Gransnet forums

News & politics

Anti Semitism in Labour Party and Universities.

(630 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

POGS Thu 17-Mar-16 12:12:56

I am raising this as a separate conversation although it has been mentioned on another thread re the Muslim Female Councillors and reports of Mysogyny.

It is worrying to know Anti Semitism is reportedly rising in the UK . When a Political Party is facing accusations of Anti Semetism that becomes a major issue. Now my comment will be challenged but I for one have been asking how such blatent cases of Anti Semitism are being allowed in the UK. We have laws to handle it but they are not being used, why? I will most certainly be happy to say that I do not believe for one minute the majority of Labour MP's nor voters are Anti Semetic, quite the reverse, but is it time voices spoke out against Anti Semitism or at least understood it is an issue within some parts of the Labour Movement.

I have noticed this tendancy from certain Labour MP's and groups they belong to for many years but they were always under the radar and not thought 'influencial' enough, however times have changed. Labour run councils have used Anti Semetic behaviour over issues such as Flying the Palestinian Flag over Tower Hamlets , Calls for boycotting of Israeli goods, banning Jewish films etc. etc.

There is no doubt more interest being taken by the media over such matters and there are calls for Corbyn to show leadership over the actions of the Labour Party activism at Oxford University , indeed something is going radically wrong with our universities full stop an entire thread could be dedicated to that topic alone. I am not talking of racist tweets such as those made by MP's such as Dianne Abbot , Helen Goodman et al. Whilst they are relevant it would just dissolve into a tit for tat fest of he said she said to the left and right of politics. There are idiots in all party's !

I am not , and some will not believe a word of what I am about to say, trying to score a political point. I take my hat off to those Labour MP's who are speaking openly about this problem and calling for action from their Leader. This is not some right wing rag hyperbol taking place but there is something of a 'menacing ' tendency in some quarters of the Party and I hope those MP's who are doing their damnedest to openly stop it's progression do not fail or as some have eluded to run the risk of deselection for speaking out, that's another thread story too.

Anniebach Thu 17-Mar-16 12:21:48

I don't think it is anti semitism, many think Israel treat Palestine brutally ,if one says this one is accused of being anti Semitic

POGS Thu 17-Mar-16 13:53:43

Then Anniebach I can only presume that you are indifferent to the voices within the Labour Party that are calling for action against Anti Semitism in the Labour Party.

Saying Israel is brutal against Palestine is not being Anti Semetic. Opposing the State of Israel 's continued occupation , crimes against the Palestinian People, violation of International Law is nothing to do with Anti Semitism. Nor is mentioning violation of International Law by Palestinians against Israel being Anti Palestinian. They are facts. That is not Anti Semitism .

rosesarered Thu 17-Mar-16 14:05:42

Certainly Corbyn and friends seem only interested in the Palestinians.

rosesarered Thu 17-Mar-16 14:06:43

Sounds as if the Labour Party should be rooting these people out.

nigglynellie Thu 17-Mar-16 14:15:49

Anti semitism is the persecution and hatred of Jews because of who they are and nothing to do with the state of Israel. Exactly like the Muslim ladies who are similarly ostracized, ridiculed and terrorised because they are women, Jews are once again being singled out because of an accident of birth. The state of Israel is Zionism, which does not mean that every Jew subscribes to that country's government, indeed a lot of Jews actively oppose Israel's policies. To imply that all Jews deserve to be treated in an obnoxious way, and that they deserve this treatment because they are Jews (serves them right) smacks to me of Nazi Germany.

WilmaKnickersfit Thu 17-Mar-16 14:33:46

Any allegations of this kind must be publicly investigated. No political party can afford to be perceived in this way. I understand that the Jewish Labour Movement states the problem got worse since Jeremy Corbyn was elected, after a large number of people joined the Labour Party. A number of these new members are thought to be root of the current problem. From what I read, this issue was discussed at length during a shadow cabinet meeting and steps are now being taken to investigate the situation. I'm sure Jeremy Corbyn will want to know the facts.

rosesarered what makes you say Certainly Corbyn and friends seem only interested in the Palestinians.?

rosesarered Thu 17-Mar-16 14:56:17

Because he had meetings with Palestinians ( iffy ones) and espoused their cause all through his life.

rosesarered Thu 17-Mar-16 14:58:02

This does not make Corbyn an anti-semite, but means he is pro Palestinian.

