlyD7 Sun 08-Sep-19 12:42:35

SCD always signals the beginning of Autumn for me and really brightens up the gloomy months ahead. love it. Glitterballs are Go !!

Lyndawads Sun 08-Sep-19 12:45:33

I'm a bit taken aback as to why Neil Jones has suddenly been catapulted into the limelight! He's a bit of a strange one! Everything about him seems forced or contrived- maybe it's just me?

bluejay29 Sun 08-Sep-19 13:05:08

Didn't watch some of the launch, felt they were throwing everything into the mix (too much) for the first programme. I watched the "partnering" at the end .. no favourite yet. I'll give it another look when it starts properly.

b1zzle Sun 08-Sep-19 13:08:03

Only watched SCD launch show because BGT on the other side is awful - like Eurovision, only worse. And anyway, I wanted to see Kevin. Loved his dance with Stacey. It all felt rather 'out of season' with the glitter, and I couldn't stand all the shrieking when pro met contestant, but I suppose habit will probably make me continue to watch it all. Again.