Gransnet forums

News & politics

Anti Semitism in Labour Party and Universities.

(631 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

POGS Thu 17-Mar-16 12:12:56

I am raising this as a separate conversation although it has been mentioned on another thread re the Muslim Female Councillors and reports of Mysogyny.

It is worrying to know Anti Semitism is reportedly rising in the UK . When a Political Party is facing accusations of Anti Semetism that becomes a major issue. Now my comment will be challenged but I for one have been asking how such blatent cases of Anti Semitism are being allowed in the UK. We have laws to handle it but they are not being used, why? I will most certainly be happy to say that I do not believe for one minute the majority of Labour MP's nor voters are Anti Semetic, quite the reverse, but is it time voices spoke out against Anti Semitism or at least understood it is an issue within some parts of the Labour Movement.

I have noticed this tendancy from certain Labour MP's and groups they belong to for many years but they were always under the radar and not thought 'influencial' enough, however times have changed. Labour run councils have used Anti Semetic behaviour over issues such as Flying the Palestinian Flag over Tower Hamlets , Calls for boycotting of Israeli goods, banning Jewish films etc. etc.

There is no doubt more interest being taken by the media over such matters and there are calls for Corbyn to show leadership over the actions of the Labour Party activism at Oxford University , indeed something is going radically wrong with our universities full stop an entire thread could be dedicated to that topic alone. I am not talking of racist tweets such as those made by MP's such as Dianne Abbot , Helen Goodman et al. Whilst they are relevant it would just dissolve into a tit for tat fest of he said she said to the left and right of politics. There are idiots in all party's !

I am not , and some will not believe a word of what I am about to say, trying to score a political point. I take my hat off to those Labour MP's who are speaking openly about this problem and calling for action from their Leader. This is not some right wing rag hyperbol taking place but there is something of a 'menacing ' tendency in some quarters of the Party and I hope those MP's who are doing their damnedest to openly stop it's progression do not fail or as some have eluded to run the risk of deselection for speaking out, that's another thread story too.

POGS Tue 12-Apr-16 10:26:28

Pardon

daphnedill Tue 12-Apr-16 13:24:42

rosesarered, How can you say there's a 'lack of interest'? This is page 26 and there have been over 600 replies! I expect everybody's had their say. Until Baroness Royall's report is published, we don't really have too many facts.

I've read the links people have posted and most of them come back to a few isolated incidents and general criticisms. I do not accept that criticism of the current Israeli government is the same as antisemiticism. Nevertheless, it does seem that there have been some incidents of pure antisemiticism. The people involved should be kicked out of the Labour Party and/or prosecuted, as should anybody whether or not connected to a political party.

There has been so much confusing of issues and I think most people would like to see some facts.

rosesarered Tue 12-Apr-16 17:07:10

Lol. posted on wrong thread ( should have been the ' breast ironing' one.)

POGS Sun 01-May-16 00:17:05

As there is another thread started by Ana on the recent Ken Livingstone/Naz Shah debacle over Anti Semitic rhetoric I wasn't going to bother to 'bump' this thread but it is going to end up with repeat posts of the same nature .

I thought some who may not have noticed this thread might be interested as a lot of detail has been covered already.

Apologies to Ana if I have trodden on her toes but I read the other thread and saw the direction it was taking and I thought some posters might find it interesting to read this one also as the two are most definitely talking of the same thing.

daphnedill Sun 01-May-16 01:18:29

Are these people anti-Semitic too?

www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/apr/29/labour-antisemitism-and-where-jeremy-corbyn-goes-from-here