Gransnet forums

AIBU

Brexit is the cause of the shortages

(314 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

MaggieTulliver Mon 04-Oct-21 07:30:56

The foreign media seem to think we only have ourselves to blame for the current shortages because we voted for Brexit and I totally agree. The current posturing of this hopeless government says it all and the fact that Boris is offering temporary visas to foreign drivers is pathetic and an admission that it’s Brexit that has caused the current problems. Please try to convince me that Brexit has been good for our country - I’ve been angry about it since 2016! www.theguardian.com/business/2021/oct/03/only-yourselves-to-blame-uks-shortages-seen-from-abroad

GrannyGravy13 Mon 04-Oct-21 16:27:20

Urmstongran

A reporter on SKY news in London said “20% of petrol stations have no fuel”.

Why not turn that around?

“The good news is that here in London 80% of petrol stations do have fuel”.

Subtext: calm down people.

Very true, unfortunately it’s the old adage bad news sells more and nowadays gets more clicks

Barmeyoldbat Mon 04-Oct-21 16:28:24

How come we have never heard about heavy good driver shortage before all the problem of shortage? and lemon grove just because you don't have a shortage doesn't mean others don't, in fact I have just got back from doing my weekly shop at two different supermarkets, one in my home town and another 55 mins away and both had plenty of empty shelves. Also don't say never about Brexit being changed, we aren't going to live forever and there are plenty of young people who don't have their heads buried in the sand and see the advantages of being in the EU

ayse Mon 04-Oct-21 16:29:53

Lincslass

Jillyjosie

I can't believe English arrogance, yet again a suggestion that a solution to the disaster of Brexit is to reunite Ireland.
The Republic of Ireland is an independent country that had to fight for its independence from a colonial Britain which invaded and used Ireland over four centuries. Ireland is doing very well for itself and as part of the EU.
Always the way for Brexiters to cast about and blame anyone but themselves for the mess this country is now in. It upsets me to see those on low incomes and those disadvantaged in other ways suffering the most but when did the Tories ever care about these people. The Cabinet is stuffed with millionaires, including a hugely rich Chancellor, who look after themselves and their ilk.
It's been long pointed out that the propaganda for Brexit built up at the point where EU regulations about tax avoidance and wealth hidden overseas were about to be enacted. You won't see that in the Daily Telegraph of course or Murdoch's rags.
I agree with you all the way MT.

I think you are being rather unjust, the only place I’ve seen this called for is, yes on here. So please don’t lump us all in the same boat.

Grow stuff said reunite Ireland in the long term. The Good Friday Agreement has a clause that allows NI to have a referendum about being reunited with The Republic. Apparently there will be enough non-Unionists of voting age to make this a possibility. This does not mean that the Republic will wish for a unification to take place.

Having lived in the Republic near the border, the people there did not feel the need to import NI, with all their factional problems

Alegrias1 Mon 04-Oct-21 16:33:04

lemongrove

Algerias You appear to think that only Remainers could make balanced and informed decisions for themselves ( a very strange assumption.)
I think we all made balanced and informed decisions on leaving the EU bloc and gave it plenty of thought.
It was always going to take time to unravel ourselves from being bound to the EU and I expected difficulties, which will be overcome.We will do very well, but expecting things to go smoothly and perfectly in the first couple of years, especially during a Pandemic, is unreasonable.
Nursing anger about a democratic political decision is madness. Please don’t give all the ‘it wasn’t democratic’ and ‘we was robbed!’ Excuses.
Nobody would think they were robbed if voters had gone for the Remain option.

It will become very evident in the years to come that the decision to leave the EU was based on untrue statements made by politicians with personal gain in mind. Many people were able to see though these statements, knowing in fact what the situation was in reality, while others unfortunately chose to believe them. In addition, some people seem to have based their decision on erroneous ideas about democracy, Europe wide institutions and the misplaced conviction, fed by an untrustworthy and partisan press, that other European countries were jealous or dependent on the UK.

I don't subscribe to the "it wasn't democratic" or "we was robbed" ideas, I subscribe to the "voters were misled about what could be achieved" idea.

Many, many people know that what was being offered in the way of "freedom from Europe" was confected, utopian ideal. Those who didn't work that out, well, I will refrain from passing any judgement on their ability to reason.

lemongrove Mon 04-Oct-21 16:33:09

I never said that it did barmey (others experiencing sparse shelves at the shop) but we can all tell of our experiences.
The young people hardly bothered to vote in the referendum
Last time around.Whilst anything can happen in the world in the future, I doubt rejoining the EU will be on the menu anytime at all soon.

ayse Mon 04-Oct-21 16:36:28

Reuniting Ireland would certainly not mitigate the problems Britain currently faces. It could however ensure the British Union is put under even more pressure.

