Gransnet forums

AIBU

Kids having kids & unproteced sex

(158 Posts)
norose4 Sat 20-May-17 16:57:13

With more knowledge & access to birth control, what do Gransnetters think of the increasing numbers of young girls getting pregnant & not knowing which man (boy)may be the father & are often the result of one night stands & who then go on to repeat the process, sometimes again & again,has society let them down by somehow sending out the wrong message & woman's lib has somehow backfired?

norose4 Sat 20-May-17 20:34:11

I will try again , that's what I was trying to say Anna about the sexualzing of woman that still goes on even in these liberated times

trisher Sat 20-May-17 20:38:50

Actually the suffragettes- who were the women who broke windows, committed acts of arson and set bombs, were imprisoned and force fed, were much more radical than most people think. And shouldn't be confused with the suffragists who thought women should have the vote but stayed within the bounds of ordinary behaviour.
They might well be very upset that so few women are standing up for the poor and oppressed and not acting. They believed that men could not be trusted to look after the needs of women and the poor and men cared more for property than anything else (Goodness knows what they would make of Mrs May)

annsixty Sat 20-May-17 20:43:22

If many of you lived in Stockport and had access to the statistics at ou local hospital you might change your mind but to be honest I am not sure that the pregnancies are unplanned
but most of them are very young and without partners.

durhamjen Sat 20-May-17 20:43:50

Don't we need more children to be born to pay tax for us grans to spend on our old age pensions and care homes?

rosesarered Sat 20-May-17 20:43:57

I expect they would be highly pleased that a woman had made it to PM.

annsixty Sat 20-May-17 20:47:11

WTH do suffragettes have to do with teenage pregnancies?

trisher Sat 20-May-17 20:47:57

Unfortunately a woman who cannot be trusted to look after the poor and oppressed. They would think her worse than a man.

norose4 Sat 20-May-17 20:58:49

But will there be any jobs for them?, The sufferagetes fought for women's rights, & they would probably be horrified that some of our vulnerable girls only feel validated if they please a man.

trisher Sat 20-May-17 21:13:38

Vulnerable girls are totally different to emancipated women. Any woman who only feels validated if she pleases a man would seem to be missing out on so much and this is not limited to young women. There are plenty of older women in relationships which are based on them subordinating their needs to their partner's. It isn't necessarily 'pleasing a man' to have lots of different partners it is often that the women simply enjoy having sex.

Ana Sat 20-May-17 21:13:50

What a ridiculous post, durhamjen.

And no, of course you can't get pregnant by phone sex trisher, butboys encouraging girls to take photos of themselves and their bodies isn't really what the suffragettes would have wanted, was it?

durhamjen Sat 20-May-17 22:17:39

Of course it was, Ana. It was supposed to be!

phoenix Sat 20-May-17 22:19:51

I think we'll have fog by tea time.

durhamjen Sat 20-May-17 22:21:15

We had hailstones this afternoon! Outside temperature was 15 degrees, too.

rosesarered Sat 20-May-17 22:25:38

Phoenix grin

stillaliveandkicking Sat 20-May-17 22:33:10

Goodness, you're getting a bashing here which is pretty unfair as usual.

Figures aside, yes Norose I do wince when I see, what I class as still a child either pregnant or with a baby/child. It is such an all consuming hard thing to do. I was 35 when I had my son as a single parent and it was the best yet the most challenging thing I've ever done even at that age.

valeriej43 Sat 20-May-17 23:05:11

I think i know what norose is getting at,times have changed, and if a girl in the 50s or 60s or even before had a baby out of wedlock it would be frowned upon and she would be ostracised, and most likely have to have the baby adopted
In those days girls were taught to say no, even though of course some didnt,
There was no contraception for women, and if the men didnt take precautions a girl could end up pregnant
I also agree that we see kids having kids
I see plenty here with several to different men, and some very young,a lot dont have patience with the child or children nd you can hear them swearing at them,
I visited a place a few years ago where the parents,some very young wee sat on their doorsteps drinking while the babies were running around outside in just nappies ,it was terrible to see,
Young unmarried mothers are more accepted today thats all

norose4 Sat 20-May-17 23:45:51

Thanks Valeriej43 yes that was what I was trying to say. & well done Stillalive&kicking, yes exactly Valerie,time again I have heard young girls say He won't use a condom, I wasn't on the pill& I didn't want to loose him , so they go ahead , end up pregnant & loose him anyway & said young man usually moves on to her best friend .somewhere along the way from the 60s & now we have failed to instil confidence in younger girls to look after themselves not just to prevent an unwanted pregnancy but to protect themselves from sexually transmitted diseases which are on the rise again.

durhamjen Sat 20-May-17 23:48:43

Where do you go to overhear all this, norose?
I never hear anything like that.

norose4 Sat 20-May-17 23:50:42

Working in youth club, youth supporter at school.

phoenix Sat 20-May-17 23:52:37

stillaliveandkicking the first line of your post of 22.33 does make me wonder what you enjoy/like about GN, as you imply, no change that, state that a "bashing here which is pretty unfair as usual"

norose4 Sat 20-May-17 23:52:56

Also from having sons & having their mates of both sexes around to our open home, also marrying an adopted person with a multitude of half siblings

norose4 Sun 21-May-17 00:01:56

And probably a bit of what happened to woman's lib , it hasn't filtered down to many of the youngsters I meet or if it has not in the way it was meant to.

Eloethan Sun 21-May-17 00:27:12

I don't see what "women's lib" has got to do with teenage pregnancies and one night stands. There have always been unmarried mothers even though they were looked down upon and sometimes abandoned by their families. Goodness knows, I wouldn't want to go back to those days.

I see feminism as seeking to empower women, for example to get a good education to enable them to support themselves financially - as well as raising their expectations in relation to their partnerships with men, eg more sharing of child care and domestic chores.

I don't think feminism encourages women to risk pregnancy and STIs by having unprotected sex. My feeling is that it is often commercial interests that influence young women's behaviour - raunchy adverts and pop videos, etc. - which increasing numbers of feminists campaign against.

Whilst there are still unplanned teenage pregnancies, my understanding is that there has been a significant decline. One of the factors that seems to have been identified in relation to teenage pregnancies is poor education and job prospects - young women who have interests and aspirations appear to be less likely to become single mums.

Also, there are plenty of married women with children who either leave their relationships or who are left. Is that down to feminism too?

paddyann Sun 21-May-17 00:41:55

It depends what you think are children ,my great grandparents married 2 days after her 16th birthday way back in 1878 they had 3 children in quick succession and were expecting a fourth when he was tragically killed in an accident.Great gran went on to marry twice after that and had a total of 9 children ,so she was a single mother twice .She repeated her mothers experience , married young her own father , a policeman died before she was born and her mother remarried too .So its something that has always happened ,single mothers dont always set out to be that way...even nowadays .We shouldn't judge what we dont know .I'm just pleased they dont drag these babies away from their mothers like they did until recent times and give them away for adoption or send them abroad as cheap labour

Starlady Sun 21-May-17 04:34:56

Having multiple partners just as some men do is probably a result of women's lib, not a move away from it. Not a good result, ino, but a result just the same. But having unprotected sex is most likely due to ignorance and fear of saying "no" to a cute boy who won't use a condom. There may also be some plain carelessness involved, I think, or drugs or alcohol.

Of course, it may also be because being an unwed mother isn't a stigma anymore. That's a good thing, I believe, but it has its downside, and this situation your describing, norose is it.

Good to hear it's on the decrease though.