Gransnet forums

AIBU

Brexit is the cause of the shortages

(314 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

MaggieTulliver Mon 04-Oct-21 07:30:56

The foreign media seem to think we only have ourselves to blame for the current shortages because we voted for Brexit and I totally agree. The current posturing of this hopeless government says it all and the fact that Boris is offering temporary visas to foreign drivers is pathetic and an admission that it’s Brexit that has caused the current problems. Please try to convince me that Brexit has been good for our country - I’ve been angry about it since 2016! www.theguardian.com/business/2021/oct/03/only-yourselves-to-blame-uks-shortages-seen-from-abroad

Whitewavemark2 Tue 05-Oct-21 09:51:53

JaneJudge

so the 20% are all in the same region

Not a pint to be had.

I am so frustrated as on dry days I need to get into the garden to do the autumn cut back but the compost bin isn’t been emptied for at least 6 weeks or more and I can’t take the stuff to the tip because I haven’t got any petrol.

I’ve got bags and bags of rubbish - recycling an issue as well - and the shed is now full floor to ceiling - start on the garage next. Well I am encroaching on the space already.

The recycling came once a couple of weeks ago but I had so much I couldn’t get it all into the bin.

Give me petrol and I can sort myself out

Grrrrr

Urmstongran Tue 05-Oct-21 10:27:38

“Business ‘drunk on cheap labour”

Tories attack industry as Cabinet ministers blame shortages on firms’ failure to prepare for Brexit.

BUSINESSES have become “drunk on cheap labour”, Cabinet ministers believe, as the Government insisted industry must shoulder the responsibility for petrol and food shortages.

A series of ministers used the Conservative Party Conference as a platform to criticise firms, with several members of the Cabinet understood to be furious at what they see as companies trying to shift the blame on to the Government.

Would this help give you optimism Scones? Especially as it’s from the Tories - always supposedly hand in glove with business? Brexit will mean the end of cheap labour. This will take time but it WILL happen. Too many (admittedly big) companies not wanting to invest in training but taking the easier & cheaper option of taking on workers from Europe - which admittedly was a steady, inexpensive stream of workers. It’s part of the levelling up process.

JaneJudge Tue 05-Oct-21 10:31:34

Our green bin is actually being collected in a fortnight....just the once hmm We are not allowed to have garden fires (or fireworks grin )either because of all the thatched cottages in the village

GillT57 Tue 05-Oct-21 13:17:31

I agree with your point about no longer relying on cheap overseas labour Urmonstongran, but we didn't have to leave the EU to pay better wages or improve working conditions for employees, this was a decision made by the employers themselves, by unscrupulous agencies providing labour at illegal and exploitative rates.

Urmstongran Tue 05-Oct-21 14:10:54

Of course you’re right Gill57. Exactly so. But faced with a (then) unlimited supply of workers from Europe many building contractors, hauliers and others chose he cheaper, quicker and easier option.

Hopefully we will see a turnaround in this over the next few months.

M0nica Tue 05-Oct-21 14:23:05

Urmstongran You are an incurable optimist.

Alegrias1 Tue 05-Oct-21 14:24:03

The company I worked for employed people from all over the EU, including the UK. Wherever they came from, the employees got the same salary for the same work. It is completely wrong to imagine that there was a continuous stream of overseas workers happy to work for less than their UK colleagues might have accepted.

Unless someone could produce data to disprove this?

MamaCaz Tue 05-Oct-21 14:28:50

And we were frequently told that the overseas workers were net contributors to our tax system. You have to be on a reasonable salary for that to be the case!

Franbern Tue 05-Oct-21 14:36:16

Could Kadinsky or Urmongstan, or any other poster who so supports Brexit please list one YES, JUST ONE benefit that we have got from this action.
So many people listing the problems it has caused.......dozens of those and more.

Urmstongran Tue 05-Oct-21 15:21:08

I already have, up thread.
?

Urmstongran Tue 05-Oct-21 15:24:55

M0nica

Urmstongran You are an incurable optimist.

You’re probably right MOnica. It’s a failing, I know. And irritating to some.
But living my life this way ensures I feel happier than many seem to.
It’s better than the alternative imo.
?

Alegrias1 Tue 05-Oct-21 15:31:27

Alegrias1

^I guess you’re not in the Red Wall area Alegrias. Wages going up will be a great level-upper. A Brexit positive surely and an important one at that.^

To be fair to Urmstongran at least you have tried to give a benefit, which is what the thread asked for.

Now, perhaps you can explain how these wages will magically be increased? For reference, we discussed on another thread yesterday how the overseas workers were being used a scapegoats for paying low wages, and so getting rid of them isn't the answer to the problem.