Urmstongran Mon 04-Oct-21 16:39:20

True GG13!

JaneJudge Mon 04-Oct-21 17:01:02

20% of petrol stations not having fuel sounds quite a lot. I passed 6 closed ones a couple of hours ago. One I think was open but I am not sure.

catladyuk Mon 04-Oct-21 17:04:53

all these comments just endorse our decision to obtain french residency and move to the house we have owned there for twenty seven years.
we used to divide our time between there and the uk, sometimes for more than six months, but now that is not possible due to the 90 day rule and this is the only way to spend more time there and to also have free access to the rest of europe. this will of course mean that the 90 day rule is reversed and it is in the uk that we will be spending less time.
i know we are not alone in taking this, some might think, drastic step

Whitewavemark2 Mon 04-Oct-21 17:12:32

Just went out -travelling in hope. Arrived home disappointed again!

Clearly one of the 20%

JaneJudge Mon 04-Oct-21 17:13:36

By the way, the co-op had lots of butternut squash makhani ready meals

Whitewavemark2 Mon 04-Oct-21 17:15:39

JaneJudge

Well bully for them Sainsbury’s has a shortage of chilled foods. Company gone into administration.

Kali2 Mon 04-Oct-21 17:27:24

Well they will be again 'Disgusted' from Tunbridge!

JaneJudge Mon 04-Oct-21 17:27:41

Whitewavemark2

JaneJudge

Well bully for them Sainsbury’s has a shortage of chilled foods. Company gone into administration.

it was about the only ready meals they had! the rest were empty. I wonder if it is the same company?

Whitewavemark2 Mon 04-Oct-21 17:31:43

Yes I bet it is they also supply Asda I think or not as the case may be.

vegansrock Mon 04-Oct-21 17:33:07

Has the slaughter of thousands of pigs on farms and being buried/ burned nothing to do with Brexit?

Urmstongran Mon 04-Oct-21 17:40:46

JaneJudge

I’m not surprised! Sounds horrid.
?

JaneJudge Mon 04-Oct-21 17:42:30

I thought exactly the same! grin I ended up buying a bottle of wine and some crisps

Urmstongran Mon 04-Oct-21 17:44:03

we used to divide our time between there and the uk, sometimes for more than six months, but now that is not possible due to the 90 day rule

Erm ... catladyuk I was under the impression that anyone staying in Europe for more than 180 days had to pay tax to that country, not the UK?
??

Urmstongran Mon 04-Oct-21 17:44:38

JaneJudge wise decision!

MaggieTulliver Mon 04-Oct-21 17:45:44

I’m so sorry haven’t managed to come back to this thread as have been at work and haven’t read every post. However am not surprised that no-one has managed to make me think Brexit has been a good thing!

The challenge for me is to hold my head up and be proud of my country and I can’t do that right now.

catladyuk Mon 04-Oct-21 18:03:17

yes urmstongran you are correct, we will now be paying tax in france and not the uk.
prior to 'brexit' ( whoever coined that word deserves to be shot!) there were no checks made on how long you were in the eu

p.s. i don't know how to Attach your words as a header to my comment1

Urmstongran Mon 04-Oct-21 18:16:44

Pre-Brexit the tax rules still applied actually. 183 days in each country & the ‘extra day’ determined where tax ought to have been paid.

halfpint1 Mon 04-Oct-21 18:18:16

Josianne

^And for labour too for the jobs the UK people don't want to do, or can't do, furlough or not. Would you want your unemployed grand-daughter to go and work in an abattoir? It is not for the faint hearted, for sure, and highly skilled and dangerous.^
Nothing to do with Brexit, but this is one thing I can't get my head round. I have several British acquaintances, two of them female, in Brittany who work in the poultry processing industry gutting chickens day after day for around €9 an hour. It is stinky and very tiring. Would they work for that back here? No way, so there must be an underlying reason why not.

Josianne that made me laugh. I think its well known by the Brits in France (and are of working age) that you will do work
which you wouldn't dream of doing in England, simply because you need the money and (more importantly) it has always been difficult to transfer your professional skills across the channel.
(fluency of language being a major stumbling block for many);

Hence you will find many Brits take on minimum wage jobs just like any other 'immigrant' does .

halfpint1 Mon 04-Oct-21 18:38:17

Actually I should add that taking even minimum wage work gets you into 'the system' and especially the health system so it is worth doing even if it is stinky and hard.