Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Is it ok to tell lies to your grandchildren?

(41 Posts)
petitpois Thu 05-Nov-15 10:47:10

I'm not talking outright mean lies, but...hiding the truth that they're just not ready for.
Have been reading this in the Telegraph on the questions kids ask parents that they can't answer, which I know is a slightly different question. My granddaughter is always asking me which flags belong to which country. More often than not I can't answer and she frequently educates me!

But if the news is on she'll sometimes ask a question and I make up something to hide the ugly truth from her.
A few weeks ago there was an image of a plane crash (not the most recent one) on the TV and she asked what it was. I said it was an old plane there were restoring. I just know if I'd said it had crashed she would have asked why and then the questinos wouldn't have stopped. I do try to make sure the TV isn't on generally but sometimes when I'm looking after her I do try to catch the lunchtime news. She's 4.

GillT57 Fri 06-Nov-15 11:47:30

I would never lie, but would explain things that had happened in an age appropriate way. I think that when something awful happens and children do not understand it or adults are being obtuse they can sometimes get the wrong picture and worry more. I was always very uncomfortable with Father Christmas myth as I felt I was misleading my DC and was very glad when they worked it out. As to Christian beliefs ( or other religions) I dont have any but would always respect the beliefs of other family as Grandma2213

M0nica Fri 06-Nov-15 17:29:03

Grandma2213 said ^ Can anyone think of a better way to deal with this so that it will not upset parents with Christian beliefs?^ Hence my question

Penstemmon Fri 06-Nov-15 18:33:05

Always respond to questions children ask bit by bit so you don't overload them with information and always appropriate to age/ level of maturity.

So a question about 'what is that?' when viewing image of a crashed plane could be truthfully answered by saying ' It's a broken plane' If there are no more questions the child has the answer they wanted. If they ask a further question,e.g. 'how did it break' the answer might be , 'it bumped into something' etc etc.

Often when young children ask questions adults give more info than needed. My DD1, when aged 3, asked me How doesa baby get into a mummy's tummy? The answer 'Daddy puts it there' was sufficient at that time. grin

marionk Sat 07-Nov-15 10:16:43

Don't most of us lie when we talk about Father Christmas, tooth fairy, magic etc?

M0nica Sat 07-Nov-15 11:53:26

Isn't everything imaginary a lie? It is knowing the difference between imagination and reality.

nannienet Sat 07-Nov-15 12:24:08

Yes, I believe in just telling them what they need to know in a way that they will understand. I always make sure that just the Children's channels are on when I'm caring for any of the four Grandchildren. You just don't know what might appear on the screen otherwise, you don't get any warning!
Even sometimes when I'm reading stories I have to "ab lib" because they seem a bit scary and who wants Grandchildren having nightmares?

Dara Sat 07-Nov-15 13:12:49

No, don't lie

maryEJB Sat 07-Nov-15 16:13:47

My 4 yr old grandson seems to have become obsessed with dying and imagines people die in strict order of their age so that he'll die before his younger cousin etc. I found it difficult to explain because everything i said led to a further question. he didnt seem upset, just curious. I said pople didnt generally die until thy were very old )ie older than me!) but not necessarily in order of age.

maryEJB Sat 07-Nov-15 16:15:16

Sorry about punctuation & spelling - not got the hang of my ipad yet!

Penstemmon Sat 07-Nov-15 23:00:21

When my DGDs other grandad died the younger one, then 5, became a bit anxious about who else would die. My DD2 explained it as everybody having a 'turn to live' and that when a turn was over people died but some people had very long turns and some don't but most people have a turn of about 75 years. That seemed to allay her worries at that time!

Luckygirl Sat 07-Nov-15 23:13:50

My DD was afraid I would die when she was small - it was precipitated by reading Charlotte's Web, where the mother spider dies at the end. She followed me round for a long time after reading it, trying to make sure I would be safe.

chrissyh Sun 08-Nov-15 17:03:03

We all lie to our children when we tell them about Father Christmas, the Tooth Fairy, etc. so surely nobody is saying we shouldn't do this. I was put on the spot when my daughter, aged 9 (old, nowadays, to still believe) pleaded with me to tell her the truth whether Father Christmas was real or not. I did tell her the truth and she was really upset for a while but, at her age, I was torn between lying to let her believe for just a little longer or gaining her trust by telling the truth, which I'd always instilled in my children was the right thing to do.

Penstemmon Tue 17-Nov-15 22:21:15

Our 10yr old DGD has only very recently realised FC and TF are mum and dad. I suspect from school pals. However she is hugely protective about the info. so her little sister goes on believing for a bit longer... She obviously appreciated the 'magic' of believing such things and is happy to be part of the deception! grin

gillybob Tue 17-Nov-15 23:03:09

My 9 year old DGD is hovering I between believing in Santa and not. A few days ago she said something on the lines of "I'm not sure whether Santa is real or not grandma" I was just about to speak when her little sister (7) piped up "well I don't know how you think mummy and daddy could afford to buy all those toys"

Nuff said wink

starbird Wed 18-Nov-15 15:10:16

When my children were small the early evening news never showed anything violent etc but now they do. I think it is sad that today's children lose their innocence at a young age - whether it be about wars, death, sex or whatever. I suspect that in many homes the tv is on all day and they see and hear all sorts of unsuitable things. Pop stars and so called 'celebrities' are their new role models from the age of 8 if not before.
I would never lie to a child but would be economical with the truth, and there is no harm in falling back on 'you'll understand when you're older' or ' It's a secret for big girls (or boys) ' as a last resort.