Gransnet forums

AIBU

Brexit is the cause of the shortages

(314 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

MaggieTulliver Mon 04-Oct-21 07:30:56

The foreign media seem to think we only have ourselves to blame for the current shortages because we voted for Brexit and I totally agree. The current posturing of this hopeless government says it all and the fact that Boris is offering temporary visas to foreign drivers is pathetic and an admission that it’s Brexit that has caused the current problems. Please try to convince me that Brexit has been good for our country - I’ve been angry about it since 2016! www.theguardian.com/business/2021/oct/03/only-yourselves-to-blame-uks-shortages-seen-from-abroad

M0nica Tue 05-Oct-21 21:03:12

Kapitan crowing over a group of people you have defeated is really very unBritish. We have always been known for being discrete winners and gallant losers.

Your attitude falls into neither category. It seems that to keep our national character, we are, actually, better off in the EU confused

rosie1959 Tue 05-Oct-21 21:04:17

vegansrock

Slaughtering pigs on the farm will not be humane. It will be prodding and poking them and cutting their throats in the sight and smell of others they will be terrified. At least in the gas chambers they are put to sleep and don’t know what is happening. A big win for Brexit.☹️

I have no expertise or experience but farmers care for their animals I cannot imagine them putting them through any more stress than they can avoid

Urmstongran Tue 05-Oct-21 21:28:33

Ms Scott, a Yorkshire pig farmer said today: “The retailers are just filling their shelves with foreign stuff. It’s criminal that we are going to be forced to make a decision and kill healthy animals for waste.”

- Why are Tesco’s, Sainsbury’s et al transporting pork from other countries in containers when we have our own delicious product on our doorstep? This problem is multi-faceted it seems.

M0nica Tue 05-Oct-21 22:37:29

Urmstongran The reason the supermarkets are selling foreign pork is because it comes in ready butchered and packaged. We lack the abattoir workers, the butchers and the lorry drivers to prepare the pork that could replace foreign pork on supermarket shelves.

Farmers could, of course shoot their pigs and then deliver the unprocessed pigs to the supermarkets, but that would cause all kinds of problems.

Lincslass Tue 05-Oct-21 23:06:00

Urmstongran

Ms Scott, a Yorkshire pig farmer said today: “The retailers are just filling their shelves with foreign stuff. It’s criminal that we are going to be forced to make a decision and kill healthy animals for waste.”

- Why are Tesco’s, Sainsbury’s et al transporting pork from other countries in containers when we have our own delicious product on our doorstep? This problem is multi-faceted it seems.

This lady wouldn’t touch pork unless it was from the UK. Luckily our two local butchers continue to have whole carcasses delivered, from local farms, and butcher them in store.

vegansrock Wed 06-Oct-21 05:50:46

Supermarkets are replacing British pork with cheaper imports - so not such a Brexit bonus. This will mean many British farmers will just go out of business - so no higher wages there. The higher wages soundbite is one of the only straw clutching unproven benefits that “may” come to some U.K. workers but definitely won’t come to all - what about nurses and carers and street cleaners - will their wages suddenly increase ? - no, because they are in the public sector . Interesting that this is the only justification some politicians are now finding for Brexit since they can’t gloss over the numerous downsides. You can keep polishing the turd but it remains a turd.

vegansrock Wed 06-Oct-21 06:14:44

Transforming Britain into a high wage economy by taking us through so many supply chain shortages is such a brilliant strategy I wonder why the Tories only mentioned this about 2 weeks ago.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 06-Oct-21 07:16:41

There is lots of British Pork in the shops Co/Op, Waitrose, M & S, Aldi and local butchers to name just a few.

If people didn’t buy imported pork products then the shops would have to source British meat.

Urmstongran Wed 06-Oct-21 08:01:12

True GG13 we bought a tray of British pork chops from Aldi yesterday.

Surely all this about abattoirs highlights the need for home grown workers to train up here? It doesn’t make sense to (a) keep on importing butchers from Europe to do the job then (b) importing their pig meat when we have our own.

Urmstongran Wed 06-Oct-21 08:32:28

Boris needs to implement a higher minimum wage to level up then.

A independent bar owner here that we know told us he’s making money ‘hand over fist’. But when you think about it he’s probably paying his staff the £8+ an hour wage. Maybe being forced to ‘level up’ by sharing some of his profit margin is the way forward. It’s time to value our workers more.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 06-Oct-21 08:36:34

I just love this newly discovered “let’s value the workers” mantra.

Who believes the Tories?

GrannyGravy13 Wed 06-Oct-21 08:37:20

Urmstongran

Boris needs to implement a higher minimum wage to level up then.

A independent bar owner here that we know told us he’s making money ‘hand over fist’. But when you think about it he’s probably paying his staff the £8+ an hour wage. Maybe being forced to ‘level up’ by sharing some of his profit margin is the way forward. It’s time to value our workers more.

