Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Blue Lights

(55 Posts)
Jaxjacky Tue 28-Mar-23 21:10:28

Anyone else watching? I think it’s excellent.

Sago Tue 28-Mar-23 21:27:43

I loved it too.
An excellent insight.
Sadly things are not good in NI right now

Jaxjacky Tue 28-Mar-23 21:34:23

No they aren’t Sago MrJ is born and bred Belfast, still has family there, we’re keeping an eye on it.

tanith Tue 28-Mar-23 22:04:27

There’s me things had settled down NI, how wrong can you be.
I watched the first episode tonight I how accurate it was?

merlotgran Tue 28-Mar-23 22:52:11

I binged watched three episodes this afternoon. It gets better and better.

No wonder they have recruiting problems in NI.

Granmarderby10 Tue 28-Mar-23 23:05:26

Yes, watched the first and thought it was instantly engaging. definitely a go-er will ration them out though😇

Eloethan Tue 28-Mar-23 23:22:30

I wasn't sure at first but enjoyed it. Is it really as lawless in NI as this series portrays?

Sago Tue 28-Mar-23 23:30:10

Jaxjacky

No they aren’t Sago MrJ is born and bred Belfast, still has family there, we’re keeping an eye on it.

Was I mistaken that the threat level is now severe with the likelihood of a terrorist attack imminent?

Whitewavemark2 Wed 29-Mar-23 07:06:07

This was a slick and well acted series. Well worth a watch.

Aveline Wed 29-Mar-23 07:18:52

Hard to understand why anyone would risk being a policeman in NI. The atmosphere felt so threatening. Two more episodes pencilled in for me this pm.

Grannynannywanny Wed 29-Mar-23 07:43:18

I watched the first one last night and I’m trying to resist bingeing on the rest. My son’s sister in law is a PSNI officer. Part of her morning routine is to check underneath her car for an explosive device using a mirror on a stick.

Yesterday MI5 increased the terror threat in NI from substantial to severe meaning a terrorist attack is highly likely. It was only reduced from severe to substantial a year ago after 10 years at the same level. President Biden is due to visit to mark the anniversary of the Good Friday Agreement so I wonder if that has played a part in the increased terrorist risk.

Visgir1 Wed 29-Mar-23 08:30:17

Same here want to binge watch after the first episode but resisting.
The Times gave it a good review, so thought we would try, not disappointed.

MerylStreep Wed 29-Mar-23 08:37:17

I gave it 10 mins and found something else. Dire 👎

Jaxjacky Wed 29-Mar-23 08:40:05

Accurate tanith in certain areas. But much improved from years ago.

Iam64 Wed 29-Mar-23 08:42:25

I watched episode 1 last night, it’s good, well written, good cast. I’ll watch another tonight

Katie59 Wed 29-Mar-23 09:13:13

I saw the MI5 upgrading of threat level I thought the Sein Fein increased political influence would lessen the threat

Would someone in NI explain what is happening.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 29-Mar-23 09:27:29

I hadn’t appreciated that the day to day police carried guns. It shows the level of violence that must still be around there.

Not nice

Walkowl Wed 29-Mar-23 10:02:48

I started watching this last night and binged three episodes. It's really good.. I really feel for the young probationers.

Aveline Wed 29-Mar-23 16:16:50

On episode two now. How brave to be a police officer there.

kircubbin2000 Wed 29-Mar-23 19:17:59

Katie59

I saw the MI5 upgrading of threat level I thought the Sein Fein increased political influence would lessen the threat

Would someone in NI explain what is happening.

Don't really understand it myself. Younger IRA born after the troubles want to kill police and their families and are supported by some old guard but most people including Sinn Fein don't want this. I can't see why anyone would want to kill police but these people think in a different way to normal citizens.
To confuse things further a drug war has broken out between 2 rival groups of thugs and the police don't have the numbers to watch them all as they are attacking and petrol bombing the homes of gang members who have upset them. Low lives.
Our local school has had to cancel it's concert as these men are gathering nearby.

Katie59 Wed 29-Mar-23 20:02:59

Thanks for the update
My OHs grandson is in NI, rural north of Belfast so should be clear of trouble

Iam64 Wed 29-Mar-23 20:53:43

I suspect the paramilitaries are still heavily involved in organised crime. Then we have the younger generation being groomed to join whichever dissident group fits their distorted view of their family history or belief systems.
It’s desperately sad.

Jaxjacky Wed 29-Mar-23 20:58:39

It is Iam64 very little appears in the news so many people in the UK have no idea. I had a very naive expectation when I first visited 20 odd years ago away from the burgeoning tourist areas. My eyes were quickly opened wide to a way of life I had no idea existed.

Iam64 Wed 29-Mar-23 21:06:31

I first visited a friend in Belfast in 1979 and regularly over about 20 years. Northern Ireland is a beautiful place but the entrenched views of some continue to cause danger

Pittcity Wed 29-Mar-23 21:43:48

I enjoyed the first episode and fully agree with Colin's code!