Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Gone - BBC IPlayer

(60 Posts)
TerriBull Sun 17-Mar-24 16:30:24

There's a new series that has recently been loaded on to BBC IPlayer, an Irish/New Zealand collaboration. Irish Detective leaves his native Dublin to team up with his female New Zealand counterpart to jointly investigate the disappearance of a young Irish couple who have been in NZ for a few months. Watched the first episode last night, ok so far. Filmed in the north island, outside Auckland somewhere, looks lush and green a bit like Wales. Might be of interest to those who have been out to NZ, I'm half watching it for the scenery, we have friends in that part of the world.

Chestnut Sun 17-Mar-24 16:47:04

I've found that Aussie and NZ television drama seems much better than our own UK drama, which is mostly dark and depressing, or silly and light (Love Rat anyone?) I will definitely give it a go.

Sparklefizz Sun 17-Mar-24 16:49:09

I have watched episode 1 this afternoon. Looks promising.

Bea65 Sun 17-Mar-24 19:22:38

Yes I’ve also started watching and will continue as seems a good drama.. the mother of the missing Irish girl who is a Judge? was in something recently I watched - cannot remember but she’s a good actress

Chestnut Tue 19-Mar-24 00:26:30

I lasted about 30 mins but it was too dark for me. I'm finding this affects me and I can't enjoy it as entertainment any more. Just switched off Coma as well. Both about murder, drugs, gangs, no thanks.

Celieanne86 Tue 19-Mar-24 00:37:12

I watched part one of The Gone and it was ok so settled down to watch part two, I had to give up after about half an hour I was so confused it was giving me a headache. I have got it saved so,I might have another go but I doubt it. I watched Coma tonight, what a twist, it’s all going to end in tears that’s obvious but I shall watch again next week fingers crossed.

BlueBelle Tue 19-Mar-24 05:27:51

I m enjoying The Gone Terribull thanks for suggesting it
I ve only seen the first episode but ‘got into’ it straight away
Also started Coma last night and that seems promising

Whiff Tue 19-Mar-24 05:39:48

On episode 4 at the moment. Think it's very good. I like Brokenwood on drama channel. And watch a lot of Walter presents on All 4. But also like British dramas, Vigil both series ,Deceived, Sister Boniface,Father Brown ,Madam Blanc Mysteries. Like the BBC version of Pale Horse, and other Agatha Christie but not ABC murders with John Malcovic turned over after half a hour.

Christmas Carol with Guy Pearce is very good on iPlayer. Very dark but I think more like the book than another version. As the book is dark until the end.

Used to like watching Call the midwife but haven't watched the last 2 series as it was getting to samey. Same with Inspector Murdoch .

nanna8 Tue 19-Mar-24 07:35:44

New Zealand is gorgeous, wonderful scenery. The South Island in particular though it is a bit cold. Funny, here we always say British tv is better than ours! The grass is always greener over the fence and all that ! Have to say UK tv is dark and can be depressing, similar to Scandinavian.

Freya5 Tue 19-Mar-24 08:09:41

Chestnut

I've found that Aussie and NZ television drama seems much better than our own UK drama, which is mostly dark and depressing, or silly and light (Love Rat anyone?) I will definitely give it a go.

I think murder or anything on that line is dark and depressing, dont call Love Rat in that genre, you should watch some of the scandi series, filmed in beautiful places, but very dark and depressing. Still they are only stories.

Freya5 Tue 19-Mar-24 08:14:06

Started watching it,very good so far, need subtitles as actors seem unclear at times, except for the fword, that seems to come across loud and clear, frequently.

TerriBull Tue 19-Mar-24 09:22:25

We do put the subtitles on Freya, because of mumble! mumble!.

We're up to episode four, I'm enjoying it so far.

pascal30 Tue 19-Mar-24 09:35:59

I have watched the whole series and loved it..especially the input of Maori culture and beliefs.. The characters are great, the scenery is spectacular and the storyline is well written and engrossing.. can't wait for series 2

Chestnut Tue 19-Mar-24 11:00:48

Freya5

Chestnut

I think murder or anything on that line is dark and depressing, dont call Love Rat in that genre, you should watch some of the scandi series, filmed in beautiful places, but very dark and depressing. Still they are only stories.

I put Love Rat in the 'silly and light' category, along with Madame Blanc and many more. I usually get bored with them, and depressed watching the dark ones, so am getting a bit picky I suppose. I'd like to see some good plots with interesting characters but everything seems to involve murder. I'm currently watching Mad Men and loving it! No murders, no f-words, such a refreshing change.

Delila Tue 19-Mar-24 11:07:17

Chestnut, have you watched Kin? Two series, now on iplayer. I’m hoping there will be more. Murder is involved, but interesting characters abound.

Chestnut Tue 19-Mar-24 16:19:34

I didn't watch Kin because it mentions gangland war, my least favourite subject. I want to focus on an interesting script about interesting people doing interesting jobs. Mad Men is one but my other favourite is The Newsreader (about an Aussie newsroom in the 1980s) both tick all my boxes and do not leave me feeling depressed.

Oreo Tue 19-Mar-24 17:09:19

Thanks for the heads up about this series OP 👍🏻

Grannmarie Tue 19-Mar-24 17:16:13

Hello 👋 Bea65, I think the actress who plays the mother of the missing Irish girl is Michelle Fairley. She was Katelyn Stark in Game of Thrones.
I dozed off during the final episode last night, I'll need to try again this evening. Good drama.

Grannmarie Tue 19-Mar-24 17:19:45

Chestnut, I enjoyed 5 Bedrooms, another Australian drama. No murders!
Also, Colin from Accounts, quirky Australian humour.

Grannmarie Tue 19-Mar-24 17:21:06

Thanks for the heads up, TerriBull.

Callistemon21 Tue 19-Mar-24 17:24:12

I'll look out for it, thanks Terribull.

TerriBull Wed 20-Mar-24 07:21:49

Well finished watching the last episode last night, without mentioning any spoilers, it has certainly ended with a cliff hanger. Hopefully another series in the pipeline, quite atmospheric I thought.

Bea65 Wed 20-Mar-24 08:34:08

[Grannmarie] yes of course Game of Thrones… 🙌

Sparklefizz Wed 20-Mar-24 08:36:39

Grannmarie

*Chestnut*, I enjoyed 5 Bedrooms, another Australian drama. No murders!
Also, Colin from Accounts, quirky Australian humour.

I loved 5 Bedrooms - really good. No murders and not depressing.

granfromafar Wed 20-Mar-24 08:52:46

Thanks for the tip, TerriBull. Have watched the first 3 episodes and am enjoying it more now that it's progressing. I often use subtitles for these dramas, but can't seem to get them fir iplayer, so struggled with the vocabulary in the first episode. Must be more tuned into the accents now. Again, too much filming in poor lighting in some scenes, but generally good

Another recommendation for 5 Bedrooms from me.