Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Mum wants to be in delivery room

(92 Posts)
almostthere Mon 16-May-16 15:35:06

Hello. I hope it's ok if I ask you ladies your advice on something. I'm having my first baby soon and it will be the first grandchild for my parents!

Anyway, my lovely mum mentioned the other night that she'd love to be present for the birth. Now, don't get me wrong - we have a fabulous relationship, are very close and I want her to be in the hospital, absolutely.

But I do feel that I'd like to keep the birth itself entirely private, between my partner and I. Plus I don't really want anyone (who isn't there for a medical reason) down at the business end if you see what I mean. How to I let my mum know this without hurting her feelings? Or is hurting her feelings inevitable in this case? sad I know she'll be the best grandma. I just want her to understand it isn't personal. Just something I feel is deeply private between partner and I. Any advice greatly appreciated. Thank you

Bellasnana Mon 16-May-16 18:03:06

It should be your choice and your mum should understand. When DD2 gave birth to our only grandchild, she wanted me to be there. I told her that if, at any stage of the proceedings, she changed her mind, she should tell me and I would beat a hasty retreat. As it turned out, I was there throughout and seeing my own child give birth to her baby was the best moment of my life.

Having said all that, I was extremely close to my own dear mum but she would have been the last person I would have wanted whilst giving birth! It was just my DH who was there for all four of our babies' births, and I can understand you wanting it to be just the two of you. I'm sure your mum will understand. Good luck!

whitewave Mon 16-May-16 18:10:42

Baby gets started at a very intimate moment between partners, and should be allowed to arrive in t he world in the same way. Plenty of time to welcome her into the family.

EllenT Mon 16-May-16 18:11:52

My DD expects her first babe in November and I certainly don't expect to be asked to be present, and so wouldn't be hurt. As others have said, it's a time for the new parents to share, to my mind exclusively. Different if the expectant mum would be on her own, of course, but even then I wouldn't feel excluded if she chose (say) a close friend instead. You could say that you'd rather your mum saved her energies to help out afterwards - if you'd like that, of course!

KatyK Mon 16-May-16 18:23:14

I wouldn't have dreamed of asking my DD if I could be present. It would never have occurred to me to be honest. I think it is very personal between the baby's parents. However, my DD's mother-in-law did ask if she could attend. DD was horrified (they didn't particularly get on at the time). She gently told her that she just wanted herself and the baby's father to be there. I know quite a few mums who have been present at the births of their grandchildren. I think if they want you there they wil ask.

grannyactivist Mon 16-May-16 18:29:03

Hello almostthere and congratulations on your impending new arrival. flowers

In my view gentle honesty is always the best policy and once she gets over her initial disappointment your mum will be so delighted with her new grandchild that nothing else will matter.

My daughter shocked me by making the assumption that I WOULD be at the births of her two children - happily her two husbands (she was widowed) also wanted me to be present and when complications occurred they were both glad I was there. As parents though, it's our job to accede to the wishes of our children in such circumstances and I'm sure your lovely mum will be understanding. smile

Neversaydie Mon 16-May-16 18:29:53

I swore (first time) and screamed the second. I wouldnt have felt free to do either if my mum had been there.Even DH was a bit shocked (I rarely swear )
I wouldn't want to be there for DD s either (unless they were otherwise alone of course).DD 2 is a midwife and DD1 says she'd quite like her there though..

notanan Mon 16-May-16 18:29:53

Does your mum have friends/relatives who were there at their own GCs births recently?

I think it's hard in a way because some people do chose their mums, some people actualy don't even want their partners and just want their mums.. which is great everyone should have the support they need.

And obviously GPs who have been at their GCs births will be buzzing about it, but I have notice that sometimes they (unknowingly, and it's understandable they're v excited) gush about it in a way that could be a little insensitive to GPs who are loved by their DDs but just not invited to the births.

