Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

I've turned into a scary cat

(66 Posts)
morethan2 Sun 15-Jan-17 12:29:06

I have developed an aversion/fear of tackling anything that may be difficult or upsetting. An example of this is my pension form. It's been a nightmare. It came late because of the Christmas post. Sickness at work meant there was no one to countersign or advise me. I filled part of it wrongly so have had to get another sent out. They were very reluctant to give me one and that delayed it. It's here now and here I am sitting here feeling sick at the thought of tackling it. There are other things that affect me in the same way. I'm normally really good at facing up to things. I used to be very forthright and would be very confident at standing my ground. I was never one to avoid confrontations if I felt it needed confronting. So what's going on here. It's honestly nothing to do with some deep psychological reason of not wanting to retire. Although it's a bit scary I know it's right and anyway it's been happening long before this. I'm sick with apprehension and it's wearing me out.

sarahellenwhitney Tue 17-Jan-17 19:45:45

When I lost my DH I was literally thrown to the wolves when it came to dealing with just about everything and anything that involved forms.

I still, after many years of having to cope, have a moment of panic when what looks to be 'official' drops through the letterbox.

f77ms Tue 17-Jan-17 20:05:37

Am I right in thinking that it is not just about filling in the Pension form but a general feeling of being overwhelmed by things that you would normally take in your stride?

I get like this when I have a lot of stress , all of a sudden everything seems too much to cope with and I get terribly muddled in my head . Form filling , phone calls , etc become a major hurdle , I end up with a headache feel tearful and very frustrated with myself . I can only suggest that you try to get some help with the things you are finding difficult but basically you are not on your own with these feelings . Give yourself extra time to do things and always in the mornings when you are the freshest , give yourself a time limit on how long you will spend and stop when you start to feel that overwhelmed feeling . flowers

GrannyBing Tue 17-Jan-17 21:10:52

I know that feeling well these days Morethan2. As I get older anything that's at all complicated feels like a mountain to climb. I reckon it's because I can't multitask anymore. I used to juggle my life, like most women, but nowadays I do best when I deal with just one thing at a time.
Set aside plenty of time with no distractions (not easy, I know, with a busy life), not even the TV or radio on. Also have a nice table or desk to sit at for doing daunting things like form filling, maybe with a candle or a few flowers, and a cup of tea. I do this when I have to go on comparison websites for insurance renewals!
I gather you're dealing with a lot at present so it's understandable if you're finding it hard to focus.
It probably sounds silly to all the highly capable multitasking Gnetters out there but I really do have to "trick" myself into getting on with difficult tasks.
Also I sometimes try aromatherapy, you can get Tisserand or Bach for confidence, focus, energy etc. Not sure they actually help a lot, but maybe a little bit.

PamelaJ1 Tue 17-Jan-17 21:22:46

I've just done mine and I was surprised by what they want to know. I thought they knew all about me anyway. I did mine on line but first of all I had to get a gateway number and code. I am reasonably competent on the computer but it is a bit of a faff.
However you can save the form as you go so if there is a question that needs a bit of thought you can leave it till you have found the answer. I had to ask my accountant a question or two.
One of my friends volunteers at the CAB and helps with this sort of thing regularly but of course you do have to know the answers yourself.
good luck

Birene Tue 17-Jan-17 21:58:42

You are definitely not alone in your feelings. If it helps, stop trying to multi-task and choose one thing that has to be done at a time. See that done to it's completion and then but only then, tackle another. Prioritise.
I agree with everyone who has suggested Citizens Advice Bureau. Give them a call.
Also, I don't know where you live of course but many local councils like my own have various help centres who assist with form filling amongst other things for free. Call your council.
There's also the option of going down the medical/ NHS route as this is causing you stress. I'd suggest speaking to your doctor about anxiety and for useful agencies who could help with the things that are stressing you. NHS Healthwatch comes to mind. You can speak to them on the phone and they can provide you with a list of agencies who may be able to assist.
Good luck and don't worry further. Your feelings of being overwhelmed, especially with the bureaucratic language of so many forms is not at all uncommon.

morethan2 Wed 18-Jan-17 07:08:34

I've sent the form off. I'm really sorry about my ramblings. I posted some time back about my lost mobile. ( still lost but at least deactivated) I know my hysteria isn't really about any of this mundane stuff. It's about my MiL having a long slow decline 200 miles away and watching my DiL suffer along with worrying about her, my son and the children. I think perhaps I am also feeling some anxiety about retirement. There's nothing I can do about any of this really big stuff. Just wait it out. So I think my emotional brain unconsciously finds somthing smaller to get hysterical about. These bouts can last for minutes or weeks if I'm really unlucky. I should go to the doctors but I'm really trying to avoid it. I don't really want to be medicated. I'm just having a really shitty awful time. What's worse is that there's a strong chance than rather than things getting better I know they can get worse so I'm apprehensive. The whole thing is exhausting. Thanks for putting up and supporting me. I do everything I can to contain all this emotions at work because I don't want to be the constant moaner. I can't do it with my family who are also emotionally drained. So you get it. Sorry.

cornergran Wed 18-Jan-17 08:00:27

morethan, never apologise, you are managing so much, of course the mundane gets difficult at times, let off steam as much as you need to. Really pleased the form has gone. One less pressure, you did it smile.

Auntieflo Wed 18-Jan-17 08:48:13

Morethan, you have found that there are friends here who will listen and support, so let rip, moan, whinge, shout, rant, whatever, let it out and get it off your chest. We will listen, give advice, if we can, and send you virtual hugs. Don't be sorry, nobody can bear all the load by themselves, and it does help to write it down. I can't say that I have been of any help to you, but reading, and keeping your problems close, I try. God bless and keep on letting Gransnet " take the strain".

EmilyHarburn Wed 18-Jan-17 11:32:18

Thanks for this thread. Just getting ready to renew my driving licence. Am going to try to do it on line as the paperwork suggests. I am getting it out this afternoon when DH is in town so that I have uninterrupted peace to have my go and then if I can't do it ask his help when he gets back. I'm not even sure if I have a .gov.uk personal account to sign into or not. Going to be a learning curve after lunch.

or if its an absolute failure will dash into town to friendly post office.

SussexGirl60 Wed 18-Jan-17 17:54:47

Try not to worry, it's just stress. Perhaps you can take a little time out, to relax or just rest and give yourself some tlc

wot Wed 18-Jan-17 20:59:35

More than, flowerscupcakebrew

GrannyLondon Thu 19-Jan-17 11:10:01

*Read it through, put it away .
*Read it through again
*Have any info you need to hand.
*Fill it in with a pencil a section at a time.
*Read it through again.
*Fill in with biro.

You might be able to email or phone them for advice.

I hope you don't mind me using points, I find them easier to follow, plus I've just discovered how to do them on our computer. Good luck morethan2.

GrannyLondon Thu 19-Jan-17 11:21:11

Sorry more than2, I didn't have time to read through all the posts and I am sorry life is so difficult for you.
No bullet points from me this time just flowers & hugs.x

Dandibelle Mon 10-Apr-17 13:59:34

I know this is a bit late but ......
Age concern will sort it out for you. Any forms that you find difficult they will help you with

Bobbysgirl19 Mon 10-Apr-17 18:12:25

I can totally relate to your post morethan2. In my case it's a loss of confidence issue. As Jalima and others suggested fill the form out in pencil first I also tackle what I consider difficult issues by doing it step by step 'salami slicing'. Regarding form filling - do a couple of pages a day if it is a long form.
The satisfaction you get by completing a task helps with rebuilding your confidence.
Best wishes.