For Franbern.

Sadly, no mechanism for achieving this entirely laudable objective has been put forward.

Callistemon Tue 05-Oct-21 16:28:39

Price rises.

Scones Tue 05-Oct-21 17:15:18

Thank you Urmstongran I certainly do hope that Brexit will mean a fair living wage and vocational training for all. What I struggle to understand though is how the points based system of immigration allowing highly skilled and therefore highly paid EU workers to enter the country will do this. Will the highly paid jobs be taken by EU workers leaving traditionally low paid jobs for us?

No immigrant workers won't mean higher wages without serious structural change. The fruit picking problems of recent times show that prices are so low that if EU workers do not come to the country fruit rots in the field. British workers can't or won't work for the pay offered and we and supermarkets seemingly won't pay higher prices. How is that to be resolved? Some work, throughout history, throughout the whole world, has always attracted and relied upon lower paid, immigrant workers. This has been an essential contributor to successful nations - not least of all the UK and USA. It's led to thriving countries not an overall reduction in wages as far as I can tell.

With regard to training, well Brexit put an end to the European Regional Development Fund and the European Social Fund. In the 7 years to 2020 11 billion Euros came to the UK to fund workplace development and training...now we have lost this. Do the government have a plan to replace this? If they do then my hope will grow.

I will try to have hope, but as far as I can see the best way to plan for change is to have a clear direction, structure, rules, guidance and funding rather than to pull the carpet from under people, watch them fall to the ground and scrabble to get back on their feet. It seems to me that's what we're doing with fuel and HGV drivers now.

I would also have more faith if I thought the government were truly committed to fairer pay for all, but the recent treatment of NHS staff and the use of interns within their own organisation belies this.

You're right though, progress won't happen overnight and I wait with you and take note of your optimism.

Kapitan Tue 05-Oct-21 18:13:14

More agitprop from the remainer losers. Get over it, we are not in the EU. Show some British spirit instead.

GillT57 Tue 05-Oct-21 18:20:58

Kapitan

More agitprop from the remainer losers. Get over it, we are not in the EU. Show some British spirit instead.

I was going to ignore your pointless comments,but you know what I am sick and tired of silly people like you telling me I am lacking in British spirit, it is because I was once proud of where I live that I now despair at what you have done, and for no recognised purpose.

MamaCaz Tue 05-Oct-21 18:31:17

Well said, GillT57

Curlywhirly Tue 05-Oct-21 18:38:02

Kapitan

Well, I suppose it was only a matter of time before someone on here made the 'we won, you lost, get over it' type of comment. I despair.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 05-Oct-21 18:45:35

I see the destruction of pigs has begun.

I just hope it is being carried out humanely.

The government has done NOTHING to help at all.

A farmers representative was on this evening and was very scathing of Johnson, especially after the Marr interview.

Curlywhirly Tue 05-Oct-21 19:36:18

Whitewavemark2

I see the destruction of pigs has begun.

I just hope it is being carried out humanely.

The government has done NOTHING to help at all.

A farmers representative was on this evening and was very scathing of Johnson, especially after the Marr interview.

To be honest, I would be surprised if any farmers or fishermen who voted Tory in the last election, would do so in the next. They are certainly facing challenging times.

JaneJudge Tue 05-Oct-21 19:37:10

poor bloody pigs sad

ayse Tue 05-Oct-21 19:42:01

JaneJudge

poor bloody pigs sad

What a shocking waste of hard worked for resources and yes poor pigs. It’s a bit like sending old people back to care homes to die of Covid.

Scones Tue 05-Oct-21 20:30:50

Kapitan

Everyone on here is showing British spirit aren't they? Nobody has come on here to say they're not that bothered about what happens to the country. Everyone's totally passionate about wanting the best for this country and our fellow countrymen and women whatever their stance on Brexit.

What does 'getting over it' actually entail? Remaining silent with tail between legs? Waving flag at Albert Hall? Spurning croissants?

Go on Kapitan, show some British spirit and give us a benefit of Brexit. Blow our minds and give us a benefit of Brexit for farmers. Or for pigs.

Urmstongran Tue 05-Oct-21 20:42:59

What a pleasant and complimentary reply Scones. Thank you so much.

Fingers and toes crossed eh?

vegansrock Tue 05-Oct-21 20:57:42

Slaughtering pigs on the farm will not be humane. It will be prodding and poking them and cutting their throats in the sight and smell of others they will be terrified. At least in the gas chambers they are put to sleep and don’t know what is happening. A big win for Brexit.☹️