It's all well meant, but I have noticed some unfortunative wording on facebook in particular from new grans who were at births, and I think to myself "oh dear, it's not the barometer of how much a DD loves her mum" IYKWIM

Does that make ANY sense grin

So having that in mind might help you phrase how you explain to her. Lots of reassurance that its not a reflection on her or your relationship or the relationship she'll have with your baby.

Luckygirl Mon 16-May-16 19:28:38

I was glad when my DDs had the freedom to choose when they wanted others involved after the birth.

We went to the house of the last born when we had a call to ask us round. We stayed for a short while, then went to leave as I did not want her to get tired, but my DD took me by the hand and said please don't leave, it is now that we need you. They made their choices and it all turned out well.

As soon as our children set up their own family units we have to take a back seat. I do not in the least think that this means they do not still love us and value what we have to offer.

Grannyben Mon 16-May-16 19:52:08

I always feel that those who were there at the conception should be the ones present at the birth. That rules your mum out unless, of course, you wanted her to be there. I would be inclined to pretend her conversation with you had never happened and launch myself into a conversation telling her she will be the first to get a phone call after the birth and you do hope she available to give support and help when you are back at home.
I must say my own daughters would just say 'you're not coming' but I'm a bit of a coward and hate to upset people

HildaW Mon 16-May-16 19:58:28

almostthere, Please do not feel you are in anyway odd or an unnatural daughter.
I've always viewed childbirth as a very personal intimate matter, almost private (if a room full of healthcare workers can be deemed private). What I mean is that childbirth is first and foremost something between the couple involved and its their wishes that should be respected at all costs. I was not involved in my daughter's two births but I had always had every bit of news and gossip as the pregnancies progressed and I can remember word for word the two post baby conversations I had with my SIL when he phoned me within moments of the births.

I must admit I get a bit hot under the collar when Grandparents talk about 'being given' their first grandchild - as if they are somehow entitled to a share. I have a lovely relationship with my daughter and her children, they phone me with gossip and love visiting often arguing at great length whose turn it is to pass on news or help cook etc. I was not 'given' a grandchild - I have a Grandma/Grandchild relationship that is wonderful and so very rewarding and full of love - I did not have to be there when they were born to know I love them or that they adore me and their Grandfather.

Purpledaffodil Mon 16-May-16 22:06:01

DD did ask me to be present for the birth of GS 1, but decided mid labour to have just her (now) ex husband. Am I very wicked to say how relieved I was? I was not looking forward to seeing her in pain and was still able to meet dear GS when he was just minutes old. Win win really smile

Deedaa Mon 16-May-16 22:11:35

Speaking as a grandmother I think the whole idea is weird. It would never have occurred to me to have my mother present. DD never suggested it and I was quite happy to meet GS1 next day. I met GS2 sooner because she was in and out within hours. I can't imagine that hospitals want their delivery rooms cluttered up with extraneous people and why would you want to hang around for hours in a waiting room? There's a reason fathers used to lurk in the pub!

harrigran Mon 16-May-16 23:43:58

I would not expect to be present at the birth of GC, it is an intimate time and no place for spectators. I had both of my children on my own, MIL was downstairs when I had the second one but she did not enter the room until baby was dressed and wrapped in a shawl.
To be honest I feel a little uncomfortable about a mother asking if she can be present, a firm no is probably best so there is no misunderstanding or expectation.

Alea Mon 16-May-16 23:48:45

My newest DGS was born just 24 hours ago and I am adamant that unless DD had been on her own and needed a birth partner, there is no way I would want to invade that "space". Mothers who are about to become grandmothers need to step away, to allow their DC to be the adults they were 30 odd years ago, and to relinquish their pivotal position in the family.
The relationship with a DD changes when she leaves home, marries, starts a family and I wonder if some of the relationship traumas of mothers/daughters and in laws stem from this unwillingness to step back. Yes, of course you are a mother as long as you have your children, but as a grandmother your role is different.
Your mother's intentions almostthere , may be the best in the world, but just as your baby will start the long process of independence when that umbilical cord is cut, your mother needs to slacken off her ties to you and let your partner, the baby's father take his place with you.
Me? If DD has another baby (and after 3 days of labour and a bit of a crisis at the end, she may well have second thoughts) but if she should, I am putting in for a GA and that is just for me!

