Gransnet forums

News & politics

Anti Semitism in Labour Party and Universities.

(631 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

POGS Thu 17-Mar-16 12:12:56

I am raising this as a separate conversation although it has been mentioned on another thread re the Muslim Female Councillors and reports of Mysogyny.

It is worrying to know Anti Semitism is reportedly rising in the UK . When a Political Party is facing accusations of Anti Semetism that becomes a major issue. Now my comment will be challenged but I for one have been asking how such blatent cases of Anti Semitism are being allowed in the UK. We have laws to handle it but they are not being used, why? I will most certainly be happy to say that I do not believe for one minute the majority of Labour MP's nor voters are Anti Semetic, quite the reverse, but is it time voices spoke out against Anti Semitism or at least understood it is an issue within some parts of the Labour Movement.

I have noticed this tendancy from certain Labour MP's and groups they belong to for many years but they were always under the radar and not thought 'influencial' enough, however times have changed. Labour run councils have used Anti Semetic behaviour over issues such as Flying the Palestinian Flag over Tower Hamlets , Calls for boycotting of Israeli goods, banning Jewish films etc. etc.

There is no doubt more interest being taken by the media over such matters and there are calls for Corbyn to show leadership over the actions of the Labour Party activism at Oxford University , indeed something is going radically wrong with our universities full stop an entire thread could be dedicated to that topic alone. I am not talking of racist tweets such as those made by MP's such as Dianne Abbot , Helen Goodman et al. Whilst they are relevant it would just dissolve into a tit for tat fest of he said she said to the left and right of politics. There are idiots in all party's !

I am not , and some will not believe a word of what I am about to say, trying to score a political point. I take my hat off to those Labour MP's who are speaking openly about this problem and calling for action from their Leader. This is not some right wing rag hyperbol taking place but there is something of a 'menacing ' tendency in some quarters of the Party and I hope those MP's who are doing their damnedest to openly stop it's progression do not fail or as some have eluded to run the risk of deselection for speaking out, that's another thread story too.

Penstemmon Mon 28-Mar-16 17:46:35

Yes! If the attutudes are racist they should not be party members and certainly not in any position to speak for the party. Why would anyone just 'dislike' a group of people?? You might dislike a person who is Jewish/Muslim/Black and that may not be racism but if you generally dislike any Jew/Muslim/black person that implies racism to me!confused

BeccaGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 28-Mar-16 17:46:41

Hi everyone - we have had a few reports about this thread now. We feel it would be a real shame to shut down the debate, so with that in mind, can we please keep things civil. Thank you all.

Penstemmon Mon 28-Mar-16 17:49:16

GNHQ I am trying hard to keep it a debate!!

Alea Mon 28-Mar-16 17:50:06

It has sailed pretty close to the wind on several occasions while still managing ever decreasing circles. A nautical first ?
hmmhmm

Anniebach Mon 28-Mar-16 18:05:13

The Labour Party who are accused of having anti Semitic members , so many it has caused a thread to be started on the subject. 2010 party leadership was held and two Jews received the highest number of votes - fellow MP's, unions, party members ,

Penstemmon Mon 28-Mar-16 18:10:50

Not disputing any of that Annie but if there are councillors, MPs or party officials who do have racist attitudes they need to go. The party needs to have a clear and unequivocal line on this.

obieone Mon 28-Mar-16 18:16:03

That does not mean it doesnt have anti Semitic members, as well you know.

Is dislike racism? Of course it is.

You say you didnt see the Muslim women thread, or did not really see it.
I have bumped it.

You need to not love the Labour Party. The Labour Party is not God. Nowhere close. No political party is.

Love your neighbour as yourself means loving Muslim women, loving Jews, loving Tory members! grin

obieone Mon 28-Mar-16 18:16:52

Post to Ab.

POGS Mon 28-Mar-16 18:18:28

Penstemmon

You have indeed played the thread ' fairly ' and debated/discussed with ' integrity ' I would like to acknowledge that point , so your post of 14.15 has not been lost in the ether by some posters.

Anniebach Mon 28-Mar-16 18:22:44

I do notice the usual smilie posted as the bitching is spoken

Penstemmon Mon 28-Mar-16 18:26:39

Thank you again POGS for the clarification. It is sometimes hard to know who people feel are being unreasonable etc. with time lags & crossed posts etc.
Racism is the one thing we should all unite against. The racist may start with one group but you can be certain it won't end there.

daphnedill Mon 28-Mar-16 18:31:31

Well said, Penstemmon.

rosesarered Mon 28-Mar-16 21:38:14

I'm afraid ab that obione is quite right, and loving your neighbour does indeed mean including Muslims and Jewish people and Tory voters in that command.

rosesarered Mon 28-Mar-16 21:44:06

We are talking about this issue with Labour because it's topical, but I would be the first to say get rid of any anti-semitic and racist MP's Councillors or advisors to ANY of our political parties.No ifs or buts.

Anniebach Mon 28-Mar-16 21:45:33

Rosesesrered , I am sorry you are afraid, I assure you if you allow the love of Christ into your heart you will find as I do that love of your fellow man regardless of race or creed will be easier for you , may I suggest you read St Mark's gospel. And the ice in your heart will melt

rosesarered Mon 28-Mar-16 21:53:13

That's why so many people find evangalists annoying, because they say things like that ab

rosesarered Mon 28-Mar-16 21:59:12

I would prefer to hear you say ' let's get rid of anti-semites and racists hiding within the Labour Party'..........will it happen?

Anniebach Mon 28-Mar-16 22:00:58

Rosesarered, you will find when you read St Mark that Christ said - if the world hates you remember it hated me first - and these words enable Christians to forgive when they face anger,bitterness and mockery

Ana Mon 28-Mar-16 22:01:47

Perhaps the love of your fellow man could even include tories, Annie - or is that a stretch too far? And all those people you call 'evil' should surely be included in your all-encompassing benevolence...

Anniebach Mon 28-Mar-16 22:07:52

Ana, I fear you don't understand the teachings , quite simply in worldly terms it means hate the sin but love the sinner ,I am sure now you understand

I think you and rosesesrered need a break from baiting and mocking , not healthy

rosesarered Mon 28-Mar-16 22:11:48

Like the post from you at 14.34.52 to me ab perhaps? That may come under the heading of mockery with an added smiley?

rosesarered Mon 28-Mar-16 22:13:30

Please cease quoting scriptures at us ab and keep to the subject of anti-semitism in the Labour Party.

POGS Mon 28-Mar-16 22:24:51

I prefer to listen to the words of George Orwell on pacifism.

"The result of this is that so-called peace propaganda is just as dishonest and intellectually disgusting as war propaganda. Like war propaganda it concentrates on putting forward a ' case ', obscuring the opponent' s point of view and avoiding questions".

Anniebach Mon 28-Mar-16 22:44:46

Rosesarered, you brought scripture into this this evening not I , please do not wriggle out of your baiting, accept you failed . You have started up this thread again just to bait, do excuse me I have genuine , honest posters to reply to, thank you.

rosesarered Mon 28-Mar-16 22:50:16

What are you going on about? The only failing around here is the fact that you won't comment on the subject in hand.
Read POGS words from Orwell .....