TerriBull Thu 17-Mar-16 15:20:06

I brought this up on another thread and the GN who answers everything with a link, posted one, to "Hope Not Hate", I'm unsure how impartial this organisation is though hmm my thoughts follow on from rosesarered's point of view.

Anniebach Thu 17-Mar-16 15:22:25

Not wise to presume you know another persons thoughts POGS. I am against racism and have campaigned against it since a teenager

WilmaKnickersfit Thu 17-Mar-16 15:42:30

rosesarered if you bothered to check, I think you will find Jeremy Corbyn is neither pro-Palestinian nor pro-Israeli.

Just last year at a Jewish community center, he said that all parties must be engaged if peace is to be found in areas of conflict, saying “You don’t achieve progress by only talking to those who you agree with,” he said. “You have to address the rights of everybody if peace is to be achieved across the whole region. Conflicts are settled politically, not necessarily militarily.” He's visited Israel, the West Bank and Gaza many times and believes questioning the Israeli or Palestinian position does not mean you're anti-Semitic, anti-Israeli or anti-Palestinian.

nigglynellie Thu 17-Mar-16 15:42:48

Presumably that includes Jews?!

rosesarered Thu 17-Mar-16 18:19:42

He visited the West Bank and Gaza to talk to Palestinians, and had meetings here in the UK with Palestinians Wilma ( you see, I have 'bothered' to find out.) Of course he says he is neutral, but since he was never in the past in any position of power, he was in no way able to influence anybody or 'broker' peace.The truth is, he favours what he sees as the underdog, like the IRA.

POGS Thu 17-Mar-16 20:30:27

Anniebach

I have not presumed to know another persons thought you elected to say what you did. You have not been accused of racism either.

Instead of making this about you and I what have you got to say on the points raised . I am not fearful of making the connection with some in Labour with groups such as Stop The War and I know that some posters will be upset by my even daring to make a connection because they have mentioned in the past their respect for Stop The War and similar groups. Look up Gerald Kaufman, Vicky Kirby, etc. It does not take more than a nanosecond to find enough material that gives plenty of information to not rely on posters on here for information does it. There are plenty of Labour MP's who are expressing/have expressed their concern over this matter but if there is no willingness to listen to them so be it. The outcome of not listening and being in denial will inevitably be the road to travel for many but that does not mean it is not an issue , it just means debate, discussion is shoved under the carpet which is fine and dandy for some but obviously not for others.

I genuinely have respect for Labour MP's such as John Mann , Frank Field etc. who are raising their voices within the party and I hope they are not deselected for their principled stand.

Eloethan Fri 18-Mar-16 01:38:38

There are undoubtedly anti-semitic people and islamophobic people in all political parties and in Britain generally - as there are people who dislike any group that they perceive to be different from themselves. When there are allegations of people of any party displaying racist behaviour or making racist comments they should be investigated and, if found guilty, ejected from the party.

However, there is a growing movement which insists that anyone who opposes Israel's treatment of the Palestinians is anti-Jewish - and yet there have been and continue to be Jewish people - such as Albert Einstein, Noam Chomsky, Isaac Asimov, Gerald Kaufman, Sigmund Freud, Rabbi Michael Lerner, etc. - who have been very critical of the state of Israel.

Many people - including myself - criticise Saudi Arabia and other similarly fundamentalist countries for their treatment of non-Muslims and women. It is not, in my opinion, racist to dislike the way in which the governments of some countries operate - whether their inhabitants be Muslim, Jewish or any other ethnic or religious grouping or political persuasion.

