Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

70 Up

(80 Posts)
silverlining48 Sun 13-Sept-26 11:48:02

In case anyone has followed this interesting documentary over the years, or is interested, the final programme will be ITV this Tuesday evening.

Sweetpeasue Sun 13-Sept-26 12:19:10

Yes, Im looking forward to hearing what they have to say.

Visgir1 Sun 13-Sept-26 12:20:17

I'm looking forward to it too, they are my age it will be interesting.

silverlining48 Sun 13-Sept-26 12:28:34

I think I have said this before but 10 boys and only 4 girls were picked, three of whom were friends at the same primary school.
I have held feminist views as far back as the early 70 s, so can’t understand why it took a while before I registered this inequality.
I look firward with some sadness to watching this very last 7Up on Tuesday 9 pm ITV.

TerriBull Sun 13-Sept-26 13:11:31

I will definitely watch it. I imagine it will be bitter/sweet and very poignant. There have been a number of articles about it. Nick's last recording 3 days before he died. In a way they've all been very brave to keep coming back to it. Unwittengly put forward at 7 years old when they would certainly lack any judgement as to the effects of their lives being put under scrutiny every 7 years. I think viewers have maybe measured their own highs and lows against theirs. I imagine there will be a few tears shed, it's the very real passage of time, the bright eyed seven year olds morphing gradually into pensioners.

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Sun 13-Sept-26 13:16:42

I intend to watch it.
Actually I might fill in watching the previous episodes too beforehand , as to be honest I’ve forgotten most of it.

KayM Sun 13-Sept-26 13:44:41

It has been an engrossing series. One of the strengths has been the way some of the girls have "grown". Several lovely outcomes, a couple of sad ones. I used the videos in schools for many years.

silverlining48 Sun 13-Sept-26 13:53:57

It has to be one of the best documentaries ever, given the cohesion of Michael Apted being well known and there for the children as he was until he died recently.

Primrose53 Sun 13-Sept-26 15:55:35

Will definitely be watching. They were all such lovely kids and watching them grow over the years and have families of their own was so interesting.

BlueBelle Sun 13-Sept-26 16:00:28

FGT like you I m sure I ve forgotten more than I ve remembered so I ll probably watch the 60 one before Tuesday as a recap

MartavTaurus Sun 13-Sept-26 16:46:16

Thank you silverlining48.
It's of great interest to me because I am part of a parallel National Study. There are 17,000 of us all born in one week in 1958 and we have been monitored from the day we were delivered, and then interviewed regularly to learn about every aspect of our lives. It's still ongoing. I'm grateful we did not appear on tv, or have our lifestyles scrutinised, though I do admit it is interesting to actually watch the participants speaking in the flesh, so to speak.

Roseyposy Sun 13-Sept-26 16:56:56

A wonderful social experiment and great piece of television that I’ve followed avidly. Looking forward to watching the final series. I feel quite sad about how Neil’s life turned out. He was the chatty adorable 7 year old viewers all loved. He briefly touched on how his strict school teacher parents and bullying at secondary school all contributed to his mental health decline.

V3ra Sun 13-Sept-26 18:04:20

This is one to check out on ITVX
www.itv.com/watch/the-7-up-collection/3a0317?utm_source=Android&utm_medium=socialshare&utm_campaign=product_social-sharing-programme-page&utm_marketing_tactic=acquisition

All the previous episodes are available here.

I started a new knitting project last week to give me an excuse to sit and binge-watch them all 😁

I'd missed a few episodes over the years.
I was at school in America in 1964 for 7UP when it first started.

It's been fascinating to see how the different people's lives have evolved, with some real surprises along the way.

Really looking forward to 70UP, there are two episodes with the first one on Tuesday.

V3ra Sun 13-Sept-26 18:10:23

www.radiotimes.com/tv/documentaries/70-up-itv-bonus-episodes-newsupdate/

More information in this article from Radio Times.

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Sun 13-Sept-26 18:35:42

I’ve been binge watching. Done the 7s and the 14s now with the 21y olds. I feel for them speaking in a group when in front of their peers. They reveal more when one their own in front of the camera.

In the 14s programme The 3 girls when sat together are feeling awkward with one grammar school girl flanked by the two who went to the local secondary modern, who were saying it was good to try metalwork and woodwork in their classes.

And some of the questions put to all of them were quite personal. I felt for them to be honest at times.

I find I hardly recall any of it.

MartavTaurus Sun 13-Sept-26 18:41:32

And some of the questions put to all of them were quite personal. I felt for them to be honest at times.
I completely agree when I see children, under 16s, being quizzed on tv. I'm not sure they should be put in front of cameras being asked intrusive questions about their lives. At least in the NCDS survey at that age, we were asked about our sexual activity in private!! 😲 And answers about our teachers, parents or siblings were not broadcast either.

TerriBull Sun 13-Sept-26 18:48:22

Yes who among us wasn't gauche at 14, particularly with probing questions that were embarrassing. I think they were brave to deal with laying their lives out during these 7 year intervals. I can imagine how difficult that have must been.

GrandmaKT Sun 13-Sept-26 20:28:18

Yes, I'm sure it was difficult for the participants at times. They can console themselves with knowing that we all say silly things at various points in our lives, and they have taken part in a very valuable and unique social experiment. I can't wait for these latest (and final) episodes.

MayBee70 Sun 13-Sept-26 20:41:14

MartavTaurus

Thank you silverlining48.
It's of great interest to me because I am part of a parallel National Study. There are 17,000 of us all born in one week in 1958 and we have been monitored from the day we were delivered, and then interviewed regularly to learn about every aspect of our lives. It's still ongoing. I'm grateful we did not appear on tv, or have our lifestyles scrutinised, though I do admit it is interesting to actually watch the participants speaking in the flesh, so to speak.

I have been wondering how much being on the tv did shape the course of their lives ie did they do things differently because of the series? I shall be watching it.

GrandmaKT Sun 13-Sept-26 20:52:43

It's interesting to see that the one who has consistently refused to take part since he was 21 is actually a documentary maker himself! (I believe he does make an appearance this time).

Luckygirl3 Mon 14-Sept-26 09:20:21

I have been flicking through to recap and have got to 42.

An interesting question to me is how do you measure success or happiness? It seems to take a very different form for each individual.

The most striking images are of Neil who skipped along with a merry smile at 7 but was later afflicted with mental illness - poor man.

albertina Mon 14-Sept-26 15:48:03

It's fascinating and very moving. Such a great idea.

joyg67 Mon 14-Sept-26 16:21:25

Hi it’s nice to hear from someone else in the 1958 NCDS group
I am also glad that I wasn’t questioned on on Tv

MayBee70 Mon 14-Sept-26 16:24:01

GrandmaKT

It's interesting to see that the one who has consistently refused to take part since he was 21 is actually a documentary maker himself! (I believe he does make an appearance this time).

I wonder if he realised early on how much editing goes on in these sort of programmes and was wary of taking part? However I’m not implying that 7 Up is anything other than a true reflection of their lives. If it wasn’t I don’t think we’d feel such a connection to the people taking part. The programme is actually entwined in our own lives, isn’t it. I feel quite emotional about watching it tomorrow and will be watching it on my iPad on my own. I don’t want my partner talking over it.

Siptree Mon 14-Sept-26 17:03:18

I was in the same class at secondary level as one of the participants. I also met them in during their 20s. Didn't seem to change much at all to me. I remember the film crew coming to do the 14 up episode at school.