Gransnet forums

AIBU

Phones etc and manners

(111 Posts)
ClareAB Fri 21-Aug-20 12:54:51

My OH drives me mad when, in the middle of a conversation, he picks up his phone or computer and starts scrolling, answering messages etc. It feels like he's simply not interested, disengaged and bored.
It has got to the stage where if he picks up his phone and looks at it whilst I'm talking, I simply walk away and tell him I think it's rude.
He either doesn't get it, or simply doesn't care. Am I being unreasonable to find this aggravating and rude?

payens1 Sat 22-Aug-20 10:32:36

Our chemist has a brilliant sign on the counter "we can see your call is important to you, so we won't interrupt by serving you"

Sarnia Sat 22-Aug-20 10:33:36

I feel annoyed when I see a customer using their phone when they are being served by an assistant or cashier. I would be tempted to sit there until they had either finished their chat or got the message that I wasn't impressed before serving them.

Notinthemanual Sat 22-Aug-20 10:49:41

It is rude. Next time he does this, text him and said you'd like a word when he has a minute. I don't use face book, but I'm guessing if you posted that on his page it might be even more effective.
I had a friend that would invite me to the pub and then check in with everyone else she knew on her phone. I put kindle on my phone and read a book while she kept up with her social networking. She was miffed!

Carolpaint Sat 22-Aug-20 10:52:14

A famous quote is “He is just not in to you”. Go, it does not have to be permanent, but see how he manages your absence, about four months should do it. Your might enjoy his total absence?

Juicylucy Sat 22-Aug-20 10:52:33

He clearly doesn’t care what you have to say, so off he goes to his phone as it’s more interesting. If it was me I’d stop telling him anything then when something happens and he said well you never told me , then you can tell him why. Stop putting yourself through it when you know what he’s going to do and it annoys you, or what others say take phone away first then talk to him then hand it back afterwards like he’s a child.
Unfortunately it’s the way of the world.

MerylStreep Sat 22-Aug-20 11:02:34

PipandFin
Please continue to take your mobile with you when you go out. And if you haven't, please put in ice 1 & ice 2 numbers.
These are numbers the emergency services can contact if you have an accident etc and are unconscious.

paddyanne Sat 22-Aug-20 11:30:15

I got rid of my phone a couple of years ago ,sadly we have a friend to puts our names on her posts from anywhere we go together ...so its with Mr and Mrs Paddy at venue .If I wanted folk to know my comings and goings I'd tell them myself .No matter how many times I explained it to her she still does it .

Joesoap Sat 22-Aug-20 11:31:39

Very rude, and very irritating. My Husband is obsessed with his phone, as soon as he comes home he takes out his mobile and can sit any length of time looking at everything, FB, texts, stupid videos people have sent,I often think I am invisible,I have stopped talking when he is like this as he doesnt hear/ listen.I make sure when I have something to say, he hasnt got his phone near him,this is very seldom I might add. So many rude people about because of mobile phones,its ridiculous.

grandtanteJE65 Sat 22-Aug-20 11:33:03

We are many who find this kind of behaviour very rude, but we never hear the other point of view.

It is as if those who check their phones constantly have given up trying to explain why they do so.

It would be interesting to hear their reasoning.

Kryptonite Sat 22-Aug-20 11:35:20

That's so rude. Tell him plainly. I refuse to talk when my husband used to do this. My husband's a good man, but spends a lot of time scrolling or on fb. Even our grown up kids have had words with him about this obsession! He cannot see he has taken on the behaviours we used to criticise so much in others! I've told him that he is not 'here' when he spends so long doing this, while he 'virtually' talks to all sorts of people, and we might as well be in separate rooms. Often he'll pick up his phone as a signal that he's bored with what we're watching (often my choice), and I have that annoying movement of the finger swipe out of the corner of my eye. He tries to put the phone down more often lately, but the 'retraining' is hard work! I shall persevere. Sometimes he'll leave the phone out in the hall now so can still hear it if it rings.

Tapdance6 Sat 22-Aug-20 11:45:22

I have a mobile phone which I haven't used in the last eighteen months. My children always ask why I don't use it. I tell them they are taking over peoples lives and I like the face to face conversations or the landline. I don't want to be disturbed when I am out and about.

seadragon Sat 22-Aug-20 11:47:26

grandtanteJE65

We are many who find this kind of behaviour very rude, but we never hear the other point of view.

It is as if those who check their phones constantly have given up trying to explain why they do so.

It would be interesting to hear their reasoning.

I'd heard somewhere about FOMO: 'Fear of Missing Out' - as one explanation of why so many young people are apparently addicted to constantly checking their mobiles. I recently discussed this with a 19 year old who said she had recognized she had this addiction and had cut down on her dependency. We chatted about her career plans and her current job as well for quite some time. We were out having lunch with her parents at the time who were old friends of mine. As soon as the focus was no longer wholly on her, however, she got out her mobile and spent the rest of the time on it....