Anniebach Fri 18-Mar-16 08:46:12

POGS, anyone indifferent to racism is a racist to me. and I did not make my reply all about me, I answered your post in which you aired your presumptions about me

JennyB Fri 18-Mar-16 10:46:09

I share POGS concerns, there currently seems to be some feeling in certain organisations which confuse countries, political parties and religion. Jewish students have been harassed, the former Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams talked about it a few days ago. Students are resigning from Labour organisations and oldies like me who have voted Labour all their lives are shocked and considering their options.
The rights and wrongs of Israel and Palestine are extremely difficult to quantify, similar to Northern Ireland, both have the right to exist and as Ian McEwan has said boycotts get you nowhere you need to go to places to see what is happening and talk to those involved to get their side of the story. This is where taking one side of the argument is seen as being very divisive by many People with Jewish ancestry, e.g. Headlines such as ' Palestinian shot' then if you read the small print you find out they were attacking someone with a gun, knife or car. Also attacks on Twitter of Jewish politicians or simply Jews, which include anti Semitic slogans or symbols last popular in Nazi Germany are very worrying.

Anniebach Fri 18-Mar-16 11:14:56

Thankfully they are not under the attacks that Muslims are suffering in this country . There will always be racists, good grief even a member of the English rugby team let rip with a racist taunt last Saturday

blueskies Fri 18-Mar-16 11:15:23

it is useful to be aware that there is a huge PR movement by Israel to deflect attention away from their "actions" by accusing critics of being anti Semitic. Remember when some of us spoke out about apartheid South Africa? We must speak up without fear if we know that what we are saying is right. Most Jews hate what is happening in Palestine and they voice their anger without fear. This is not a forum to make excuses for breaches of International Law.

TriciaF Fri 18-Mar-16 11:28:19

Many Israelis, and Jews elsewhere, are pro-Palestinian. Against the govt's. heavy-handed actions.
Many try to build bridges eg Daniel Barenboim's Divan Orchestra, mixed schools etc.
There doesn't seem to be any solution, the history of the conflict is so long and complicated.

Bubbe Fri 18-Mar-16 11:31:30

I share POGS and JennyB's concerns. Thank you for expressing them.

Anniebach Fri 18-Mar-16 11:38:31

I share the views of blueskies and TriciaF

POGS Fri 18-Mar-16 12:35:13

Being pro Palestinian is not the same as being Anti Semetic is it?

Is 'Israel Apartheid Week' Anti Semetic or not ? Is the call by some Labour councils to boycott Israeli goods Anti Semetic or not. The answer is possibly not but it does leave a nasty taste in the mouth for some but obviously not to others. When/where does the dividing line merge and Anti Semitism is seen as a perfectly acceptable measure to take when Israel is the subject of so much hatred in the eyes of some people and by activism.

I have said on threads before I believe Israel is totally at fault over the occupied territory. That does not make me Anti Semetic. If I refuse to share a debate/platform with someone 'because they are of Jewish birth'. I am in my opinion rightly accused of Anti Semitism. If I call somebody a 'Zio' , a Ku Klux Klan prefered terminology I think that is tantamount to Anti Semitism is it not? Anti Semitism is on the rise , not only in the UK but in many other countries. I am concentrating on the widely reported problems facing Labour and our universities as this is an obvious area to discuss.

The question is about Anti Semitism not whether Israel is right or wrong, nor whether or not Palestinian groups such as Hamas are right or wrong. Both have their own issues and neither can be seen as saints .

Castafiore Fri 18-Mar-16 13:44:33

It's EU policy that goods made in the occupied territories should not be labelled Made in Israel. It doesn't seem anti-semitic to agree that this is a good policy, and to boycott shops that sell goods labelled Made in Israel that are actually made in the occupied territories. Anti-semitism is surely something quite different, and something that should always be opposed. But opposition to illegal actions by the Israeli government, or by companies selling wrongly labelled goods, is not anti-Semitic. Such accusations make it hard to see a constructive way forward for everyone. Many Israelis have a far more nuanced and ethical position.