Nelliemoser Tue 17-May-16 09:55:24

Almosthere Stick to your guns and to be blunt don't allow your mum to muscle in on the event.
Most of us grans feel very motherly about seeing their new grand children and it can feel like it's "grannies" last chance to get that motherly feeling back for youself.

It's between you and your partner. I have watched "one born" and you see some really useless relatives sitting about giving the impression they just want to be seen on the telly.
Don't let her in to your delivery if you do not want her.

Other posters seem to have been a little less blunt than me.
Do try and be more diplomatic about telling her than I was.

I hope all goes well.

Nelliemoser Tue 17-May-16 09:57:26

oneself not youself.

almostthere Tue 17-May-16 10:02:11

oh you are all so kind. Thank you so much for your advice, I truly appreciate you all taking the time to reply to me. I phoned my mum this morning and told her (gently!) that I would prefer to keep the birth between my partner and I....and she was fine (phew). After a little pause, told me she understood. To be honest, it looks like Iwas worrying unnecessarily as she had completely forgotten she'd asked!!

So again, thank you all for putting my mind at ease about telling her. I'm so glad I have, and can properly relax now.

MiniMouse Tue 17-May-16 10:09:59

That's brilliant almostthere! Now you can relax and get on with being an 'almostmum' smile sunshine flowers

LullyDully Tue 17-May-16 10:24:21

So pleased.it has turned out well . Bless you, have a super baby and granny can have the third kiss.

almostthere Tue 17-May-16 10:25:02

thanks MiniMouse - yes, I think it's 'almost' time to put my feet up with a cup of tea after that as well! Ah, the relief...

almostthere Tue 17-May-16 10:26:02

thank you *lullyDully flowers she will be ecstatic, I know

Lupatria Tue 17-May-16 10:29:11

i had my first baby a long time ago [a girl who is now 45 years!!] but wouldn't have felt comfortable having my mum in the delivery room with me. i expected my other half to be there though as i felt he was part of the whole process.
my second baby was born at home [he decided to come quicker than expected] and my other half almost delivered him!! if the midwife was five minutes later than she was then he would have!! but, again, i wouldn't have felt comfortable with my mum there with me.
giving birth is a private thing between husband and wife [or partners] and mums shouldn't expect to be there as well.

mumofmadboys Tue 17-May-16 10:31:19

Hope you have a good delivery. All the best.

woo69 Tue 17-May-16 10:48:13

When my youngest daughter had my first grandchild she was no longer with the father and asked me to be with her at the birth, she was induced so we were there a couple of days and I had a funeral to attend so my other daughter stayed with her. I returned and then hubby turned up and although I was the one holding her hand and giving encouragement he was also in the delivery room (stood in a corner). It was amazing to be there. When eldest had her son she had her partner there but had an emergency section. We went to the hospital that evening and saw her and the baby who was in SCBU. youngest is expecting again but her partner will be with her and the topic has not been raised. My opinion is that is is something that you have to be invited to do and if at all possible it should be just the father who is present.
My instructions for this birth are to contact the pram shop and arrange to go and pick up the already purchased pram once I know she is in labour lol

SusieB50 Tue 17-May-16 10:48:21

I didn't want to be there at the birth of DGD as I agree it is a very private time between partners , however I was called up as a back up when DSiL was finding it so very stressful and distressing ! It can be very much so to see your loved one in so much pain and feel so useless .
I kept well out of the way once DGD was born, and left immediately to allow them their private time. Even though I was a nurse and had seen many babies deliver ,I found the birth highly emotional ,and I was privileged to be there. But it would not have upset me at all if DD had not wanted me there.This time round (very soon) I will have the most important job of looking after that DGD !