Totally agree.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 06-Oct-21 08:38:22

Whitewavemark2

Who believes the Tories?

I would have thought that everybody would be in favour of paying folks a living wage ?

mokryna Wed 06-Oct-21 08:53:43

M0nica

Urmstongran The reason the supermarkets are selling foreign pork is because it comes in ready butchered and packaged. We lack the abattoir workers, the butchers and the lorry drivers to prepare the pork that could replace foreign pork on supermarket shelves.

Farmers could, of course shoot their pigs and then deliver the unprocessed pigs to the supermarkets, but that would cause all kinds of problems.

That will mean because of a strong demand from the UK, prices will go up in my local market, not that a buy a lot of meat. Are you importing the French sausage?

Urmstongran Wed 06-Oct-21 08:54:11

Me WWmk2. In itself I’ve always believed it.
The Tories? Not so much to be honest.
But Boris?
Definitely. I think he’s a libertarian more than a Tory like Cameron and May.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 06-Oct-21 09:17:01

I agree with you that Mr.Johnson is a Libertarian at heart, which is why he struggled with lockdowns and Covid which meant taking away people’s freedom/liberty.

Daisymae Wed 06-Oct-21 09:22:35

It's ironic, but the Tories are not styling themselves as the party of the lower paid, now promoting an increase in the minimum wage. It will be increased, wages are going to have to rise, basic supply and demand. However people will still not flock to these jobs because they are not in their area of the country and they will find work elsewhere. More permits will be issued to foreign workers who will eventually forgive us and be lured back by the wages hike. Prices will rise inevitably. But that's what Brexit was about - we all pay more? Or maybe that wasn't actually mentioned on the bus.....

Whitewavemark2 Wed 06-Oct-21 09:32:53

GrannyGravy13

Whitewavemark2

Who believes the Tories?

I would have thought that everybody would be in favour of paying folks a living wage ?

That’s not what I said though is it?

GrannyGravy13 Wed 06-Oct-21 09:34:54

Whitewavenark2 what did you say/mean then?

Whitewavemark2 Wed 06-Oct-21 09:41:21

Value as in not just cash, but in protection with good regulation. Not encouraging long hours driving. Protection from unscrupulous employers. That sort of thing.

The Tories do not have a good track record and have consistently voted against these sort of regulations. Together with now being intent on repealing the HR act.

Remember the mantra “Bonfire of the regulations”?

No they do not value the worker. Never have, never will.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 06-Oct-21 09:46:32

This

"Everybody who warned Project Fear was going to happen was shouted down by the people now in power.

"Before your very eyes the Government are saying the predictions were right - and it was part of our plan."

@mrjamesob

MaizieD Wed 06-Oct-21 10:15:58

Whitewavemark2

This

"Everybody who warned Project Fear was going to happen was shouted down by the people now in power.

"Before your very eyes the Government are saying the predictions were right - and it was part of our plan."

@mrjamesob

The video that goes with that tweet is illuminating.

We on GNet are very familiar with the strange phenomenon of having 'Project Fear' shouted at us when we pointed out the probable consequences of Brexit (as per the government's own Yellow Hammer document) while being told that it was never expected to be easy. Schrodinger's Brexit, really..

twitter.com/LBC/status/1445378612585185282

MamaCaz Wed 06-Oct-21 10:27:29

MaizieD

Whitewavemark2

This

@mrjamesob

The video that goes with that tweet is illuminating.

We on GNet are very familiar with the strange phenomenon of having 'Project Fear' shouted at us when we pointed out the probable consequences of Brexit (as per the government's own Yellow Hammer document) while being told that it was never expected to be easy. Schrodinger's Brexit, really..

twitter.com/LBC/status/1445378612585185282

I wish I was as articulate as he is. He is saying exactly what I have wanted to say all week!

Whitewavemark2 Wed 06-Oct-21 11:19:20

Businesses including the Brexit support next ceo are telling the government that the only way to solve the staff shortage issue is through a good solid visa system.

GillT57 Wed 06-Oct-21 12:09:59

Whitewavemark2

Businesses including the Brexit support next ceo are telling the government that the only way to solve the staff shortage issue is through a good solid visa system.

These loudmouth Brexit supporters like the Next CEO, Wetherspoons CEO, Pru Leith and the rest of them should be apologising for their disastrous lack of judgement, not asking to be a special case. Bar staff and shop assistants are not special staff. I don't eat any meat, but when shopping for bacon for family, I have always bought UK due mainly to the lower animal husbandry standards in Denmark and Holland. I feel sorry for the pigs, but not in general for the farmers, the majority of whom voted for this mess. Same with the fish industry. They were all warned and sneeringly disregarded the advice of experts, so here we are, some of us involuntarily, but many in a catastrophe of their own choosing.