Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Neighbour Problems

(54 Posts)
Seb2015 Tue 07-Jun-16 11:06:43

I've never done this before but reading the forums has made me realise what a wise bunch you are, so here goes.

About two years ago I got new neighbours in the house that is attached to mine. They are a young couple with two children and are pleasant. The bloke's FiL, however is a nightmare. My daughter once visited me and parked in front of their house (not blocking the drive)and the FiL went ape, screaming abuse in the road. (He doesn't even live there and his Son in law and DD daughter do nothing to stop him). Horrific - and intimidating. He has continued to be abusive every time I see him.

Anyway, moving on - my Son in law has been working on my garden and has put some garden netting around some vegetables so my two dogs stay off it - and he has tacked it to the dividing fence, which belongs to my neighbours. The FiL immediately jumped on this and demanded it was taken down - again shouting, abusive etc which got my SiL's back up and he refused. Consequently, they have cut my side of the hedge in the front garden down so I have no privacy and say it is because of the nail in the fence. What would you so?

M0nica Thu 09-Jun-16 14:29:36

Could I just pick up a point made on page 1 of this thread.

The fact that next door replaced the fence does not mean that it is their fence. Who owns the fence will be stipulated in the deeds associated with the house and will have been entered on the enquiry form the previous owners will have completed when you bought the property. If you do not have a copy of the deeds the solicitor you used for the purchase should still have the file associated with the purchase. Contact them and ask them to check who owns the fence. It could be you.

Elysium Thu 09-Jun-16 16:26:29

Difficult to begin, but my DS of 43 and his wife have not spoken to me or our family for almost 4 years and I don't anticipate in the foreseeable future, they ever will. I am desperately sad that I don't see him and despite after a confrontation with his wife, I tried to call and email, but all attempts were rebuffed. I had known for a number of years that she had a problem of jealousy with my DD who is 4 years younger than her brother, forever niggling me with negative comments about her until eventually I noticed my DS doing the same to me. I love my DS dearly and yet I constantly defended my DD, knowing she would be horrified if she knew what they were saying about her. It culminated 4 years ago, in my DIL coming to my place of work and informing me that my son had cancer. I was terribly upset to hear the news and tried to ask her questions about his treatment and how he was, instead I heard a barrage of nasty comments about my DD. I was distraught and asked her to leave as I couldn't listen to this anymore. Within minutes I heard from my son that I had upset his wife and they no longer wished to speak to me or my daughter. I tried to protest that I was terribly concerned about his illness and would give a few days cooling off period, but it needed to be discussed. He or she never spoke again to us. My daughters attitude has changes from upset to anger as she is a good person and doesn't know where all thus has come from. We always thought DIL was a lovely girl, who occasionally became very emotional. We empathised with her and was always supportive. I was the only person invited to their wedding, alongside DILS mother, who was a lovely person too. He cut off contact with a lot of his friends and all family, so we were the last to be cut out of their lives. Sorry about this long letter, it's the first time I've written it down. I find it difficult to sleep and think of him constantly but have tried to move on. I don't know where they live now, so do you think it's wise to let him go?

mumofmadboys Thu 09-Jun-16 17:07:38

Elysium. Unfortunately you have written your post on one about neighbour problems. It would be much better to start a new thread and then I'm sure lots of people will come along and offer supportive advice. I'Msorry things have broken down between you and your son but I would keep trying to renew contact rather than lose him.