Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Downton Abbey - the film

(62 Posts)
MawB Sun 15-Sep-19 17:20:23

What a lovely feel-good film this is! I heartily recommend it and would even suggest it should be available on the NHS!
As an added bonus I met up with Bluesapphire who was there too and we agreed it is a lovely film.
My neighbour did have to pass me a tissue at one point as 3 of us sat in a row having a little teary moment!
Do go and see it!

TerriBull Sun 15-Sep-19 17:39:02

I really liked "Downton Abbey" on tv, I suppose it's synonymous with small screen for me. I have to really, really want to see a film these days to go to the cinema. Last one I saw was "Once upon a time in Hollywood" and the next one will be "The Goldfinch" because I loved the book.

Would definitely put the "Downton Abbey" film on my list from my through the post dvd club once it goes to DVD, I do miss it not being on, it was part of Sunday evenings for me.

Doodledog Sun 15-Sep-19 17:48:38

I saw it yesterday, and I loved it too.

It was a bit too long, and the production was obviously different as it was a film rather than TV; but there was a lot going on to keep interest, and the costumes and settings were gorgeous.

TerriBull It was definitely left open for another series on TV smile

TerriBull Sun 15-Sep-19 18:11:29

That would be good Doodledog, apropos of the film maybe it will return. There's the 1930s, plenty happening then!

Harris27 Sun 15-Sep-19 20:46:18

Going Tuesday with my sister can’t wait!

allsortsofbags Sun 15-Sep-19 20:48:27

Sis and I are going Tuesday, can't wait :-)

grannyqueenie Sun 15-Sep-19 20:52:34

Went to see it last night and loved it. Clearly everyone else in the cinema felt the same as it was punctuated with bursts of laughter, a few sniffles then a spontaneous round of applause as the credits came up!

lemongrove Sun 15-Sep-19 20:56:45

Am going to see it this weekend, ( thanks for not doing any spoilers) smile

Jane10 Sun 15-Sep-19 20:58:51

Sounds lovely. Can't wait to see it!

BlueSapphire Sun 15-Sep-19 21:06:14

I loved it and it was lovely to meet up with MawB yet again. (The last time was at the ballet). I can tell you that Maw looks very well, if she doesn't mind me saying, and she enjoyed her holiday very much. And I felt quite teary at the end as well, and found myself thinking that the last time I watched Downton was at home with late DH..... I can thoroughly recommend the film. (Going to see The Goldfinch in a couple of weeks).

Shirleyw Mon 16-Sep-19 16:08:58

Im off to see it tomorrow, really looking forward to it.

Jane43 Mon 16-Sep-19 23:01:28

I’m also going to see it tomorrow.

RatherBeActive Tue 17-Sep-19 02:09:52

This is good to read, I am looking forward to it coming out to watch at home.

Marelli Tue 17-Sep-19 05:12:24

Really enjoyed Downton Abbey yesterday. Quite a few really funny as well as heart-warming bits in it.
Our book group will be going to see The Goldfinch in a couple of weeks. We read the book a few months ago and it'll be interesting to see how the film goes.

NotAGran55 Tue 17-Sep-19 07:25:10

Loved it. It was like catching up with old friends .

Littleannie Tue 17-Sep-19 16:01:45

I have just come home from watching it. It is absolutely lovely, I thoroughly recommend it.

Blinko Tue 17-Sep-19 16:04:39

We're going next week. Can't wait!

TwiceAsNice Tue 17-Sep-19 16:06:56

I am seeing it tomorrow with both my daughters. SIL is looking after the grandchildren and will do bedtime so we plan to have something to eat as well and make an evening of it.

glammanana Tue 17-Sep-19 16:20:23

I took myself of to watch it on Friday 13th the day of release and also my birthday it was the afternoon showing so not too busy I had a row to myself so no noisy sweet wrappers or people chattering.
I enjoyed it.

lemongrove Tue 17-Sep-19 17:19:49

We saw it this afternoon, and yes I liked it too, but not as much as the series of course.Beautifully shot, the landscape, and the interior lamp and candle lit scenes, gorgeous costumes etc.
I think you need to be a fan though ( I am) and it helps to know the back stories of all the characters.
I live near Bampton ( fictional Downton village) so it’s nice to spot houses and so on ( although Lacock in Wiltshire is used for the wide street scene.)
I did wonder if the film was the herald for a new series?

TwiceAsNice Tue 17-Sep-19 17:26:23

Would love a new series adored or on television

GrannyGravy13 Thu 19-Sep-19 08:46:56

Went to see it yesterday with Mr.Gravy, I left the cinema wrapped in a warm glow with a smile on my face.

I am a massive Downton fan, the series was just so comforting, good Sunday night viewing.

I agree the door is left open for another film.

Greyduster Fri 20-Sep-19 19:04:18

I agree with Lemon - you need to be a fan, to look beyond the ludicrous plot lines and just revel in the gloriousness of it! Two hours well spent. My viewing was somewhat spoiled by the man next to me rustling a sweet packet. I told him if he didn’t stop, I would give him a good kicking when we got home!?

NanaandGrampy Fri 20-Sep-19 20:49:34

I loved it.

Without having seen the series I think it would have been a little weak but having enjoyed the series I enjoyed it .

I think it’s even open for another one , although I read somewhere that getting them all together had proved so difficult it’s unlikely there would be another !

Harris27 Fri 20-Sep-19 20:54:28

I loved it and after a few harrowing weeks this film did me the world of good x