Rocknroll5me Sat 22-Aug-20 11:48:30

I was in a art gallery coffee shop having hurried lunch by myself and throughly enjoying my own company and eating my toasted ciabatta when my phone rang..I knew it would be my daughter hassling me to hurry up and anyone else even less important and happily ignored. And then a man from another table came over to tell me my phone was ringing. what a cheek. It's like you are not allowed to ignore. I just said. I know. He just looked at me as if I was madly selfish. weird isn't it. I remember first being annoyed by this when I used to give someone a lift and they sat next to me in the car on their phone texting etc. Really rude. Should at least excuse themselves and then give attentive company if needed on the drive.
So OP when he does that just say RUDE and walk away. Some people. Of course one's phone is often more entertaining than present company but it is very bad manners to make that obvious.
When I am on a dog walk with my daughter and either of us get out our phone we get an earful. And if necessary to use it will explain...you know roofer calling that kind of thing. We have both noticed that her husband always calls when we are on a walk...he's a bit competitive and if I ring when she is with husband she tells me immediately and I get off. OR she puts it on loudspeaker in the car. Which is sometime really good idea.
Anyway good manners is to make another feel comfortable and your hubby is definitely not doing that.

DiscoDancer1975 Sat 22-Aug-20 11:59:56

After 40 years of often being ignored by my husband when I speak to him, ( he just gets so absorbed in what he’s doing, it’s not deliberate), I can finally get my own back because I found GN!?.

Florida12 Sat 22-Aug-20 12:01:12

Esspee is so right, it is addictive behaviour just as alcohol, gambling, drugs. Just as I am on it now!
I agree with others, when he picks up the phone just walk away.
I have done it, just stopped the conversation abruptly when they answer the phone, and when they ask, “oh, what were you saying?” I just replied, “oh, I can’t remember. Couldn’t have been very interesting anyway”. They may not show it, but they do get the message.

annodomini Sat 22-Aug-20 12:05:27

I managed to leave my phone at home when I went away for two weeks. I hardly missed it at all!

honeyrose Sat 22-Aug-20 12:07:03

I must admit i’ve been using my phone much more now that I’m on Gransnet! I do think it’s rude, though, to give preference to your phone when you’re in the company of someone else. Unless it’s a phone call you have to take - leave the phone alone! It’s become like a life support system to some people and it’s ignorant behaviour.

Theoddbird Sat 22-Aug-20 12:08:54

Then do it...don't talk about it. Just end conversation and walk away. Do it every time and I mean every time.

Caro57 Sat 22-Aug-20 12:09:59

It’s rude - stop talking........or say “Oh goodness what’s happened - is there a problem?” - I tried that with my DH and when the answer was “no” I asked if I might be given as much time as the phone gets.
A funny and I apologise if it causes offence: friend of mine was out for meal with son (age about 30) she put her phone on the table son said “mum put your phone away - it’s like me sitting with my out”!!! It’s become the way to get the message across in our family now!!

DotMH1901 Sat 22-Aug-20 12:15:28

It is rude - I loathe the way mobile phones take over - I have told my daughter and son and my grandchildren that it is rude to do something else when someone is having a conversation with you but it seems to be socially acceptable these days.

LightAmber Sat 22-Aug-20 12:18:58

I'm in a WhatsApp group with my craft friends and get a quiet ”ding” when someone posts something. If I'm doing something I tend to ignore it but my husband will get quite agitated that I'm not looking to see what's been said.

It's usually a picture of a recent craft make so not time-conscious! I do catch up in longer sessions just not every single notification!

Starblaze Sat 22-Aug-20 12:21:16

Social media is addictive.... Many many people suffer from it and don't even know how ratty they get when they can't have their fix. It's a phenomena

Cabbie21 Sat 22-Aug-20 12:26:42

My daughter is always checking her phone. Admittedly she is self employed and it is often for work, otherwise she will just put it down and ignore it. Yesterday we actually spent an hour together when she was sitting down chatting to me and hardly used her phone at all - miracle.
DH does not use his much to initiate activity but checks every text or message that comes in and it takes priority over everything else. I hate it when he does that when I am talking to him, or when he is eating a meal.

NanaPlenty Sat 22-Aug-20 12:28:43

It’s rude. My husband snaps at me if my phone pings with a message yet he will
Listen to things on Facebook with the sound up! Sick of saying use your ear phones. Devices are taking over our world ?

Mealybug Sat 22-Aug-20 12:31:05

On the rare occasions that hubby's brother visits he does the same. He will sit down and ramble on and on and complain about everything, then when we try to say anything he changes the subject and picks his phone up. When he's said his piece he leaves with no interaction whatsoever, it's so rude.