Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Pressure - regarding the lead up to the D Day Landings

(30 Posts)
NanKate Wed 16-Sept-26 16:38:51

I can honestly say it was one of the best films I have ever seen and the two lead actors will definitely win awards.

Don’t miss it.

Galaxy Wed 16-Sept-26 16:51:38

My son has just seen it and is raving about it smile

Aveline Wed 16-Sept-26 16:57:43

I'm really looking forward to seeing it.

Sarnia Wed 16-Sept-26 17:03:23

I am going this weekend with my GS who is cinema mad. I love Brendan Fraser and Andrew Scott. 2 very versatile actors.

David49 Wed 16-Sept-26 18:08:28

My parents recounted the weeks before DDay men and weapons camouflaged everywhere, roadsides, farms, waste land, security everywhere, bomber aircraft day and night then suddenly overnight it was gone.

Sago Wed 16-Sept-26 23:38:53

Oh cannot wait to go and see it, our son lives in North America, he saw it months ago and said it was outstanding.
We could have watched it on the plane but we decided it needs a big screen.

charliebb Sun 20-Sept-26 14:20:05

Saw it on Friday. Really excellent, a must see!

LindyB Sun 20-Sept-26 14:27:11

Is this the title of the film?

Susieq62 Sun 20-Sept-26 14:31:46

What a brilliant film this is! Tells a story which I hadn’t even considered and well acted , mainly! Definitely one to go and see if you can ! My daughter and I were mesmerised !

Farmor15 Sun 20-Sept-26 15:01:10

LindyB - yes the title is Pressure- very appropriate as it focuses on the weather forecasts leading up to D-Day.

I saw it during the week and had a particular interest in it, as there's a bit of a back story about the reports from Blacksod, in west of Ireland that were key to choosing the final date for D-Day.

At the time, weather forecasts could only be made by putting together all the available information about atmospheric conditions which was gathered from reporting stations in various locations. As most weather systems in UK come from the Atlantic, and they could get few reports from the middle of the ocean, reports from extreme west of Ireland were crucial.

The Blacksod station (like many others) was actually manned part time by the Sweeney family who also ran the post office. My father was one of the first meteorologists recruited by new Irish met service and one of his duties was to inspect these remote weather stations and check they were reporting accurately. In 1942 he visited Blacksod and gave the observers there a few lectures to improve their recording! So it could be said that my father may have played a role in the weather forecasts Stagg made in the run up to D-Day.

Farmor15 Sun 20-Sept-26 15:04:14

More info if anyone interested-
Blacksod Point and the D-Day Forecast - Met Éireann - The Irish Meteorological Service share.google/lMTwI5Ov5qoCR2PKH

albertina Sun 20-Sept-26 15:04:43

I can't watch anything to do with the D Day landings because of what happened to my beloved Uncle. He was rescued off the beaches at Dunkirk by the brave folk in the little ships, and suffered physical and emotional problems because of it. He was a brave man and returned with his unit on D Day. I remember him as a lovely, gently man who hated war but did his bit.

Barbadosbelle Sun 20-Sept-26 17:20:38

albertina

Do go and see it. By adding your support to something like this you help ensure that people like your Uncle aren't forgotten.

If everyone thought like you and so didn't watch such films and documentaries then they wouldn't be made and all the brave and heroic men and women would all soon be forgotten.
..

Trisha99 Sun 20-Sept-26 22:27:34

Barbadosbelle

albertina

Do go and see it. By adding your support to something like this you help ensure that people like your Uncle aren't forgotten.

If everyone thought like you and so didn't watch such films and documentaries then they wouldn't be made and all the brave and heroic men and women would all soon be forgotten.
..

Well said.

Bridey Mon 21-Sept-26 07:38:29

Excellent film,.

tanith Mon 21-Sept-26 08:03:48

I watched it yesterday it was brilliant.

Grannycool52 Mon 21-Sept-26 08:11:27

Farmor,
Thank you for all that information.
I find it fascinating that the skill of a 21 year old young woman had such an important influence on the success of D-Day.
I must go and see this film asap.

luluaugust Mon 21-Sept-26 08:13:02

Saw it last week and thoroughly enjoyed it, hope it does get some awards. The only thing that slightly bothered me with Ike and Monty was that they seemed so big and well fed!
Would recommend

Mamie Mon 21-Sept-26 08:13:13

I watched an excellent documentary about Stagg in the run up to D Day some time ago and have read the major historical accounts (inevitable when living in Normandie).
I am hesitating about watching the film, as I gather there are considerable historical inaccuracies.
I understand it does not make clear that Stagg and his team had been embedded in the planning of Operation Overlord for months, taking regular weather readings well in advance and that Eisenhower trusted and respected Stagg's opinion. I also gather Montgomery's reaction is misrepresented.

Mamie Mon 21-Sept-26 09:32:48

Barbadosbelle

albertina

Do go and see it. By adding your support to something like this you help ensure that people like your Uncle aren't forgotten.

If everyone thought like you and so didn't watch such films and documentaries then they wouldn't be made and all the brave and heroic men and women would all soon be forgotten.
..

They are never forgotten in the towns, communes and villages of Normandie. Every year there is a Bank Holiday and ceremony of remembrance in churches and churchyards on May 8th, with the local children playing a large part in the commemoration. Older people shared their memories of lived experience.
Films should stick to the facts.

Samsara1 Mon 21-Sept-26 11:21:54

I agree its an excellent film we thoroughly enjoyed it.

Milest0ne Mon 21-Sept-26 12:11:01

I will have to watch this film.
I have a letter from my Dad, written on the eve of D-Day , sent from his ship as they were getting it ready to take soldiers off to France.

midgey Mon 21-Sept-26 12:36:42

Was listening to the radio about this film, John Stagg’s grandson actually worked on this film and didn’t realise for some time that it was about his grandfather. Amazing coincidence, can’t remember if he is an actor or part of the filming bit.

MartavTaurus Mon 21-Sept-26 22:35:56

I went to see it yesterday. It was very good.
I think some of the arguing was hammed up a bit too much, trying to show the tension. I'm sure they had their disagreements, but I think they'd be too professional to have such a dramatic shouting match.

Clawdy Thu 24-Sept-26 13:53:32

The trailer looked rather boring, but I went to see it yesterday, and loved it. Great acting, so moving, and just about the best film I've seen in ages. Andrew Scott is wonderful.