Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Long Call and Shetland.

(135 Posts)
Calendargirl Sat 30-Oct-21 11:13:11

Haven’t seen any posts about either of these since they aired.

Gave up on TLC after two episodes, have read the book but found it rather dreary, couldn’t remember the outcome and didn’t really care. Matthew Venn is no Jimmy Perez, but Jimmy looks a bit jowly and could do with a shave. I know he has a lot on his plate though, with murders, bereavement and a dad with dementia.

annodomini Thu 25-Nov-21 09:21:03

I think the story line about Jimmy's father was an unnecessary distraction. Is that destined to be a major part of the next season?
I've never thought of Dougie Henshall as my idea of Perez which is probably an effect of having been a fan of the books. His acting too often seems to consist of a rather blank stare and as a person, he is depicted as becoming increasingly unattractive.

Calistemon Thu 25-Nov-21 17:38:16

so is that rather drippy computer bloke her husband ?

That was a disappointment too; I was hoping he was going to turn out to be the whistleblower, trying to put the blame on Sandy!

Well, with Sandy possibly in trouble for going the the press (I think), Tosh pregnant, Duncan and Jimmy arrested and in a cell, the next series doesn't sound as if it will be very inspiring, does it!

Sarnia Sat 27-Nov-21 10:07:43

Curlywhirly

I enjoyed it - but contrary to most people on this thread I think Dougie Henshall (Perez) is not a very good actor; I think he's quite 'wooden' and not very convincing. Sorry to all those Dougie fans on here!

I have to agree with you. He was one-dimensional in this latest series, I thought. I don't know if that's how he's been told to portray Perez or his normal acting style. I can't remember seeing him in anything else to compare.

Ilovecheese Sat 27-Nov-21 12:01:16

I really enjoyed it.
Brilliant piece of acting when Tosh saw the result of her pregnancy test.

MaggieTulliver Sat 27-Nov-21 13:23:55

I love Tosh’s facial expressions! Gutted for Duncan and Jimmy - Donna must have been so twisted and bitter to choose to die prematurely to try and ruin their lives. I do like the story line about Jimmy’s
father and think it adds to his characterisation. Also a poignant depiction of dementia. Cant’t wait until series 7.

Amberone Sat 27-Nov-21 16:03:30

I don’t know who killed Sally, but Donna killed Lizzie because she was afraid she would tell her abusive husband about her affair with Duncan.

Sally was killed by her father, the detective who had protected Lizzie from being arrested by jailing an innocent man, Thomas Mallone (Series 4 I think). Sally had discovered the truth and told her father she would go to the police. He strangled her with a scarf to throw suspicion back onto Mallone, who had just been released from prison.

Atqui Sat 27-Nov-21 20:24:39

Presume you meant protecting Donna * Amberlone*

Allsorts Sat 27-Nov-21 22:08:44

Shetland good but Tosh is very over the top with her expressions, it’s funny when it shouldn’t be.

Calistemon Sat 27-Nov-21 22:16:16

She does gurn, doesn't she, Allsorts

We've got expressionless Jimmy, gurning Tosh, bemused Duncan, quietly smirking Maggie.

My money's on Sandy taking charge.