Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

dgd hates me

(108 Posts)
etheltbags1 Wed 21-Oct-15 21:50:46

I adore my little (almost 3 yrs old)DGD however recently she has been saying she doesn't like me or hates me. The other day she cringed away and hid under the clothes horse so I couldn't take her with me.
I have my faults but would never hurt her or say anything to upset her and this is really hurting me.
The other gran is spiteful and spends all her time and money on DGD buying her stuff every week, taking her for drinks in cafes and shopping. If you ask DGD what she does with the other gran she will say they go shopping for toys. DD has tried talking to her about other issues like feeding the child on a large bag of sweets just before her lunch, giving her chocolate every day etc and the other gran just cries and runs out of the room which means grandfather (step), gets would up on his wifes behalf and a row ensues. DGD watching all this. The Dad is very laid back and says we are over reacting, however every now and again he will have a huge row and everyone is not speaking again DGD sees and hears this.
I really wonder if the other gran is trying to turn DGD against me. How do I cope as I cant afford to buy treats every week, I wouldn't spoil her if I could afford it. I would rather put the money in the bank for her.
How can I convince my DGD that I love her so much.

etheltbags1 Mon 02-Nov-15 22:20:57

OMG rose, I never thought of the 'thunderous threes'. I imagined she would be sweet and obedient like she was before the tantrum stage.
I quail to think what she might get up to at 3, although I love the signs that she is developing her own personality, quite a strong one too.

rosequartz Tue 03-Nov-15 11:02:53

I imagined she would be sweet and obedient like she was before the tantrum stage

Ha ha ha!!
Well, of course, your DGD may be grin

You have to keep one step ahead

poshpaws Wed 04-Nov-15 01:40:54

I love it! (I trust you weren't insulted? LOL)

rosequartz Wed 04-Nov-15 12:23:46

The thing about 3 year old girls is that they never stop talking .....

To you, to other people, to themselves grin

Wendysue Wed 04-Nov-15 14:00:56

Maybe she was mad because you scolded her. Maybe she feels the overall family tensions and is taking it out on you. Maybe she's just being a silly kid. As long as you keep being the loving grandma you are, I'm sure everything will be ok in the end. I don't think she's truly rejecting you. I know her words and behavior hurt but "This too shall pass."

etheltbags1 Fri 06-Nov-15 10:22:09

haven't seen her this week as her parents are off work and taking her out. I wish I could see her and I wouldn't care just how horrid she was, I miss her so much.

Jane10 Sat 07-Nov-15 10:01:39

My Dad was a GP. He used to be so fed up when children's parents had told wee ones to be good or the Dr would give them a "big jag". Result was very scared kids when they had to come for routine injections.