Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Our House - Drama alert! Adapted from the Louise Candlish book ITV drama starting tomorrow 7th March

(123 Posts)
TerriBull Sun 06-Mar-22 12:35:19

Fans of Louise Candlish, I'm one, may be interested to know that her novel "Our House" has been dramatised and starts tomorrow at 9pm. Starring Martin Compston and Tuppence Middleton.

I hope the programme will be as good as the book. For anyone who hasn't read it, the premise, inspired by a real case, is when a couple find that their house, they have bought, lived in and lovingly restored, has been sold behind their backs in a sophisticated scam.

Doodledog Tue 08-Mar-22 22:32:28

No spoilers please?

I am enjoying it, although it is not at all believable, and I have serious house envy?.

Why is she still speaking to the lawyer as though nothing had happened? I can't see a friendship group surviving that sort of thing intact.

There is enough of a plot to make me suspend disbelief and watch it though. I'm pleased it's on every night, as I think I'd lose interest if we just got one episode a week.

storynanny Tue 08-Mar-22 22:59:05

It’s not a spoiler, it’s what happened tonight, Fi’s new boyfriend and dodgy blackmailer are the same person. I didn’t work that out in the book as he was called something else but was still Toby if you see what I mean!

Doodledog Wed 09-Mar-22 00:05:44

I see what you mean ?.

Paulaw Wed 09-Mar-22 12:34:10

Hi everyone couldn't help myself and binged all in one lol . Really enjoyed watching our house little slow at times but it still had my attention gripped not wanting to miss anything x

volver Wed 09-Mar-22 12:45:17

I stuck with it until halfway through the second episode but lost the will to live.

She's divorcing the husband, but still inviting the neighbour to babysit as though nothing happened? Then I googled the plot and found out what was going to happen...

Life's too short !! smile

Candelle Wed 09-Mar-22 12:59:45

I haven't read the book but am watching.

It is possible to contact the Land Registry and ask to be informed if there is any activity concerning your house. They will contact you should this occur.I don't know if the above would affect the plot but feel strongly that everyone should do it! We did a few years ago and hope it gives a little peace if mind but will watch the remaining episodes with particular interest!

PinkCosmos Wed 09-Mar-22 13:11:32

I think they have moved stuff forward in the series as I don't remember most of the stuff coming out until nearer to the end in the book. I suppose they have to do this to keep the story flowing.

I did find it a bit confusing when they kept going backwards and forwards in time, with only the flowering tree as a guide !!

Also, I really struggled to tell what the young girl was saying. The one the husband met in the pub. Don't want to give out spoilers.

I was looking forward to binge watching this on the ITV Hub but when I went onto the hub I could only access the two episodes that had been on. It did say all episodes were available. Not sure if it is my telly playing up as my DH could get it on his phone through the ITV hub app.

jeapurs54 Wed 09-Mar-22 13:36:20

I have read a few of Louise Candlish Books and they are all very good. Thoroughly recommend.

Doodledog Wed 09-Mar-22 13:40:00

Hi everyone couldn't help myself and binged all in one lol

I didn't know you could see all the episodes. I have a friend coming round this afternoon, but as soon as she leaves I am putting the TV on grin.

Is it filmed in your house, paulaw? It's gorgeous.

LadyGracie Wed 09-Mar-22 13:43:14

We couldn’t binge watch it either PinkCosmos so it’s not your TV.

HurdyGurdy Wed 09-Mar-22 13:44:52

I have really enjoyed the first two episodes and it took all my willpower not to go onto ITV Hub and watch the remaining episodes.

My friend and I are "discussing" the episodes via WhatsApp whilst watching and we're intrigued as to how the young girl knows so much about the husband. Our theory (and neither of us know if this is correct, so not a spoiler) is that she was in the car the husband was playing leapfrog with, or that she was a passenger in the white car.

I have ordered the book onto my Kindle (thank you Oldbat1 for the heads up) to get a more in-depth feel for the story after the series has ended. (The benefits of a rubbish memory - I can never remember what happens in films, books or TV programmes grin )

Poppyred Wed 09-Mar-22 13:50:30

Very disappointing……as if all these things would happen to one couple. Lost the will to live half way during the second episode.

Tinydancer Wed 09-Mar-22 14:45:55

I'm watching and loving it. Also love Fee's wardrobe, especially the wine coloured dress last night.

Alioop Wed 09-Mar-22 15:04:41

I'm enjoying it and it got even better last night when Rupert Penry- Jones arrived on the scene...

Shazmo24 Wed 09-Mar-22 15:51:58

Sounds exactly like the true life story of a man who"s house was sold whilst he was away.

Calendargirl Wed 09-Mar-22 16:23:32

Alioop

I'm enjoying it and it got even better last night when Rupert Penry- Jones arrived on the scene...

Always find Rupert PJ a bit sleazy, don’t know why.

Gossamerbeynon1945 Wed 09-Mar-22 16:40:39

I read the book some time ago. The book is different. Can't really remember what happens at the end -I have a shockingly bad memory!

Mummer Wed 09-Mar-22 17:19:57

JaneJudge

I think I'll get confused as all the characters look alike

?? There a slim white dark haired lady .an (Indian?) Heritage lady. A short bloke with dark hair and a taller bloke with curly fair hair! Confused.com?!?

JaneJudge Wed 09-Mar-22 18:48:34

I think it was the same woman in different clothes

Callistemon21 Wed 09-Mar-22 19:40:28

JaneJudge grin

The short bloke with dark hair is Martin Compston!
Who could mistake him? Although I really am not liking him at the moment!

a taller bloke with curly fair hair!

Beware fair-haired goodlooking blokes
They are untrustworthy.

HiPpyChick57 Wed 09-Mar-22 21:16:23

Couldn’t binge watch on tv either but could on my phone.

granfromafar Wed 09-Mar-22 23:07:46

I missed episode 2 so watched it before tonight's episode was shown, then watched the last episode ( due to be aired tomorrow) Are you still with me? Thought it was good, though didn't like the ending. Worth watching though. Go it more interesting when Rupert P J entered the scene, even though he turned out to be a baddie! Will look out for the book.

JaneJudge Thu 10-Mar-22 08:36:57

I think it might be easier to follow in a book grin I have the concentration of a gnat atm

TopsyIrene06 Thu 10-Mar-22 09:59:03

Anybody else thinks Tuppence Middleton looks a bit like DOC?

Sparklefizz Thu 10-Mar-22 10:12:12

TopsyIrene06

Anybody else thinks Tuppence Middleton looks a bit like DOC?

No, I thought she looked like Felicity Jones.